Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

? about the Renn fest

So I went once in college- it was a fraternity dated party so we just drank and threw knives and axes- no dressing up..

but about the dressing up- do some ppl just dress oddly? like not in the full blown corset deal?

because Saturday night we went out to eat and a bunch of ppl came in- some clearly in Renn fest gear, but then there were 2 ppl who were just dressed strangely.

Like the girl was wearing a strange skirt w/ an animal tail on the back, and she was showing some midriff- like she had shorter leather vest on? 

and 1 dude was wearing a kilt - like is that renn fest garb? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: ? about the Renn fest

• I don't know what is typical/traditional or not, but my brother went to Renn Fest this year in a kilt. ? With no boxers or anything, but he says there were no incidents. And he didn't wear a shirt. ?Now I love my brother, he's a cutie-patootie, but he's had one too many beers over the past thirty years to be walking around with his gut hanging out. ?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yep... sounds about right.. we saw a lot of those animal tails at the Renn Fest and also kilts.
  • I noticed the animal tails last year too. No clue.

• Yep, people have all manner of weird outfits.  Especially for theme weekends.  I don't know when Pirate Weekend is, but there is a guy who's a dead ringer for Captain Jack Sparrow.
  • hmm, interesting- I found it odd- like how many women in medieval times walked around w/ animal tails swinging from their butt, low rise skirts, tramp stamps showing, etc...
  • The tails are supposed to mean something like  "I am single, come get me" (to say it the nice way)

Most people dont know this which is why a lot of kids run around with it even though its inappropriate

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Song4themoon/39_zps3c530767-1_zps65ac5d58.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Song4themoon/24_zps1f2cabb9-1_zpsde31711d.jpg[/IMG]

My Receipe Blog
  • I've been active in the renn fest community for 7+ years and the tails don't mean anything to anyone I know.  Married women and women who aren't "hunting" for someone wear them all the time, not to mention the kids who have them.  If there are people who associate a meaning to them, it's a very small niche group.

Kilts are VERY common at renaissance festivals.  Pirate weekend was last weekend and while there are pirates each weekend, they come out in droves... and there's always a game to count how many Jack Sparrows you spot.  It was more fun with the POTC movies were more recent, though.

There's also a Celtic weekend, formerly known as Scottish weekend, which brings the kilts out in droves.  My husband owns three and doesn't bother waiting for Celtic weekend to break them out.

And yes, to the original question from Daisy, rennfest is an excuse to dress funny for a lot of people.  Personally I wear skirts, chemises and bodices, but I also know that my stomach and various body parts are NOT something to flash, so there's no way I'd bare my midriff, and I know the public-at-large thanks me for it.

There are a lot of leather outfits, made more popular by the fact that there are two huge vendors at the fest who sell those kinds of things.  There's also a lot of belly dancers roaming around, something I still don't understand but I'm so used to seeing it that it's no longer a blip on my radar.

The odd ones are the furries who have shown up this year.  Two men who dress up in mascot-type costumes.  They were there opening weekend in the heat and humidity and I still can't figure out how they didn't curl up and die.  That and the trampy Frederick's of Hollywood costumes that come out still boggle me.  

And finally, the last day of the fest is called "Day of Wrong" by a lot of the active rennies, and it's kinda when they go a little crazy with their garb, often trying for punny or pop culture related costumes.  One guy comes dressed as Tigger every year.  Some of the rennies scoff at it and hate the day, but it's widely known in the community and for a regular day-tripper, that's a REALLY odd day to show up at the fest.  

Here's a group shot of some of the people I hang out with - two kilts, including DH :)

And a friend of mine on Day of Wrong.  She's wearing normal garb - skirt, chemise, bodice, but she went a little goofy with the hair falls and blue false eyelashes. 

• Yeah I don't get it. People during the middle ages did not dress like fairies, or slutty pirate wenches, or half the things you see people dressed in at the festival. I love the festival and hope to go maybe next weekend. H's nephew is one of the "actors", so we like to go to see him.
  • Don't know if this is at all related, but a friend of mine from college is a self-proclaimed "Furry", meaning she and her partner(s) dress up as furry animals when they have sex.  There is also a group of "Furries" that she pals around with (and I imagine finds love amongst) and they make an annual group pilgrimage to Renn Fest in their furry gear.  They kind of get their sexual kicks off the whole costume thing, similar to a lot of the Medieval Age kink lovers, except they're all about releasing the animal within.  Could explain the tail...
  • image VileyGirL:
    Don't know if this is at all related, but a friend of mine from college is a self-proclaimed "Furry", meaning she and her partner(s) dress up as furry animals when they have sex.  There is also a group of "Furries" that she pals around with (and I imagine finds love amongst) and they make an annual group pilgrimage to Renn Fest in their furry gear.  They kind of get their sexual kicks off the whole costume thing, similar to a lot of the Medieval Age kink lovers, except they're all about releasing the animal within.  Could explain the tail...

Ummm, weird. I know it is not nice to judge, but that is just so odd.

• image FieryIrishAngel:

The odd ones are the furries who have shown up this year.  Two men who dress up in mascot-type costumes.  They were there opening weekend in the heat and humidity and I still can't figure out how they didn't curl up and die.    

You'll see a bunch more if you go this weekend - my friend and her band of fetishtistas are going in full furry garb.  

• image xmaryrickx:

image VileyGirL:
    Don't know if this is at all related, but a friend of mine from college is a self-proclaimed "Furry", meaning she and her partner(s) dress up as furry animals when they have sex.  There is also a group of "Furries" that she pals around with (and I imagine finds love amongst) and they make an annual group pilgrimage to Renn Fest in their furry gear.  They kind of get their sexual kicks off the whole costume thing, similar to a lot of the Medieval Age kink lovers, except they're all about releasing the animal within.  Could explain the tail...

Oh please, come sit next to me on my throne of judgment.  It freaks me the eff out.  

• image VileyGirL:
    image FieryIrishAngel:

The odd ones are the furries who have shown up this year.  Two men who dress up in mascot-type costumes.  They were there opening weekend in the heat and humidity and I still can't figure out how they didn't curl up and die.    

You'll see a bunch more if you go this weekend - my friend and her band of fetishtistas are going in full furry garb.  

I used to frequent a fetish club in DC... I think I've got a pretty good grasp ;)  I've also seen it at faire - the crossover between the kink/fetish realm and the rennies realm is very high.  Heck, one woman I'm acquainted with is into horse-play and came to the fest dressed in her full get up, being led around on a bridle by her husband.  She was politely asked to leave, given the revealing nature of her get-up (and rightfully so - I may frequent both worlds but I don't always think they should intersect, at least not so blatantly - there's a time and a place).

• image FieryIrishAngel:
    image VileyGirL:
    image FieryIrishAngel:

I used to frequent a fetish club in DC... I think I've got a pretty good grasp ;)  I've also seen it at faire - the crossover between the kink/fetish realm and the rennies realm is very high.  Heck, one woman I'm acquainted with is into horse-play and came to the fest dressed in her full get up, being led around on a bridle by her husband.  She was politely asked to leave, given the revealing nature of her get-up (and rightfully so - I may frequent both worlds but I don't always think they should intersect, at least not so blatantly - there's a time and a place).

I think I saw her last year. Was she there last year?

• image xmaryrickx:
    image FieryIrishAngel:

I think I saw her last year. Was she there last year?

Probably!  We didn't go much last year because Mia was still young, so I didn't actually see her.  She's also not the only one in the Balt-DC area with that particular kink, so it could well have been someone else.  I've seen photos from a local event that had a good two dozen women and men harnessed up like horses. 

• image FieryIrishAngel:
    image VileyGirL:
    image FieryIrishAngel:

For reals??  I know I must seem like such a pearl-clutcher, but I swear I'm not a total prude.  I'm actually kinda fascinated by the other confidence thing that goes along with full-blown fetish.. but holy crap, horse play?!?!  I can't help but clench... 

• image VileyGirL:

For reals??  I know I must seem like such a pearl-clutcher, but I swear I'm not a total prude.  I'm actually kinda fascinated by the other confidence thing that goes along with full-blown fetish.. but holy crap, horse play?!?!  I can't help but clench... 

Yeah, totally not for me, but I've seen it and know people who are into it.

• I now feel like I will be looking at everyone I see dressed funny at the renn faire like this Hmm and wondering if they are going to be sneaking into the woods for sexytime.
  • LOL at the 100 meanings of "horse play"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • The whole furries thing I don't understand- mainly because I wore the Testudo outfit once during college.  I was interning for the office of PR for U of M and they asked me to wear it to this convention @ the Bmore convention center.  That thing is super hot and it stinks so bad!

It was so smelly, I bought a stick-up and put it inside Testudo's head so I could breathe- and it's not like Testudo is one of those super acrobatic mascots- he just walks around- no jumping or crazy antics. 

I can't imagine wanting to hit anything that had been inside one of those outfits. 

• image VileyGirL:
    image xmaryrickx:

image VileyGirL:

Oh please, come sit next to me on my throne of judgment.  It freaks me the eff out.  

So amused right now.  I've never heard of anything like this.  Doesn't the outfit, um, get in the way???

lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • image daisyterp:

The whole furries thing I don't understand- mainly because I wore the Testudo outfit once during college.  I was interning for the office of PR for U of M and they asked me to wear it to this convention @ the Bmore convention center.  That thing is super hot and it stinks so bad!

It was so smelly, I bought a stick-up and put it inside Testudo's head so I could breathe- and it's not like Testudo is one of those super acrobatic mascots- he just walks around- no jumping or crazy antics. 

I can't imagine wanting to hit anything that had been inside one of those outfits. 

Lmao.  This just emphasizes my last question.

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • image Ragdolls:
    image VileyGirL:
    image xmaryrickx:

image VileyGirL:

So amused right now.  I've never heard of anything like this.  Doesn't the outfit, um, get in the way???

You'd think, but alas... there are holes. 

• image VileyGirL:
    image Ragdolls:
    image VileyGirL:
    image xmaryrickx:

image VileyGirL:

You'd think, but alas... there are holes. 

honestly.  honestly... 

this was on entourage once, I still don't understand the appeal- and oh, those outfits are $$$$.

• Elliot in the Morning on DC101 had some "furries" on his show several years ago.  It made for a funny commute into work.
  • CSI (Las Vegas) had a furries episode once.  It was amusing.  The adult babies episode was NOT amusing.  Furries are far less disturbing to me (and, to clarify, COMPLETELY unappealing) than adult babies. 

Some furries get, uh, excited from wearing the costumes but don't actually wear them for the act.  Others do.  

I'm sad I know so much about this.  

• image FieryIrishAngel:

Some furries get, uh, excited from wearing the costumes but don't actually wear them for the act.  Others do.   

Yep.  Furry friend says the outfits with holes make for some exciting public sex experiments, but usually in the bedroom the suits come off.  Hers has a detachable head though and sometimes she keeps that on - I can not even imagine.

Scroll my FB list, you'd never guess... she's so innocent looking and I really do love her ;) 

• I just go to the Renn fest to binge!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the food!!!!!!!!!!