Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I realize how silly this sounds but...

...does anyone else besides me ever question whether or not you can trust your bc?

I'm getting married in 46 days and as the day approaches, the issue becomes an even bigger one for me. I'm on Ortho TC Lo and started back in April (had some medical issues that deterred my starting). My biggest worry is that I'm not "regulated enough" having only taken two months worth of bc. Perhaps that sounds stupid but these old wives' tales are killing me! Aside from that, I'm so freaked out about being that 1% who have BC babies that rarely a day goes by without thinking about it.

I'm just looking for some calming and encouraging words. ;)

Re: I realize how silly this sounds but...

• No, you are not the only one who worries about it. There is a post below called 'Pill Question' that addresses this question. There are many women who use a back up method with BCP to put their minds at ease, and many women who rely soley on BCP. It is really just up to you and what feel comfortable doing. If you are going to be worrying about getting pregnant, then I would recommend a back-up method in order to more fully enjoy your sex life. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
  • I've been on the pill for years with no problems.
  • I don't use a back up method. I trust that I take it properly it will do what it says it will do.
  • Spent 5 years with DH before we got married and was on the pill the entire time...we did not use a backup method at all and werent really worried about it.  Been married for 3 years and still no worries. 

If you take BC right, consistently, and as directed, you should be fine.  And from my understanding BC works pretty much right away. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The funny thing is that once you decide to have a baby and you go off of bcp and it takes FOREVER to get pregnant...you think "what the hell was I worried about all those years?

I am sure that you will be fine

• image shiyloh:

The funny thing is that once you decide to have a baby and you go off of bcp and it takes FOREVER to get pregnant...you think "what the hell was I worried about all those years?

That scares me.  I want a baby SO bad... one day.  haha.  Like in 2 years.

Here is my post on this topic with great answers :)

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/17833185.aspx 

TTC Babypants with low motility and low morphology since 6/2010.

Trials & Adventures in Baby Making

Stuck in counting limbo.

SAIF always welcome!!

Fortune from UnderwaterRhymes: A new outlook brightens your image and brings new friends.

imageimage

• I was on OTC Lo for a couple of years, and loved it. Never had a scare, was completely regular with my periods, and didn't worry.

If you're worried about sticking to taking it consistently every day, set an alarm for yourself (I have it programmed into my cell phone so I never miss it).

DH hates condoms, so we don't use them as a backup, and I am comfortable in my decision. It really is up to you and your comfort level.

And after 2 months, you should be fine...the hormones will generally keep you from ovulating after just 1 month (every pill recommends using a backup for the first month).

image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
  • I never used BCPs ?just the rubber and in all that time (10 plus years) never had an issue or scare

?We don't even us a rubber now, I enjoy our choice of control very much and I have no fears of ever having an procreation issue

• I've been on the pill for years for medical reasons and only needed it for BC when I got married (was a virgin).  That was the first time I stared at the pack and said, "Oh, God, please..."  I remember the morning of my wedding talking to my best friend, wondering if perhaps some woman out there took a whole week's worth of pills "just in case".... ;)  I've also never been so excited to get my period until now  Every month is a celebration.

Anyway, every doctor I talk to says that, when taken as directed, it is the most reliable method.  Really, medical science cannot get any better than 99%....

After a year, I don't think about it much anymore.  I am also less freaked out generally at the idea of an unplanned pregnancy, though (still not ready to plan!).

Congrats!  Hoep your day is wonderful!

• it usually takes a month (4-6ish weeks) for your cycle to regulate again so you should be in the clear that way....also, if you take your BC pills around the same time each day and dont miss a dose, you will be fine. the reason that 1% is there is because people are dumb and dont take it correctly.

idk about you but i am nowhere ready to have a baby (just got done nursing school and fiancee still has 3 yrs of law school to go) so we use condoms in addition and are VERY viligant about it.  

BC options are what is best for you and your partner.  if you can take your pill everyday and not miss a dose, then youre fine with that.  if it takes some getting used to to take a pill everyday, then i would use condoms or a diaphgram or something just to be on the safe side - unless you want a little one running around!!

Mrs. Emily Wolcott June 11, 2011 :)
  • I have never had a problem, just make sure to take it around the same time everyday and if you are really concern make him wear a condom or pull out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image shiyloh:

The funny thing is that once you decide to have a baby and you go off of bcp and it takes FOREVER to get pregnant...you think "what the hell was I worried about all those years?

Not for everyone. It took me a max of 2 months.

• image 2carbuffs:
    image shiyloh:

I hope when I go off, it'll be that easy!! Big Smile

TTC Babypants with low motility and low morphology since 6/2010.

Trials & Adventures in Baby Making

Stuck in counting limbo.

SAIF always welcome!!

Fortune from UnderwaterRhymes: A new outlook brightens your image and brings new friends.

imageimage

• image 2carbuffs:
    image shiyloh:

Yeah, my cousin got pregnant the month after she stopped taking the pill. It just depends on your body.

• When I finally got into the doc (they were booked forever) and finished taking other meds she wanted me on first, I ended up only taking my BC for 3 1/2 weeks before our wedding! My only issue was spotting, but never lack of protection.

There are people that end up pregnant with BCPs, condoms, IUDs and every other type of contraception, even while using multiple forms together! As long you have sex, babies are a possibility. If it is meant to happen, it will. I'm sure you have enough to worry about with your wedding coming up so soon, so try not to stress :-) Congrats on your wedding!

" Oh, how we danced on the night we were wed. We vowed our true love though a word wasn't said. The world was in bloom, there were stars in the skies, except for the few that were there in your eyes. The night seemed to fade into blossoming dawn. The sun shone anew but the dance lingered on. Could we but relive that sweet moment sublime. We'd find that our love is unaltered by time." ~Dubin BabyFetus Ticker imageimageimage
  • Same here! Only we started dating and having sex in June, but I didn't go one the pill til October, and we never used condoms, just pull-out. Then I went off the pill end of March, and I was almost immediately pregnant! And about the irregular period, I have that too (or did rather :-p) where one month I'd start at the beginning of the month, and then not have a period for 6 weeks! But once I got on the pill, it became so regluar, I knew what day of the week I'd start, and that I'd always start first thing in the morning. So no matter how irregular before you are on the pill, or even while you're on the pill, it doesn't really make much of a difference unless your doc says specifically for you that it does. On the other hand, my sister-in-law had her first two kids while on the pill, but she also didn't take it like she was supposed to. If you take it exactly like you're supposed to, you'll have nothing to worry about!
  • I don't think it's silly.  I grew up in a household where we talked about the consequences of BC absence, BC failure, etc a lot, so it's made me sort of paranoid.  (Two pregnancy scaresalong the way didn't help :D)

If it will help reassure you, use dual methods of BC.  I'm on the pill, DH uses a condom, every time.  By the time your wedding rolls around, as long as you're taking your pill consistently, around the same time each day, you should be fine to go it alone, but if a second method will ease your mind, go for it.

Good luck with the wedding!

When it's all said and done, what matters most is your relationships with other people; without good friends and family, what's the point?
    My Cooking Blog
    My Baby Blog
  • actually, this isn't always true.  I got pg the same month that I quit taking birthcontrol.
  • image mprsnowwhite:

I've been on the pill for years for medical reasons and only needed it for BC when I got married (was a virgin).  That was the first time I stared at the pack and said, "Oh, God, please..."  I remember the morning of my wedding talking to my best friend, wondering if perhaps some woman out there took a whole week's worth of pills "just in case".... ;)  I've also never been so excited to get my period until now  Every month is a celebration.

Anyway, every doctor I talk to says that, when taken as directed, it is the most reliable method.  Really, medical science cannot get any better than 99%....

After a year, I don't think about it much anymore.  I am also less freaked out generally at the idea of an unplanned pregnancy, though (still not ready to plan!).

Congrats!  Hoep your day is wonderful!

Sounds like we are/were in the same boat.  I was a virgin when I got married a few months ago and I had been on the pill for regulating my period for a few years. I am very good about taking it on time but I am really nervous about the pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) not working, even though i talked to my nurse practitioner and a friend who is a nurse and they said I don't have to worry.  We do use condoms for back up.  DH is really supportive but has said he would like to stop using them after a while. 

I understand what you mean about being in the 1%...me too.  You are not alone. I hope know that helps a little.  Whether you decide to use a backup or not, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!