Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Give me your best toy/activity for a 10 year old

My step son's birthday is this month and he isn't giving any ideas (he does not live with us). What are the hot toys for this age group--under $100?

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Give me your best toy/activity for a 10 year old

• It really depends on the kid. My fourth graders all had different interest. Some were into sports, Yu-gi-gon (I think thats how you spell it), outdoor activities, cooking, reading ect.

I would ask what he likes to do. 

• the problem with this poor little boy is that he does not like to do much. He has asked for a pig (live) :no farms here and he lives in an apartment and he also is asking for $300 remote control cars. he does not read well so books are out of the question. he just runs around outside with no specific games other than what he and his friends make up. Any past present wehave gotten him, he plays with once and does not touch again. See my dilemma? He did ask for something Lego- but my husband can't remember what it was.
  • Gift card to Toys R Us?
  • image Butterflygirl10:
    the problem with this poor little boy is that he does not like to do much. He has asked for a pig (live) :no farms here and he lives in an apartment and he also is asking for $300 remote control cars. he does not read well so books are out of the question. he just runs around outside with no specific games other than what he and his friends make up. Any past present wehave gotten him, he plays with once and does not touch again. See my dilemma? He did ask for something Lego- but my husband can't remember what it was.

I love the fact that he and his friends make up games :-) 

From your post, I would suggest not giving him "things" but doing something with him.  You could even take some pictures and frame them for him to put in his bedroom Perhaps he gets to ask a friend or two??  Maybe going to a place such as: Chuck-E-Cheese, bowling, movies, horseback riding, rollerskating, going to a science museum, professional sports game. 

GL!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What are his interests?

Last I heard, young fellas still love electronic gear -- why not get him one of those mini-sound systems for his room?:)

• So he likes to play outside and make up games, why not something he can play with, ie basketball, skateboard, those scooters I see every kid with, a super cool sling shot.  IF he is a responsible good kid I would get him a BB gun, my brother had one that shot darts, bbs and something else and he loved that thing.  UM that guitar hero game seems popular but I dont know how much it is.  A digital camera? Does he have a computer?  a nintendo DS?  its like a gameboy from the old days.  Our mall has a lego store, maybe you could get him a gift card to the lego store?
  • Well developing tens are trending away from toys. And I don't think putting a weapon in his hands if you aren't the cusdodial parents is a good idea at any age.

I'd go with the experincial gift- a professional or college game, a full day at Hershey (with a friend), go karts at Happy Tymes in Doylestown or even the Doylestown Rock Gym would be options relatively near to you. I would suggest bringing a friend along for him and making it really special.

As for the reading, what is being done to remediate that? Is he getting services at school. A kid who struggles to read needs support in this area as well as regualr trips to the bookstore or library. Books should be gifts, but they should be given.

• I like the idea of outside stuff. My students really liked different types of balls (footballs, basketball, kickballs). Also some other ideas are walkie-talkies, rockets, and fishing gear.

I also like the idea of giving him  trip some place.

• What about an iPod nano (about $50) and a gift card to i-tunes so that he can download music? Was the lego thing a bionacle? I teach 4th grade, and my boys are obsessed with those.  For a birthday when I was little, my aunt and uncle (who had no kids and had no idea what to get for me) took me to the toy store to pick out my own gift... I loved the attention and the freedom to pick (I got pound puppies... and don't remember a single other gift from them, so it shows you how special it was to me...)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pogo sticks; stilts; a unicycle; a tent and sleeping bag; archery lessons, fencing lessons; something cool and unique and interesting to DO, not watch or listen to.
    SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*