International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

flying to US with your non-American DH

He is not a citizen, but has a visa.  Do you go in the same line together or do you go in the American line and he goes in the other passport holders line.  This is the first time we are flying to the States as a married couple, so I am curious as to you all do it.
Photobucket

Re: flying to US with your non-American DH

• DH and I have done both, now with a Green Card we go together. I would try together.
    DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/jhzsar.jpg[/IMG]
  • You can both go in the same line. They are lines for US citizens because the procedure is faster since they are returning home and are not likely to become illegal immigrants.
  • If you're married, even if he doesn't have a visa he can go through the citizen line with you. It means they don't give them the 3rd degree and are nicer while fingerprinting them.

• image treesapplaud:

If you're married, even if he doesn't have a visa he can go through the citizen line with you. It means they don't give them the 3rd degree and are nicer while fingerprinting them.

While I agree that you can go thru together in teh US citizen lane, I'm not sure I'd agree that they're any nicer - DH has been given the third degree many times. They seem especially interested in how much money he's got with him... But maybe I have a particularly suspicious looking DH? (He's a puppy really!)

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • We find someone and ask every single time. The times we don't and just assume they always tell us we've done it wrong and separate us and the times we don't and just go in separate lines they always tell us afterwards we should have just gone together.... It seems to vary dramatically by airport and by whoever is working (I edited to add that last bit because it occured to me we've actually been told different things in the same airport but on different trips!).
  • Mmm, when I came back to the US in July, they kinda gave me the 3rd degree. Even if you have a Green Card, you're not a citizen and you are still supicious to their eyes. I had to explain why, as a French person, I had to come back to France for a week.
  • We go in the US citizen line every time...JFK, Newark and Washington-Dulles have always encouraged us to go in the US citizen line. The only airport that made us split up was Miami.
  • BWI said 'it depends how busy we are'.
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • we usually just go thru together- in the EU citizen's lane when going to germany, and in the US we go in the US citizen's lane.
  • It's a nightmare for DH and I to fly into the states together!

Once he has his visa, we'll be going through the american customs line together.

Almost everytime he's gone into the country via amsterdam to DTW he's held in customs for 4 or 5 hours. Even though I talked to the security guard and told him he's my husband, and that we're flying back together in 3 weeks! I especially hate DTW for that.

When I flew home in september last year, I got the third degree as to how long I was gonna be there, and why I was visiting. I just said that it didn't matter why I was there, and that I could be in the states however long I wanted. I whipped out my birth certificate, and talked to the guys supervisor. The guy was fired on the spot for giving me a hard time. :D 

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2exm3rc.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/8/8fvpqds1i.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • We were told when entering the US, I could join him in the "foriegn" line and when entering the UK he could join me in the "non-EU" line.

We still each go in our separate lines and whomever gets through first gets the bags/scouts out a good spot to get the bags; it just makes more sense time wise.

?Transatlantic Blonde?
    it's called a kilt, he's scottish
  • The only time we flew to the States together was right before we were married.  We went in separate lines and I had to wait for him for a about 5-10 minutes.  This was in LAX.  Next time I plan on asking someone whether we go in one line or separate. 
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/t/tni0u2adc.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • image Melaina25:

We were told when entering the US, I could join him in the "foriegn" line and when entering the UK he could join me in the "non-EU" line.

We still each go in our separate lines and whomever gets through first gets the bags/scouts out a good spot to get the bags; it just makes more sense time wise.

This is also what I was told.
    mc: 5w3d 11/11/07 missed mc: 7w or 8w, d/c @11w 4/16/08 mc: 6wks 12/24/08 Pregnancy Ticker
  • we always go through the citizen line together. It's quicker and they don't mind. 
  • We've always gone together in the citizen line and never been told we shouldn't.
  • Before DH had a green card, we'd both go through the foreign line together.  I can't imagine splitting up, because what happens if DH gets carted away to the back room for "further inspection" and I have no idea what's going on?!  (Also, I don't trust him not to put his foot in his mouth.  Especially after the time the border agent asked if we were planning to return to the US soon, and DH said, "Well...  Norway's so nice!"  Indifferent  Yeah, we got "further inspected" after that comment!)

Oddly enough, there have been a few times when the foreign line was shorter than the citizens/green card line and we got redirected to those agents.  And they were definitely much nicer than the US agents!  Sometimes I think that the people in the US line are just looking for the most suspicious characters they can find, while the agents doing foreigners see so many more suspicious cases that they assume that if you're a citizen or green card holder, you must be okay.

• I've always wondered about this!

DH and I are flying to PHL or Newark this winter and then back to Gatwick and the non-EU lines are horrid!

• image hamilton.ja:
    We find someone and ask every single time. The times we don't and just assume they always tell us we've done it wrong and separate us and the times we don't and just go in separate lines they always tell us afterwards we should have just gone together.... It seems to vary dramatically by airport and by whoever is working (I edited to add that last bit because it occured to me we've actually been told different things in the same airport but on different trips!).

I have a had the same experience. Most of the time we both go in different lines unless the visitor line is very long and we have a short connection time.

• I think it simply depends on how busy they are

when it wasn't busy in Mpls they let dh go through the citizens line with me, when it was super busy with US citizens, they made him go through the non citizen line. Both have happened to us numerous times

you definitely are allowed to bring your non US dh through the citizen line with you though, it's only cranky line supervisors who won't let you - we rarely have an issue :)

• We didn't go together once, and I was scolded for it.  He had the customs form you have to fill out because it said you only need one per family, but since he was in a different line and I couldn't spot him, I had to fill one out also.  The lady was awful, made me get out of line and handed me one in German.  Right.