Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

general question- i'm ready for flames

So I have noticed a genreal trend and am curious. (also playing devil's advocate...)

So when someone does something wrong, and then serves jail time (or probation/community service/whatever court ordered sentence- regardless if we agree with that sentence or not) at what point should we forgive them? or at least give someone a second chance?

technically the point of these sentences is for rehabilitation as well as punishment, so assuming said person has "paid their debt" to society, how long should we hold a grudge (so to speak) for? who gets to decide when is enough?

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
I changed my name

Re: general question- i'm ready for flames

• It depends on the crime. 

IMO, some things can't be rehabbed, and some things you can't "pay back your debt". 

ETA: The book answer for "who gets to say when enough is enough" is a judge, but it will vary person to person.  A victim or the victim's family might be far less likely to ever forgive, whereas the criminal's family will be quicker to trust them again.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image MrsOjoButtons:

It depends on the crime. 

IMO, some things can't be rehabbed, and some things you can't "pay back your debt". 

just to be difficult- what examples?

ETA: not that I dont agree with you, I guess I am just feisty today

I changed my name
  • To some extent, I'm pretty Nietzschean on this subject. A crime that warrants time in prison is a crime I highly doubt I'd forgive.

ETA: I'm talking about in my personal life, clearly. I am very picky about the people in my life, and I wish people who served their time and were rehabilitated the best of luck, I'm not going to be smoochieface with them, nor will I be their bestie.

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • My house was robbed, 5 guys, guns.  Those little fucckers can send me restitution checks (and one of them does, every month), but they can't repay me for how unsafe I feel in my own home.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Rape, molestation, incest, to name the big ones that I don't feel warrant forgiveness.

Murder depends on the situation.  If an abused person murders their abuser, I'd forgive them. 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image MrsOjoButtons:

My house was robbed, 5 guys, guns.  Those little fucckers can send me restitution checks (and one of them does, every month), but they can't repay me for how unsafe I feel in my own home.

valid point about feeling safe- also sorry you had to go through that!

I changed my name
  • sigh, y'all I really wanted a debate. I'm off to find some topic more flame worthy.
    I changed my name
  • LOL.  I think it's quitting time / dinner time for most of the Nesties, so maybe we should try again in an hour or two.

Twin boys due 7/25/12