International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

art in your home

How do you choose the art in your home? What kind of wall decor do you have? Got your eye on anything new?

Re: art in your home

• I would say 95% of what hangs on our walls are photos I've taken, either from holidays or of Milo.

Milo has something from Etsy above his dresser and then 3 framed pages from a book in his reading corner that I pulled out of a damaged library book (that I bought!)

We have that etsy vinyl saying above our bed and a few other etsy prints scattered around.

I guess I choose items I find beautiful.

I have my eye on those wooden bits you love and I am desperate for a vintage school world map to hang above our tv.  Something like this:

http://www.shelterrific.com/2008/10/28/my-ebay-find-vintage-world-map/

• At the moment, our Wall decor is largely photographs we've taken on holiday, or family photos. Before moving up here (and into our last flat where we were not allowed to put anything on the walls) I had lots of art posters and I like big pieces on walls. We made an effort when we bought our house, to find something we liked that was affordable. Unfortunately, our budget was Ikea. Still, it's not too bad. The other big thing we want up is 1 (maybe 2) decorative applique quilts my mom has made. But those take more time, finding the fixtures.  (Plus one seems to have gone missing...)
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • I don't have a home, but we do have art that we'll hang when we have one (and that we had hanging in Bakersfield).

I have a weird obsession with not having any art that doesn't 'mean' something. Our biggest pieces were gifts, some paintings, art photos and one large print that are from local artists from our hometowns. I have lots of pictures, one GIANT piece that is a fram with many mattes with photos from our first two years in Europe. Two large photos that I took of the dogs, family photos, etc. A few pieces from Etsy that I had custom made, and a few vintage postcards we've found framed.

• We decided that we will only by original works, nothing mass produced. So it is very hit or miss when buying art. When it is right, we know it, and it is ours. We don't buy anything to complete a look- which is really what we should do if we don't want our home looking like a jumble sale. ha ha ha.

Wall decor? Every last wall in our house in every room is white-white. The only other thing on it is artwork. We most likely will keep it "art gallery" white because we like what is on it to speak for itself. We are looking for a sound solution for our living room that looks awesome and not like someone glued packaging material to the wall, though, but other that that it's either a painting or nothing.

Eye on new? If we had the funds we would buy at least two from Jerome Bech's . I have been coveting this one for the past year (which looks utter crap in this picture. he needs to get a decent photographer!)

• We have very little on our walls but we have more to hang - a lot of it we still need to frame which is why it isn't hung yet. We do have one print in Bruce's room - a framed Rothko we ordered at the exhibit in London we tok him to. I love Rothko prints and it is probably my one exception to being ok with buying mass produced prints. I will obviously never have an original so I have to give in there. Oh and he has a little name thing in his room - nothing fancy. We have two (of three) photographs that my SIL gave us for our wedding of places around DH's hometown. We have a drawing of Bruce above our bed that my MIL had done for us as his Baptism gift. We have two little prints in the hallway that my MIL gave DH - some artist (I forget who) that they both like. I find they pretty fug but have given in on this since they seem to mean quite a lot to him. Someday I'm going to get them reframed and hopefully that will help me like them more.

• Our stuff is mainly stuff from abroad.  We have art from South Africa, and I love thing oriental, so we have pieces from China.  I did buy a beautiful painting in China, brought it back here and had it framed.  I loved that painting.  Then I got married and DH hated it.  Didn't want it on any of the walls.  Then a friend came over, saw it leaning against the wall and complimented it.  Which I then said she could have it, because that painting deserved to be appreciated.  So I see it whenever I visit my friend.
    Photobucket
  • We left most of our art back in storage in NY, but that was mostly random stuff we had collected over the years.  We're trying now to build up our art, similar to pp, focuings on large pieces and originals.  Most of what we do have is from our travels around the world. The big piece I love for our wall is a beautiful kimono from when I lived in Japan.  I was so sad when we couldn't hang it in our current flat cause we can't drill holes in the wall.  Don't have our eye on anything, we just buy when something strikes us - although we will probably have one of our wedding pics framed and put up.
  • We're still trying to find art/photos for our home...most walls are bare.  I'd rather take my time and find something I love (or produce something I love) than rush it.  I'm always looking...
  • Last time I went home I brought back a watercolor of tulips my dad bought me for Chirstmas a few years back, I love tulips.  It is literaly the only thing on any of our walls.  

We are always looking as well, esp now that I am working again. 

Pre English Reception Pictures at H's High School
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio
  • We have lots of different stuff. We have several original pieces, one in our kitchen, one above our fireplace, some small ones in our kitchen, one ina bathroom, all by local artists. I have 2 pieces hanging that my great-aunt, who was an artist, painted.

We really wanted some art from the UK, so we searched a long time before we left. We have 2 b/w photographs of Wimbledon in our bedroom, framed. We have a painting from Whitley Bay of the lighthouse, where dh is from, in our entryway. We have a print we bought in the UK framed in our family room. And I have this in blue, the London one. We also have a wall with framed b/w photos we had done with Finn upstairs, and a wall in our basement with framed b/w photos from all our trips. On 1 wall in the basement we have tiles we have collected on all our trips as well.

And we have some vintage Whitley Bay posters framed in our basement hallway as well.

And lots of photos elsewhere! We are a photo house.

DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/jhzsar.jpg[/IMG]
  • I'm with you girls on having things that mean something. I have some of my photography hanging and I've got a piece of metalwork that I love hanging in our bedroom. I am looking for something for our living room and something above our bed. I am currently lusting over an antique looking distressed wooden sign with a meaningful quote on it for our bed but I can't bring myself to buy it from the store when I think I could find an artist to make it. I'm struggling though.

I wish I had more time/space to do DIY. 

• Before I lived with DH, the artwork in my home were photographs of family, friends, and trees (I love trees.)  Now that I live with DH in an apartment his parents bought in 1995, the artwork here has been here since 1995 and is from a collection I like to call 'Cast offs from the old house' aka things my MIL was going to throw out but instead said 'Eureka, we can put this in the flat in Dublin.'

The current artwork here is various and entertaining.  When you walk in there is an oil painting of a storm on one wall and a wall hanging made of carpet (I don't know how else to describe it) that is of a Japanese sunset with the elegant color scheme of brown, yellow, and orange.  I stuck a miniature US flag in there to give it another dimension.  When you walk into the living room your eyes are in for a treat.  There is a Celtics foam finger that has been stuck on a candle holding on the wall (as though this were Ireland in 1880) and as you turn into the room, your eyes will light up at the sight of the following:
    1) A drawing of two Victorian era women talking to what appears to be a Mexican priest
    2) A drawing of two other Victorian women discussing things on their fainting couches while a small child looks on
    3) A water color painting of Japanese flowers
    And my personal favorite
    4) A Geisha

Epic, timeless, beautiful, and guaranteed to up your culture quotient whenever your eyes are open.  Such splendor, I don't know how I got so lucky to live in the apartment that time forgot.

Oh and if anyone wants one of these magnificent pieces, they are available for sale for a small price.  Meaning I will pay you to buy them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BizarroLiz:

Before I lived with DH, the artwork in my home were photographs of family, friends, and trees (I love trees.)  Now that I live with DH in an apartment his parents bought in 1995, the artwork here has been here since 1995 and is from a collection I like to call 'Cast offs from the old house' aka things my MIL was going to throw out but instead said 'Eureka, we can put this in the flat in Dublin.'

The current artwork here is various and entertaining.  When you walk in there is an oil painting of a storm on one wall and a wall hanging made of carpet (I don't know how else to describe it) that is of a Japanese sunset with the elegant color scheme of brown, yellow, and orange.  I stuck a miniature US flag in there to give it another dimension.  When you walk into the living room your eyes are in for a treat.  There is a Celtics foam finger that has been stuck on a candle holding on the wall (as though this were Ireland in 1880) and as you turn into the room, your eyes will light up at the sight of the following:
    1) A drawing of two Victorian era women talking to what appears to be a Mexican priest
    2) A drawing of two other Victorian women discussing things on their fainting couches while a small child looks on
    3) A water color painting of Japanese flowers
    And my personal favorite
    4) A Geisha

Epic, timeless, beautiful, and guaranteed to up your culture quotient whenever your eyes are open.  Such splendor, I don't know how I got so lucky to live in the apartment that time forgot.

Oh and if anyone wants one of these magnificent pieces, they are available for sale for a small price.  Meaning I will pay you to buy them.

The Victorian women talking to the Mexican priest sounds fascinating :) You need to post some pics!

• We keep thinking of collecting nice (professional) photos of places we've been, as we don't have DSL cameras to take really nice photos (at least once you enlarge them beyond 6x8). I figure I have a running list - there's no rush at hte mo as our house is so small, the smaller photos DH and I have taken work just fine - and will intersperse with the big, nice ones really well. But my dream is to have a wall, maybe our hallway? not sure really, that is like an enormous memory album.

I wish we had a bigger house so I could put more things up without being cluttered.

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Andrea, I will take pictures, but be forewarned:  pictures will not do them justice.  So feel free to come over anytime (you're always welcome here!) to witness the glory with your own eyes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BizarroLiz:
    Andrea, I will take pictures, but be forewarned:  pictures will not do them justice.  So feel free to come over anytime (you're always welcome here!) to witness the glory with your own eyes. 

I was actually trying to convince dh to visit Dublin next week while we are in the UK, but sadly flights from Newcastle are limited, so we are going to the Lake District instead. I will be sure to let him know the great artwork we are missing out on :)

• I've framed a few sketches from art school and bought some stuff just to fill the spaces when we moved in and a few of my paintings around the place. I did get this print from DH which I LOVE

I have my eye on this as when I saw it last Friday I just fell in love with the amazing power of it in person. It's just amazing.

From now on I'm buying original work or limited edition prints and keeping my walls for very special and interesting works.

• Besides family photos, I just pick art that reflects my various interests and tastes. I have some Japanese prints because I really love Japanese art from a variety of centuries. I have several lovely sailing photos and posters that I framed and put up. My favorite sailing photo is taken from the bow of the boat looking back, waves and water flying everywhere and droplets on the lense, distorting the action a little bit. And a blurry figure in yellow foul weather gear messing around with the rigging. Really dynamic and unusual. Love it. Got if from Allposters.com of all places :)

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Nelia has read 39 books toward her goal of 100 books.
    hide
  • We have a variety of things.  It's hard because we're not allowed to put holes in the walls, so we are using those Command strips.  We have some wedding photos, a huge one of the horse that won the Melbourne Cup three years in a row, and a smaller one of DHs horse that one a race back in 1989 (he loves horse racing).  There is also a painting of a teddy bear and a bulldog wearing the Western Bulldog colors.  It's DHs favorite footy team.  We were originally going to put it in the babies room when we have one since it is babyish, but he wanted to put it up now.    Finally we have 3 pins that we got on our honeymoon to Niagara Falls.  We got them at Hard Rock and they are the honeymoon pins.  One we got autographed by the lady who designed it.  She gave us the idea of framing them.  DH had an old frame with slots for 3 - 4x6s so we bought some fabric to cover the back and put some cardboard in the slots to push the pins in.  This one is my favorite because we were able to put it together ourselves.  We also have 4 more that are currently being framed.  Two of them are small paintings that depict a long distance relationship, which we had for 3 years.  The other two are photographs from the Great Ocean Road.  We didn't take them ourselves, but we did go on the GOR the first time we ever met in person.
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/t/tni0u2adc.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • We mostly have art collected from our travels, we try to buy off locals and make sure that the money goes straight back to them, so we have alot of art from South America, Europe and Africa, I love the way it always makes me smile when I look at a painting and remember where we were when we bought it.
    Jakarta, Indonesia. www.livelaughpoop.blogspot.com image Pregnancy Ticker
  • we have a lot of empty walls here since we're renting. we tried to use the nails left in the walls so our dining room has two paintings hanging and then I did put a lot of holes above the fireplace for a mirror and plates. I love walls of photos, but I just have been too lazy to do it!
  • How we choose what to hang depends mostly on the space.  How we choose it when we buy it is purely on what we like.  Not really colors or anything.  This means we have a lot of pieces that aren't up at any given time, because we don't have a place for them.

What kind of wall decor do we have?  We have a large oil painting of a Chinese water town, a few scrolls with caligraphy and water colors, two framed photo-realistic embroidery pieces of Chinese vases (can you tell where we bought most of our art?), a pair of silk-screen pieces with blocky colored landscapes, a set of five Vietnamese silk paintings, and a few prints of larger pieces that we liked but couldn't afford (mostly of hutongs).

Here is the oil painting:

And the two silk-screens (ours are in much wider black frames with gold trim):
    image image

As for anything new...  Nothing in particular, but we always kind of keep an eye out.  I think DH would really like a Howard Behrens.  And I really like some of the works by my former high school English teacher does, but a lot of them are a very large scale that wouldn't work so well in our small flat!

• In the kitchen, we have some drawings of animals.  I drew them myself because I never found anything I liked.

In the living room, we have our diplomas, and some coffee art that I bought in the States. The artists were local at the time, and had an exhibition at my neighborhood cafe.

In the fun room, once again I never found anything I liked, so I made them myself.  I used glyphs from this font to make some simple black and white arrangements and framed them. 

In the foyer, we have some IKEA stuff.  It was one of those sheets with two big and three small co-ordinating pieces that we framed and hung.

And there's no art in the bathroom, but now that I'm thinking about it, I might change that.  I didn't decorate it before because I knew we needed to paint it, but now it's painted, so?.