November 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Wierd.. .and now annoying. I don't know what to do. (LONG)

A little back story.  We moved into our house in July 2008.  We live in a quiet suburban neighborhood where everyone talks to everyone.  In the first month of living here we noticed our neighbor (who shares our back fence) was throwing leaves over our fence.  Granted the leaves were from our tree but still.  DH asked her what she was doing and she gave some long convoluted answer that DH just blew off and then he began talking small talk with her to change the subject.  This is when we realized she was a little strange.  DH asked her how long she had been in the neighborhood and she had no idea. . . .

Fastfoward about 6 months.  We find a small bag of garbage in our backyard right near our back fence.  DH and I thought it was wierd but blew it off as a one time thing.  Then it began happening once a week.  It happened 3-4 more times before we decided to confront the lady.  We walked over to her house and asked her if she was having garbage thrown over her fence (we wanted to be non-accusatory).  There is a vacant house next to her so we said we thought it might be coming from that lot.  She ended up giving us this long explanation about how she DID throw garbage over our fence but it was only once and she never saw anyone else doing it.  The she just keeps rambling but never apologizes or anything (!).  From that encounter with her I'm pretty sure she is on some kind of strong medication or needs some, not sure which.

So the garbage stopped coming over our fence and everything was good for a month or so.

Fastforward to about early July/August.  We start getting "gifts" on our front porch.  Old sponges, a slipper, a hat, today a glove.  I don' tknow if it is for certain this lady but I don't know who else it could be.  The "gifts" are placed there in the middle of the night because I always check the porch before I go to bed and in the morning when I let the cats inside there is a present left for us.  

I have no idea what to do about this or if there is anything I can do.  

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Wierd.. .and now annoying. I don't know what to do. (LONG)

• Holy Weird!! I don't blame you for being a little freaked out and annoyed. I would be totally curious as to how those items are ending upon your porch. I would set up a hidden camera to see who's doing it. This way if it's the crazy lady again, you can confront her and tell her about your KNOW it's her becasue you have on tape leaving the items. Give her a final warning to stop or you'll get the police involved next time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • OMG that is freaking bizzare.  I don't know what to tell you, but at least it sounds like she is trying to make friends with you now??
  • I would place a camera hidin' out there or in a window that you can see the front door from. So you can stop who ever it is. Crazy lady or not it needs to stop.

Or you could stay up till it happens and confront the person face to face.

That is very strange. I hope you figure it out. Keep us posted!

• image lisa5ny:
    Holy Weird!! I don't blame you for being a little freaked out and annoyed. I would be totally curious as to how those items are ending upon your porch. I would set up a hidden camera to see who's doing it. This way if it's the crazy lady again, you can confront her and tell her about your KNOW it's her becasue you have on tape leaving the items. Give her a final warning to stop or you'll get the police involved next time.

That's fvcking weird!  I think I'd do what Lisa suggests...try to get to the bottom of what's going on.  That's SO BIZARRE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH has tried staying up to catch her (or whoever it is) in the act and nothing ever happens on these nights.  We are thinking about the camera thing, we're just trying to figure out where to place it so we can get the best view.
  • Dude. I would be really freaked out! Let us know how it goes!
  • I would do the camera thing, or set up a baby monitor out there hidden and when you hear the noise go running out there.

If it is her, do you belong to an HOA? If not I would honestly file a restraining order or something. For sure get the cops involved...

• Weird.  She sounds "off" but harmless. 

I wonder if she sleepwalks or something.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTC #1 13 cycles, CP 6/09, TTC #2 1 cycle
    CDing, EP'd for 13 months for #1, BFing for #2
    Pregnancy Hypertension - inductions at 39w, I grow big babies: DD was 9 pounds 1 ounce 22 inches, DS was 11 pounds even 22 inches - both vaginal deliveries
  • I would do the camera thing, or set up a baby monitor out there hidden and when you hear the noise go running out there.

If it is her, do you belong to an HOA? If not I would honestly file a restraining order or something. For sure get the cops involved...

The baby monitor thing is a good idea because then we would be able to catch her in the act!  I want to do this before getting the cops involved.

• I asked my H about this (now granted NY laws may be different then CA law on this).This is his response:

"If she is throwing the stuff on the lawn (only littering) it is only a violation, and has to be seen by the officer for him to issue a ticket.  A video may work- depends on the officer.  If you tell her to stay off your lawn, and then have video of her coming onto the property she can be arrested or a warrant issued for the trespass.  For that, at least in NY, you'd need her full name, date of birth, and address.  Approx age may suffice for DOB in some places.  The baby monitor may be ok, but remember if this woman is on meds she may get confrontational.  This could solve all your problems if you want it finished in a middle of the night, drama on the front lawn, neighbor in cuffs resolution."

• Wow-that would freak me out! I was surprised when I found out our neighbors put a bag of trash by our trashcan-but then found out DH said it was ok... (we only get one trashcan to fill and we always fill it-they normally take theirs to work... etc)

Weird... hopefully, you can catch her and it'll be over!  That's just odd.

• That is just creepy and weird.  I agree about the camera thing.  People can be so strange. 
  • WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Creepy, creepy, creepy.  Get it off me.

Ok.

I would file a police report or two because the police generally wont pursue something non-violent until its been documented several times.  Sure its annoying, but do it.  Because if it escalates, you want to have established a history.  Take pictures!  Document happenings.  Start a blog :)  I would read it!

• Is it possible the previous occupants had a dog who is visiting you?  I admit it's really strange, but you don't know that it's the neighbor woman and you don't want to file police reports until you really have an idea of who it is.
  • image wendilea:
    Is it possible the previous occupants had a dog who is visiting you?  I admit it's really strange, but you don't know that it's the neighbor woman and you don't want to file police reports until you really have an idea of who it is.

no dog, the last owner was the lady who owned it originally, she didn't have a dog.

and i know it isn't our cats because we have had gifts brought to our porch even on nights when our cats are inside.

• image ariajean:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Creepy, creepy, creepy.  Get it off me.

Ok.

I would file a police report or two because the police generally wont pursue something non-violent until its been documented several times.  Sure its annoying, but do it.  Because if it escalates, you want to have established a history.  Take pictures!  Document happenings.  Start a blog :)  I would read it!

ooh, good idea!