International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Very superstitious, writings on the wall...

Are you superstitious?

I have discovered that I need to be more active in my superstitions. Yesterday I mentioned to Lane something about my child, and last night, for the first time in ages, that blew up in my face. I forgot to knock on wood!

So, what say you? What are your superstitions? 

Re: Very superstitious, writings on the wall...

• Why hello!  Fancy seeing you here :)

I am not superstitious, just paranoid. 

• Oh no! I can't believe it came true! haha

I like to think I'm not superstitious because I abhore ideas of worshipping non-logic, but I know that to some extent I am. I wear certain jewelry when I want luck, I give a certain number of kisses to DH before games, and I consider certain meals lucky before a big day.

Maybe it's just more a means of comfort?

• Hello there, Abby dear :) How're you? 

image Lane615:

Oh no! I can't believe it came true! haha

I like to think I'm not superstitious because I abhore ideas of worshipping non-logic, but I know that to some extent I am. I wear certain jewelry when I want luck, I give a certain number of kisses to DH before games, and I consider certain meals lucky before a big day.

Maybe it's just more a means of comfort?

I KNOW, right? At the second scream I was all, "I HAD to open my big gob, right?"

I'm the same as you -- I'd like not to be so illogical. It's OBVIOUSLY not why things go all wonky. However, you need something to blame and coincidence is just too convenient. 

• I do get superstitious but I'm not a big believer. However I do have little theories that have hardly anything to back them up but for example, family photos in christmas cards? I think it's the kiss of death to include a boyfriend/girlfriend in the photo...by next year they've broken up! This happened to three families I know in one year and it totally freaked me out when my mom suggested after six years together that she mention my boyfriend (now husband) in the christmas letter. I just felt like it would jinx things.
  • I don't know that I'm really superstitious but I definitely will knock (or touch) wood if it crosses my mind. 
  • I am more of a paranoid person, I think. My parents nicknamed me Worry Wart as a kid.
  • image Lane615:
    I like to think I'm not superstitious because I abhor ideas of worshipping non-logic, but I know that to some extent I am.

This.  I'm pretty good about thinking about things logically, but I think everyone has a certain point.  I think it was on Skeptics' Guide to the Universe when they were talking about how even the most logical person might get the heeby-jeebies about, say, wearing Charles Manson's sweater.  I mean, you KNOW that doesn't mean anything, but? do you want to put it on?  Really? lol

I still say things like, "wish me luck" even though I don't really believe in luck.  To some extent, it's just so much in our way of life, it's kind of unavoidable. 

• Oh Good Lord yes.  I knock on wood, sometimes substituting my head for wood.  I don't step on cracks, I don't walk under ladders.  I hold my breath passing graveyards.  I've broken 2 mirrors, so I have 14 years of bad luck.  I think I'm in year 5, so I've got a long way to go.

I don't even like to think things because I'll jinx them.  I usually jinx everything.  I should be committed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i have started being more superstitious since meeting DH and his crazy superstitious family. when i was pg and had some bleeding i went into  a church near my work and lit a candle every day.... that is definitely not how i was raised!
  • I would be occasionally superstitious. I avoid walking under ladders and breaking mirrors but have no problem with the number 13 or black cats and don't really knock on wood.
  • I think I'm more of a worrier than anything else. I'm a serious worry wort and it drives my DH and my family crazy.
  • I'm in between I think. My mom is uber superstitious. I pick and choose. Knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder if I spill some, yes. But I am also trying to adopt a black cat, and I am not going to be the least bit worried if he crosses my path. And i don't walk under ladders because I don't want to get a paint can dropped on my head, not because of the bad luck. Not sure why some of them matter to me and not others *shrug*

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Nelia has read 39 books toward her goal of 100 books.
    hide
  • My first instinct was to say that I am, but honestly I can't think of a single thing that I do that is "superstitious" or that I would feel worried or vulnerable if I didn't do (i.e. sometimes I throw salt over my shoulder, but if I spilled salt and didn't throw it over my shoulder I don't feel like I messed up.)