Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Samoa

Well, I'm sure you've all heard by now about the tsunami that hit there yesterday.  Awful, I hate hearing about these disasters, especially with loss of life :(

I hope the people can recover sooner than later from this disaster.  And my heart goes out to those affected and who have lost loved ones...

So weird thing is, I've never even given Samoa a second thought as a travel destination.  I've been looking at many pics of the destruction but also other ones, and it's total paradise, absolutely gorgeous!  How come no one talks about it?  I have never seen a single post about it on here.

Look at this pic - does that not make you drool or what?? 

So I guess two beautiful resorts have been destroyed, according to the news report.  I looked them up, one is the Coconuts Beach Club: www.coconutsbeachclub.com.  Do you know they have overwater bungalows there for only $399/night?  That's awesome compared to Bora Bora prices... The other one is Sinalei Reef Resort & Spa: www.sinalei.ws.  It's really nice too. Check out the Honeymoon Fale Villa, beautiful!

Hope they can rebuild those resorts.  I am seriously putting Samoa on my travel wish list...Paradise

Has anyone ever been there or thought of going?

Just celebrated 6 blessed wedded years! 9.24.06
image image Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Samoa

• Hey EB!  Saw your 2nd post on the Vegas thread.  I have been pretty MIA lately, mostly because I'm back to teaching all day and going to grad school at night.  I *should* be planning the elopement/wedding, but I still haven't decided which direction I want to go in.  I want to hang my head in shame! 

I was so shocked to hear about the tsunami.  I checked up on the TripAdvisor boards as soon as I got home yesterday to see what people were saying.  How terribly sad and scary.  When FI and I started thinking about the South Pacific for the wedding, we got a dvd from the library and it had some info on Samoa.  From what I had read and heard, it was more of a "backpackers'" destination, but those resorts would suggest otherwise.  I hope they are able to get them back up and running. And that picture....

• I would looooove to visit Samoa. It looks like a destination with a lot to offer- culture, hiking, waterfalls, beautiful beaches (or natural beauty in general). We probably won't be going there any time soon though. Our list is very very long...
  • Samoa and Guam are the "poor person's Hawaii..." this is according to people I used to work with when I lived in Hawaii.
  • image JL0628:
    Samoa and Guam are the "poor person's Hawaii..." this is according to people I used to work with when I lived in Hawaii.

Really?  Well I'm going to be one of those poor people then, and go stay at that Coconuts Beach Club, lol!

• image girlinchicago:

Hey EB!  Saw your 2nd post on the Vegas thread.  I have been pretty MIA lately, mostly because I'm back to teaching all day and going to grad school at night.  I *should* be planning the elopement/wedding, but I still haven't decided which direction I want to go in.  I want to hang my head in shame! 

Hi, nice to "see" you! Well planning vacations is part of the fun anyway.  Believe it or not but sometimes I don't want to firm up all our vacation plans to a certain destination because I still want to keep planning...lol.

Don't worry you still have LOTS of time to decide - who knows, by the time it comes around you may have picked out a whole new place to go, lol! Big Smile

• image JL0628:
    Samoa and Guam are the "poor person's Hawaii..." this is according to people I used to work with when I lived in Hawaii.
    Somehow I bet Samoa is 100x better.. Hawaii looks so uninteresting to me. Samoa looks incredible
  • I've only been to the Samoa airport (when flying to and from Tonga in May--the Air New Zealand flight has a short layover in Apia), but definitely would love to actually spend real time in the country at some point! The only issue is that there is only 1 nonstop flight a week to/from the US, and it is on Tuesday both directions. With crossing the Int'l dateline, a week-long trip there really only gives you 5 nights, and 12 seems a bit long. But it could also be a great stopover on the way to or from New Zealand or Australia if you wanted more flexibility in the number of nights there.

FWIW, Tonga is also gorgeous (one of these days I will actually get around to putting pics and reviews from my trip there in my blog) and definitely worth a visit as well!

• Samoa is a beautiful place, so is Vanuatu, Tonga, Rarotonga, Aitutaki, etc. 

They are SO much better than Hawaii. I imagine it's what Hawaii must have looked like before the big resorts came in and took it all over. We got a free stopover with AirNZ on our way to Auckland, so we chose Rarotonga, and couldn't have been happier.

I wouldn't consider them a poor man's Hawaii - they are definitely cheaper locations than Hawaii, but I think they are way better.  

• image princessbridega:

I've only been to the Samoa airport (when flying to and from Tonga in May--the Air New Zealand flight has a short layover in Apia), but definitely would love to actually spend real time in the country at some point! The only issue is that there is only 1 nonstop flight a week to/from the US, and it is on Tuesday both directions. With crossing the Int'l dateline, a week-long trip there really only gives you 5 nights, and 12 seems a bit long. But it could also be a great stopover on the way to or from New Zealand or Australia if you wanted more flexibility in the number of nights there.

Okay, well that may explain it.  I was wondering about flights there actually.  Probably mega expensive too?

FWIW, Tonga is also gorgeous (one of these days I will actually get around to putting pics and reviews from my trip there in my blog) and definitely worth a visit as well!

Please DO!  I love your blog, so many gorgeous pics of your travels!  Let me know when you do k? Smile

• Aw...thank you E_B! Will definitely keep you posted--I have been so bad about updating the blog lately, but am really trying to get some new posts up asap!

The airfares to Tonga/Samoa actually are not terrible, though not exactly cheap. Usually somewhere around $1K/ticket r/t, so pretty comparable to flying anywhere else in the South Pacific, and resorts/food/etc. tend to be less expensive than in Fiji, FP, etc!

• Yeah, I was pretty sadened to see/hear the news about the tsunami there. We've talked about going and the little research I've done makes it look awesome. Ever since our trip to Fiji, we've just had an enormous desire to go back to the south pacific.
  • one of my college roommates teaches at the university of the marshall islands and is always posting fabulous pics of various pacific island nations that she visits.

i would love to get there some day.

• Off topic, but Linzee I love your sig pic--too adorable!!
  • We were just watching Survivor and thinking how maybe that could be our next vacation spot.  But I agree with Princessbride...12 days would be too long....5 too short.