Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Victoria, BC

We're planning a March 2010 getaway there.  Looks as though there are plenty of nice B & B's.  We don't mind the cold, but are there good museums or other indoor activities which would be fun?  Anyone have restaurant recommendations?

Re: Victoria, BC

• There is the Royal BC Museum.  We posed out front, but we didn't actually go inside.  Much to my disappointment, my husband isn't much of a museum guy.  He's not a garden guy either, so we also didn't do Butchart.

Here are some posts about our short trip:

Tea at The Fairmont Empress, strolling around downtown, tour of Parliament

Our hotel

Seaplane tour and breakfast at John's Place

Good luck, and have fun!

• We were there for part of our honeymoon -- end of March/beginning of April & it wasn't "cold".  We wore jackets, but felt more like fall -- they're weather is like that of Memphis.

We loved teh Royal BC Museum & Butchart.  We also enjoyed touring Craigdaroch castle http://www.craigdarrochcastle.com/

Miniature world was fun as well.  It's housed in a back/side entrance of the Empress hotel http://www.miniatureworld.com/

Definitely go to Chinatown as well -- we had some great food.

Here's a site with all kinds of places: http://www.vancouverislandweb.com/bc/victoriabc/touristattractions.htm

• As for restaurants, we loved the German place http://www.rathskeller.ca/
  • We stayed at Miraloma on the Cove a few weeks ago.  Stunning.  Great service!

www.miraloma.ca

• I agree that making a reservation for high tea is a great way to spend an hour or two! Since we were on a tight budget, we booked at the White Heather Tea Room instead of the Empress, and thought it was fantastic and very authentic, if not as fancy ... for half the price :)

It's a great city to wander around if the weather's nice - we walked at  Beacon Hill Park, which opens up to a path along the coast with gorgeous views of Washington and the Olympic mountains.

Although we did whale watching elsewhere on our trip, I've heard Victoria's a great place to do this - have fun!

• We just went this past August and had a wonderful time. Also, look into the nightly ghost walking tours...very interesting even though it did sound a little embellished :-)  Have fun!
  • It won't be cold, maybe a little rainy though.  Our westcoast weather is the same as your westcoast weather, unless you think March weather in Portland is cold...Confused

Anyways, definitely go to John's Place as Weemz did, delish breakfast items (YUM eggs benny), but be prepared for a wait.

Milestone's on the inner harbour is good for lunch or dinner, one of my faves.

There are many lovely B&Bs in Victoria, I haven't stayed in one there yet, but have had my eye on a few:

www.villamarcopolo.com / www.humboldthouse.com

www.andersenhouse.com / www.amethyst-inn.com

www.fairholmemanor.com

Another indoor activity that wasn't mentioned, is the Butterfly Gardens: www.butterflygardens.com

A horse-drawn carriage ride "outside in the cold", lol, would be nice, if you're into the whole romantic thing: www.tallyhotours.com / www.victoriacarriage.com

HTH! Smile

Just celebrated 6 blessed wedded years! 9.24.06
    imageimageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I second the ghost walk tours! I didn't much care for the Royal BC Museum, but the free tour of parliment was pretty neat. Don't waste your money on the undersea garden.
  • Victoria is my favorite place, I love visiting there! There's been a lot of great suggestions already and I have a few more to add. Oak Bay, especially Oak Bay Ave is a real interesting place to visit, it has a European charm and has little local artisan shops, bakeries and flower shops. Abkhazi Garden is nice as well though it might be too early in the season to see much of the garden unless some of the trees have started blooming - which they might have. There's a little restaurant there too with pretty decent food.

IMO, Beacon Hill Park is the best place in town, but I've been going there ever since I was a very little girl, so part of the allure for me might be nostalgia.

My parents live in Victoria and their favorite restaurant is The Black Olive in downtown Victoria. I've eaten there as well and the food is very, very good. If you like lamb, my dad claims they have the best lamb he's had. The Black Olive can be a bit on the pricey side, but then again just about everything in Victoria is expensive compared to where I live.

Have fun!