Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My new niece is at the hospital :(

I have never posted on this board but I am looking for some help.  I posted on the baby boards but have not gotten any responses.  My sister is at the hospital with my 3 week old niece.  My niece got sick 2 or 3 times yesterday so my sister called the pediatrician and the Doc suggested they take my niece to the hospital.  They kept her overnight last night and are keeping her tonight.  My G-ma just talked to my sister and told her that they are keeping her to do some kind of bacteria test??  G-ma said that they have to watch and see if bacteria grows if not then she can go home.  I am just curious what this is and if anyone has any ideas about this.  My G-ma is 81 so she didn't really understand everything my sis was saying I can't call my sis because she is trying to save her cell battery.  Any ideas on this would be appreciated.  I have talked to 3 other women now and not one has ever heard of a bacteria test.  I am really worried and just want to know if anyone has heard of this.  TIA
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away"

Re: My new niece is at the hospital :(

• Could the bacteria test be like a doctor doing a culture to check for strep throat?  Maybe it's just a slow growing bacteria and that's why they're keeping the baby?

• I hate to worry you, but anything with that small of a baby is a big worry.  The hospital is probably keeping her so that if anything changes, the doctors will already have a grip on the situation.  If I were you, and it was possible, bring your sister her phone charger and some hot food.  She's probably scared out of her mind.  I will pray for you all.

• A blood culture probably to check for any sort of infection in the baby's blood.  Usually little babies get many tests run when they are in the hospital.  A prelimary culture will give some results in 24 hours, but it needs to continue to grow for some additional time, just to be sure that everything is clear.  Do you know what symptoms she was having?  (high fevers, throwing up, etc.) 

• I do know she was throwing up but not sure about the fever.  When my mom called last night to tell me I know she said throwing up for sure.   I hate this I am trying not to worry but it is so hard with a baby so small.  My sister is breast feeding I don't know if that matters or not.  I want to talk to my sis or BIL but don't want their phones to die.  My mom said my sis does not want anyone to come to the hospital because they don't want to expose her to anyone else who may be sick or not. 
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away"
  • Is there a phone where your niece is at that parents have access to? You could call the hospital and ask that.

My other thought would be for you to run over to their house (if you have access) and grab their cell chargers for them. Or if you know what kind of phones they have, buy them an extra battery and car charger so that they can charge their batteries.

Or, you could drop dinner and a calling card off for them one night. You don't need to see the baby, but I'm sure they are hungry, especially if your sister is BFing the baby. 

I hope your niece starts feeling better.

• I don't know what is happening to your niece, but at least she is in a doctor's care.  ((HUGS)) and prayers to your family.
  • I probably think they are running every test they could because your niece is still so young. They usually do this just so they could be sure and also be assured of the safety of the child.

I suggest you be calm and not worried right now. Just keep a prayerful heart and mind. The doctor has not said anything still.

My prayers are with you and your family.

• Any fever or vomiting in a neonate is cause for concern -- because they are so tiny, they can become dehydrated very quickly.

The test sounds like it could be for bacterial meningitis.  It's a pretty standard test on an infant with a fever of nonspecific origin.  It sounds like the doctors are being very thorough and checking everything out to make sure your niece is okay!

My oldest was readmitted to the hospital when she was four days old because she was badly jaundiced, and it is scary and nervewracking to have a tiny baby in the hospital.  It helped us to have our moms handle all the phone calls to our siblings and friends and family to keep them posted.  If your mom is with your sister, you might call your mom and see what, if anything, you can do -- run to your sister's house for the cell chargers and fresh clothing?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • tbh33tbh33 member

It definitely sounds like they are doing some type of culture test.  I've never heard of it being called a bacteria test.  But the doctor may have been describing it to the family so that they better understood, and that was all your grandmother caught.  If it is a culture test, it will likely take a few days.  If it's not a blood culture, they will allow it to grow for about 3 days or so usually before calling it negative.  If it is a blood culture (they took blood in a syringe & put it in a bottle), then they'll allow it to grow 5 days usually before calling it negative.  I can't say this is how that hospital does it of course, but these are just general time lines.

Also, if the bacteria does grow, realize that the lab may have to isolate various organisms to identify what is infecting your niece.  So that adds at least 1-2 more days (depending on how fast it grows).  Then, biochemical tests or possibly some ID strips may be used to ID the organism.  If a rapid ID is used it could take as little as 4-6 hours but it could also take another day or 2.  This is from things I have seen in other hospitals, so again it may not take that long.  I just want you to realize that it can take that long.  However, your niece may not be in the hospital that long, especially if she reacts well to antibiotics.

• I called my mom last night she said she has not heard anything new.  My sisters phone is completely dead.  My mom said that my sister wants no phone calls and no one to come visit.  I asked if there was anything we could bring my mom said that my sister did not want anyone coming up there.   I am assuming my BIL is running back to the house to get stuff for her.  I sent him a text yesterday asking if they needed or wanted anything he said he would talk to my sister and let me know but I never got anything back from him.  I hate this.  I want to talk to my sister but if she doesn't want anyone to call what should I do????
  • image scherza:

The test sounds like it could be for bacterial meningitis.  It's a pretty standard test on an infant with a fever of nonspecific origin.  It sounds like the doctors are being very thorough and checking everything out to make sure your niece is okay!

I'm a little late but this is what I was thinking too. When one of my brothers was an infant, he was admitted for a high fever and they tested for bacterial meningitis just in case. He was given IV fluids to rehydrate him, and released after a day or so (I don't remember how long). It was scary, but he was okay in the end. Hope your niece pulls through just fine.