Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My thoughts about the safety issue

I just want to get this out there and then I will let it go. Please let me or the nest know if there are people that are harrassing you/invading your privacy. You can always PM me or message me on FB if we are friends with any concerns and I will take them to the nest. They will remove people and ban users that are not following the rules of the board. I want you all to feel safe and happy here! I don't like to see people having to deal with crap like this.

thanks!

Robin
<><
Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85

Re: My thoughts about the safety issue

• Do you have any option to suggest features added to the board?  Frankly, considering how much people share on here (from personal issues to general life rants) I would think it'd be a smart idea for the nest/knot to at the very least restrict viewing the boards to those with log in names, and not just any passerby can view the boards.  I know they want to open it to everyone since it's a business, but still, it's not that big of an issue to require a log in before viewing certain areas of the site.  Many businesses do that.
  • I can always pass it on. The only issue is that it's very easy to just create a logon and then not post. No one would know that you are lurking on the boards. I don't know how they could really patrol with that.

Robin
    <><

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

• I read on one of the other boards that the Nest has started Tweeting subjects from the message board.  We are out there, whether we want to be or not....  I think once we press "post," our thoughts are now a part of the web. (It's scary when you google your screen name and see what comes up!)

Anyway, that was just a comment.  Robin, kudos to you for trying to make this a better place.  ;)

Potter the Wonder Doggie, and Todds_kid, Cooper :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Spirit of Power
    Eat, Drink, and be Keri
  • Obviously, based  on my post below, I'm fishing to find out what is going on around here.  Sadly, after all of last weeks drama and now getting that something totally bizzare is going on again/still, I'm feeling pretty glum about the board :(
  • image jason&robin:

I can always pass it on. The only issue is that it's very easy to just create a logon and then not post. No one would know that you are lurking on the boards. I don't know how they could really patrol with that.

True, but it kind of goes along with pre-approving log ins.  At least when a user signs up, the system (should) log their IP address and have a record of it should any need for it arise.  A very thin layer of protection is still better than nothing.

• image MRSNESK:
    Obviously, based  on my post below, I'm fishing to find out what is going on around here.  Sadly, after all of last weeks drama and now getting that something totally bizzare is going on again/still, I'm feeling pretty glum about the board :(

I think the issues this week and last are different.  This week is more about being safe on the interwebz.  We're all here and let's be as safe as we can type of thing.  Last week was....  I don't even know what to say abou that. 

• I have passed the suggestion on and will let you know when I get a response back. goodnight!
    Robin
    <><

• Also, it may be able to limit what can be found on a Google search. I belong to another message board that is for members only and yeah, anyone can create a login, but you can't just put someone's user name into a google search and have it show up (or other posts on the board)
  • image ELCJet:

I read on one of the other boards that the Nest has started Tweeting subjects from the message board.  We are out there, whether we want to be or not....  I think once we press "post," our thoughts are now a part of the web. (It's scary when you google your screen name and see what comes up!)

Anyway, that was just a comment.  Robin, kudos to you for trying to make this a better place.  ;)

Yeah, I've been doing a bunch of googling to see just what comes up with various combinations of info I've got on here. I'm not completely anonymous by any stretch, but it's comforting knowing that most of what comes up is toy info or badly spelled apartment listings. :)  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • d.fd.f member

I did some google searches of my username here and another common user name I have and they're generic enough that my posts aren't popping up but I doubt I'm in anyway completely anonymous.

I'm not extremely worried about it but I'd imagine there are a lot of lurkers.  I know I lurked for a while (probably 2-3 months) because I wasn't married yet and I didn't have the guts to post.

DS 09/08

i-QrTjQpv-L.jpg</p

• Interestingly, my user name doesn't show up with much, and several of them are various versions of my Nest profile...which is completely blank. 

• Googling my nest name pulls up random posts that reveal to the world my juicy secret - I play bridge.

Oh the humanity!  What if word leaks out!  I'll be a nerd forever.

[IMG]http://charliesweblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_9813-copy.jpg?w=452&h=800[/IMG]
  • image RoxBride:

Googling my nest name pulls up random posts that reveal to the world my juicy secret - I play bridge.

Oh the humanity!  What if word leaks out!  I'll be a nerd forever.

LOL