Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Catholic godparents Q

If your child is baptised in the catholic church do the god parents have to be catholic?

I always thought that they would - but we've been talking about who we might use (and there are slim pickings of males we know who are actually catholic who we would want), so were thinking about choosing someone else and wondering if that's allowed.

DH's cousins are catholic and used another family member who I know is not (although i believe they are still christian). 

Is there a policy on this? I wonder if it's set by the parish...

Re: Catholic godparents Q

• it probably depends on your parish - but I thought that I heard that as long as one of the 2 is Catholic, the other can just be Christian.
  • I did some googling and it seems that as long as one is Catholic and confirmed and promises to uphold the baptismal vows, the other does not have to be but wouldn't technically be considered a godparent but would be more of a witness to the baptism.
  • At Joe's parents church both have to be Catholic.
  • We just had Lexi's baptism last weekend and we were told at our pre-baptism class that one godparent must be Catholic and the other does not have to be.  The second person is really considered  just a "sponsor" so it does not matter if they are Catholic or not.  I believe that this is the same for all catholic churches( we checked with 5 of them in our city).
  • image goldenprincess:
    We just had Lexi's baptism last weekend and we were told at our pre-baptism class that one godparent must be Catholic and the other does not have to be.  The second person is really considered  just a "sponsor" so it does not matter if they are Catholic or not.  I believe that this is the same for all catholic churches( we checked with 5 of them in our city).

Good to know!

Thanks ladies. All of the godmother's we'd think of using are catholic, so we'd definitely meet the one godparent must be catholic rule. I'll obviously have to confirm this with our parish when we look in to it further, but its good to know!

• yeah, I believe the rule is to have at least one Catholic godparent but it depends on the parish!
  • exactly what betty said.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • I've been a godmother twice and I know that at least one godparent has to be Catholic.  Also, not both godparents have to be of the same gender.  You can have 2 women or 2 men.  HTH!