Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

mommies - ? re breast pumps

So a co worker just let me know that she is willing to give me her Medela single breast pump that comes with the adapter (or bateries) for free. I'm thinking I should be jumping on this.

Just looking for some feedback. I know I'll have to replace some parts right? But is the single good enough? My "plan" is to bf as much as possible, but to pump so H can feed when I'm sleeping and he's home from work.

TIA

Re: mommies - ? re breast pumps

• I never could have gotten by with a single.  Partially depends on your milk production.  My milk wasn't coming in like it should have, so for the first week after she was born, I had to pump for 15 minutes per side after 6 of her 8 feedings.  So, with a single, that is 30 minutes of pumping.  Plus an hour to feed her.  Then you have to put away the pump stuff, change a diaper...and guess what, time for her to eat again.

Later on it isn't as important to have a double, but for the first few months, a double was critical for me.

• I have the medela single pump. It has worked well for me, as I alternate breasts per feeding so I only needed to pump one breast when I needed to.

You don't need to replace any parts with the single. They're all "sterilizable" (if that's a word) with the microwave sterilization bags (i have an extra bag if you want one - my mom bought me a pack of 5).

• I had the Medela Swing which worked fine for me..but then I got lazy and didn't feel like pumping as it was such a chore on top of feeding all the time. I do like having it though to have the option of pumping some milk to feed William if I'm out etc. Although he never took to a bottle, so I think if you keep feeding a bottle every so often they'll get used to it. that was my mistake was that I didn't keep up with bottle feeding and then he just never wanted it afterwards.

And yes I agree with Nat that you can just sterilize everything with the bags,,which are awesome!

• I have the Medela Swing as well and it's working really well for me so far.  everything can be sterilized and I like that it fits onto any standard sized bottle.  I like that it can be used with batteries as well - easy to pump in the car that way.

If someone had offered me one for free I would have jumped at it.

• My friend gave me one for free too!  Like Nat I feed on one side each feeding so I only need to pump the other side (and I only do that twice a day because I already overproduce milk) so the single works perfectly for me.
  • Like I said, it totally depends on your supply - if you have tons, the single will be enough, because you can feed on one side and pump on the other.  After the first month or 6 weeks, that is what I did.  I occasionally would still pump both sides when DD got a bottle or whatever.  In the early days though, the double was critical.

I would take the free one - and after the baby is born, you can always go out and buy a double if you need one.  That way, you have a free pump if that is all you need.

• I couldn't do with a single...I'm using the double to stimulate milk production and at this stage, I'm supposed to do it as many as 4-6 times a day. A single one would be way too annoying... As it's free though, I don't see why you shouldn't take it. If you need a double later on, you can rent or buy one.