International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Side trips from Rome?

Just found some great prices to Rome during the Christmas vaca.  I have two weeks off from school (I'm a teacher).  I was thinking of doing maybe a week in Rome and then some days around Rome, so we could still fly out of there..any suggestions??

Re: Side trips from Rome?

• I went to the Amalfi Coast last year and loved it, although it was summer.  The scenery is breath taking and the history.  We went to herculaneum which is a smaller version of Pompeii.  I really loved that.  We went to a different villiage a day and you can take a boat to Capri. 

I think Venice is likely to flood that time of year, so be aware of that. 

Photobucket
  • We just did the Amalfi coast this past July.

I'm thinking cities that are more close by than Venice.  I think we'll do Northern Italy, Venice, Florence, etc. another time. 

• Florence, Umbria, Perugia, or come down to Gaeta to see me!
    imageimage
  • I've heard good things about Pompeii and Sorento.
  • Is this your first time in Rome, just asking due to 1 week being a bit long. However, there are a few nearby little towns that are an hr. or two down the way. Tivoli http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/tivoli.html is a wonderful little town in the hills, you can take a bus there for a day.

Orvieto http://www.bellaumbria.net/Orvieto/photographic-gallery_eng.htm is also nice, it is approximately an hr. away north. It is a beautiful little town (reachable by a tram that goes up the hills) and it is a great day trip is well.

Finally, the Campania region is nice. While most probably wouldn't recommend Naples, I would. It has great food and offers quaint little areas such as Caserta (Palace) and Pompei.

HTH

Vacation