Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Question: Sleep Study

Have you ever had one done?  I can't imagine having electrodes attached to my face and head and falling asleep.  I have been an insomniac for a while and I take Melatonin sometimes but it is not working so great so I went to see my doctor today and he suggested that I make an appointment. 

Thanks!

Re: Question: Sleep Study

• I had one done, I didn't sleep much since I was in a strange place and I had those electrodes on. You can try it, for me it is mostly anxiety that makes me unable to sleep so they didn't find anything.
  • I've done one. I went for 3 nights in a row. I went in at 9pm and left at 7am. I followed my normal routine to go to bed and even got to watch tv when trying to fall asleep. Two nights with ambian at my normal Rx and one with out.I only got 3 hours of sleep the night with out and only 5 hours with Ambian which is more than I normally get. I'm the kind that wakes up in the middle of the night which is harder to treat.

It really helped and confirmed what DH and I suspected. I have sleep apena.  I tend to wake up a little bit through out the night some times I wake all the way up and sometimes it's just enough to get me out of REM sleep.

I can get a breathing machine to hook myself up to at night but I can't fall asleep with it on so for now I stick to the ambian. 

I've had insomnia for about 10 years and right now this is what works for me. I've tried everything. If you can, I suggest going but try and go for more than one night. 

• They will hook up several wires to your head and face and body, but they aren't super uncomfortable. Most places allow you to follow your normal routine like you do at home. Bring your favorite pillow, book, etc. It isn't the easiest to fall asleep right away, but if you don't know about something - just ask. Most of the techs will answer your questions and help you feel more comfortable.

Typically, you will have about 8-10 electrodes directly on your head to read your brain waves, ground electrodes on your forehead to keep everything in sync, 1 electrode by each eye on the temple area to monitor eye movement (helps determine sleep stages with the brain waves), 2-3 electrodes near your chin to monitor chin movement (helps determine sleep stages, teeth grinding, some snoring), a 2 lead ekg monitor patches on your chest to watch your heart rate and look for arrythmias, 2 emg leads (almost similar to ekg but they are patches on muscle areas on your legs) to monitor leg movement to check for restless leg syndrome or periodic limb movements (leg movement), oximeter probe on your finger to check your blood oxygen level.

They will watch your brain waves, monitor heart rate, monitor sleep stages/cycles to determine if you have sleep disruption and what the possible causes are. They will also watch your breathing. The most common sleep disorder is sleep apnea. Usually is caused by an obstruction in your airway (tonsils, fatty tissue in throat or just sometimes the way your tongue falls back into your throat). They will either administer that night or have you repeat the study a different night with a cpap machine. It uses room air with a mask over your nose and/or mouth, it basically acts as a shunt to open up your airway and get the air in so that you don't stop breathing in your sleep.

Please please please research sleep disorders - especially the differences between  insomnia and sleep apnea with cpap therapy. Ambien or any other sleep aid is not going to cure sleep apnea.

• I had it done, the only thing I didnt like was how hard it was to go to the bathroom with all the stuff on, was afriad it would fall off.  And getting that goo out of your hair sucked, but maybe they do it different now.

It was good to have done though.  It helped me a ton, till recently when my insomnia has come back...but I am sure I can fix it within a month or so.

• My dad had this done (they discovered that he had sleep apnea) and he didn't seem to think it was too bad or difficult to get to sleep. Then again, insomnia wasn't his problem.
  • image LViita:
    I had one done, I didn't sleep much since I was in a strange place and I had those electrodes on.

I had difficulty sleeping with all this stuff on, but in the end it was worth it.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now wear a mouth piece in order to sleep.  I didn't opt for the CPAP machine due to noise and being claustrophobic with stuff on my face.  Good luck!

• Thanks all for your input.  I think I will go ahead and make an appt. 

I just hope that our insurance pays for the majority of it.  Zip it!