D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Home builder thoughts...

Has anyone built a house using Ryan Homes or K. Hovnanian? Please share your experiences and if you were able to get upgrades included in the price.  Did you use a realtor?  Thanks.

Re: Home builder thoughts...

• I didn't build with either, but while househunting last year, we almost built with Ryan up in Frederick.  I did some research online and what I found was astounding.  All the negative feedback, the problems current homeowners have, shoddy craftsmanship, cheap materials, unreasonable building timelines, etc.  I got scared we ultimately decided against Ryan.  I would advise you to do the same, before choosing any homebuilder.  

When we were looking, they were offering $25,000 worth of free upgrades if we used their lender.  That would have finished the basement, upgraded the kitchen and master bath, as well as a few other small things, so it was definitely a good deal. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Don't call me prego caffeine-thursday your BFF google having a baby
  • I did get scared after reading all of those reviews, but there are also as many positive reviews so I guess you just have to be very careful during the whole process. Did you like the Fredericksburg area?  We're heading there this weekend to check out the area. 
  • image cinderwhite:
    I did get scared after reading all of those reviews, but there are also as many positive reviews so I guess you just have to be very careful during the whole process. Did you like the Fredericksburg area?  We're heading there this weekend to check out the area. 

Frederick (was pp was talking about) is in Maryland.  

DH and I have looked into Fredericksburg a lot and really liked the Idlewild Subdivision off Rt.3.  I think it is exit 130.  Good luck house hunting.

• We built a Ryan Homes townhome and moved in November.  We could not be happier with everything.  The project manager actually is our next door neighbor.  I think it speaks a lot to live in the house you oversee.  We also went with their lender and the process was great, they were very helpful and patient with us as first time homebuyers.

I highly recommend Ryan Homes and NVR Mortgage.  

Good luck!