Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Hoarders anyone?

For anyone else watching this A&E show with the 7-year-old hoarder, is it just me or is this terrible parenting at its finest?  Of course your kid likes to keep all of the toys he can get his hands on, collect crap, and not clean up after himself.  He's SEVEN.  That's your job as a parent to enforce those habits or at least make an effort to do so. 

We just started it on the DVR, but where is he getting all of the crap?  Shouldn't it be the parents' job to control what comes into the house? 

Re: Hoarders anyone?

• I didn't watch it yet, but it seems now is the best time to correct his behavior and enforce proper habits.  Hopefully the counseler can help the parents as much as their son.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Just a heads up that it gets more and more frustrating to watch as the episode goes on. Also I love your doggeh. :)
  • image katelaff:
    Also I love your doggeh. :)

Thanks!  Yours is adorable as well!

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • The thing I can't stand about this show is that they clean like a corner of a room and then they "run out of time" and leave. WTF? How is anyone going to get better that way? They really need to get someone on this show that can stay until the ENTIRE house is done. Though I will admit I have trouble changing the channel once I turn it on.
  • image ritzgirl34:
    The thing I can't stand about this show is that they clean like a corner of a room and then they "run out of time" and leave. WTF? How is anyone going to get better that way? They really need to get someone on this show that can stay until the ENTIRE house is done. Though I will admit I have trouble changing the channel once I turn it on.
    I don't think A&E could afford to hire these people for the months and possibly YEARS it would take to make them part with enough junk to have an entire house clean, you know? At least in the case of most of them. This show is just. So frustrating. Throw the cotton swab away, dammit!
  • Did you see the one with the lady with the broken tile? My god, just let it go! Maybe they should barter with these people like they do on "Clean House". Throw out the broken tile and we'll refloor your living room. Show them that letting go of crap makes room for less, nicer, newer things.
  • DH and I said the same thing about the barter system! Like if you give up all of these snowglobes or whatever it may be, the show will buy you a china cabinet. Though we obviously have zero experience with these psychological issues and this is probably the most temporary and unsuccessful solution ever.
  • I totally agree about the 7 year old, how did they let it get to that point?  Crazy. 
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
  • It wasn't just about the 7 year old, the mom is also a hoarder. He is learning this from her. If the mother can't throw it away, why would she restrict her son?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I keep wondering about the full treatment aspect. ?Those individuals need long-term therapy and psychotropic drugs. ?I think A&E is doing what they can for them, but PP is right -- they couldn't stay as long as would be necessary to work them through their issues.

I was heartbroken for the guy last night. ?He was between a rock and a hard place -- clean up his yard or 90 days in jail. ?He kept crying and I just wanted to hug him.?

• I am equally entertained and disgusted by this show.  But I can't stop watching it.  I haven't seen the ep with the 7 year old but it def seems like bad parenting.  I know when I was young like that I wanted to keep every single one of my toys and it would be the end of the world if someone took them away.

ps - I love all the Bostons you girls have!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Dh and I are now intrigued by this show and don't miss an episode.  It's made me go through my closets and cabinets and throw away anything I don't need.  I never want to be a hoarder. 
  • image michaeltrish:
    Dh and I are now intrigued by this show and don't miss an episode.  It's made me go through my closets and cabinets and throw away anything I don't need.  I never want to be a hoarder. 

This show made me realize I have some hoarding tendencies. For example, during Back to School time at Wal-Mart, the 24 box of crayons are like 25 cents...I will buy 4 of them and just keep them at the house. I'm thankful for the show cause I never want to get that bad.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I cleaned out and organized a room in my house too because of this show.  :)
  • image katelaff:
    I cleaned out and organized a room in my house too because of this show.? :)

I am glad that I am not the only one who has been guilted/inspired by this show. ?I am currently craigslisting a bunch of stuff and working through my basement because I don't want to get to that point.

?

The one thing to remember is that these people really can't help themselves. ?They are in capable of making normal decisions (oh, this coupon has expired...gotta trash it!). ? That is why they need long term therapy, drugs and organizational help.

• I love hoarders. If anyone thinks they have a problem they need to watch these people. I feel bad for some of them. But like the Cat Lady how do you go with all those dead cats and dont realize!!!
  • It's horribly sad to me that a 7-year old has already gotten so far into hoarding.  I do hold out hope that he stands a better chance of overcoming it because of his young age.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapies have pretty decent sucess rates for children and adolescents.  Sure, it's not good parenting, but his mom has the same mental illness, so how was he supposed to learn those skills?

Re: Running out of time: The thing is, just getting the hoarders' homes cleaned up doesn't solve their issues.  If it isn't THEIR effort that goes into the process, then they will just fall back on their own ways.  My guess is that this could take years, if they're ultimately successful at all.

The theme I'm starting to see from this show is that the hoarders feautred on it are usually only in treatment because the consequences have gotten severe, like they could lose their home or family.  I know relapses are common with hoarding, so my question is how many people continue to progress once the immediate threat has gone?

• This show definitely helps motivate me to de-clutter and clean my home! I have family members who are hoarders and I know it could easily be me. I really feel for the family members when i am watching the show. Many times their loved ones are choosing ?things? over people.   I have not watched this week?s episode yet but it sounds like a real messy one! I love the episodes where it looks like the person is going to be successful at overcoming their OCH disorder. My favorite was one of the first episodes where the guy had a small apartment, faced be evicted and was sleeping on a mass of garbage under his bed. He wanted to become a writer and the lady helping him would ask him??does this object help you reach your goal?? or ?how will this object help enhance your life??. I like that approach better then bartering. Before watching the show I did not know how many people suffered from OCH. I hope this show helps to educate people about the disorder and give hope to those who are suffering from it.

• That seven year old is not a hoarder.

He's a kid in an overly permissive environment.

• This show and the OCD one after Intervention are both interesting and disturbing. There is no reason, these people are just sick. I get so sad then I start thinking about the possibility of my kids having some sort of mental issues like these and I get really sad.
  • I was not paying attention when the female hoarder with the glasses made her big revelation. What was it?