Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Inducing Q: ?

I was just wondering if you have a choice to be either induced or just schedule a c-section right off the bat?

I/me personally only heard bad/scary things from being induced.

My Godmother was induced and her uterus ruptured. The nurse ignored her when she said she was in a lot of pain ?well you ARE in labour hunny?. After about 3 min they heard the baby?s heartbeat crash. When they got to her the bed was soaked with blood and the baby was too long without oxygen. He died 4 days later. She also in all this mess ?died? they had to bring out the paddles. I know that things might have been different if the Dr.?s did their job but you can understand why it still scares me.

Now after knowing 3 separate girls who all had their babies from 3 months ago to 2 days ago ? they got induced and still went through 3 days of pain and labour to in the end need a c-section!

I don?t see what the point is then?

Can?t I ask that if I?m overdue to forget the induction and go straight to the c-section?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10766;94/st/20100202/n/Mia+Rose/dt/6/k/0005/age.png[/img]
[/url]

Re: Inducing Q: ?

• I have no clue about induction, but what an awful story about your godmother and her baby. What a horrible thing to have happen...
  • My sister and SIL were both induced 2 years ago and my sister delivered vaginally whereas my SIL had to have a c-section (high blood pressure issues). From the time my sister was induced to the time the baby was born was probably 18 hours. They let my SIL labour for about 12 hours before her heartrate and the babies became a concern and did a c-section.

I have a friend who laboured for 3 days and delivered vaginally (no induction).

Every scenario is so different.

You can labour without an induction and end up in a c-section.

You can labour without an induction and still have what happened to your godmother happen.

I do not think you can request a c-section if you are overdue instead of induction. But you could ask your OB I guess.

• First, I had a great induction, it only lasted 6 hours from the time that true labour started until J was ready to be delivered.  You will always hear of the bad and very rarely hear of the good so try to keep that in mind.

Second, there are far more risks associated with having a c-section than there are of having an induction, and the recovery is much more difficult. 

Third, it is so early to be stressing about something like this, go with the flow and enjoy being pregnant for now.  This is something that you and your doctor will need to discuss closer to the date, since it all depends on your body. 

Proud Mama to two sweet kiddos.
  • I don't think you'll find any Canadian OBGYN who will give you a c-section just because you'd rather that than be induced (unless you have had a previous c-section, then they give you a choice to do a repeat c-section or try a VBAC).  I have heard that you can have an elective c-section in some parts of the US though, probably because of the way their health care system works.

A c-section is major surgery...you do not want one unless you have to have one, trust me.  There are a lot of risks.  Infection, hemmoraging, not to mention the recovery since they do slice your abdominal muscles in half.  It takes a minute to roll over in bed, 30 seconds to stand up, you can't laugh without being in pain, you can't carry more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks, and you get one super sexy scar...

If you don't labour at all, your body may not "get the message" right away to start producing milk, etc. which can create some difficulties.

• I was induced, and gave birth vaginally.  Sure it took a while, but all went well, and I recovered quite quickly.  I actually left the hospital 2 hours after having given birth (I had a midwife).  Like Trish said....you often only hear the bad stories!
  • image Blondie22:

I don't think you'll find any Canadian OBGYN who will give you a c-section just because you'd rather that than be induced (unless you have had a previous c-section, then they give you a choice to do a repeat c-section or try a VBAC).  I have heard that you can have an elective c-section in some parts of the US though, probably because of the way their health care system works.

A c-section is major surgery...you do not want one unless you have to have one, trust me.  There are a lot of risks.  Infection, hemmoraging, not to mention the recovery since they do slice your abdominal muscles in half.  It takes a minute to roll over in bed, 30 seconds to stand up, you can't laugh without being in pain, you can't carry more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks, and you get one super sexy scar...

If you don't labour at all, your body may not "get the message" right away to start producing milk, etc. which can create some difficulties.

I have to agree with this 100%.

The only reason I was able to have a scheduled C/S this time around was b/c DD was breech and b/c DS had gone into fetal distress during labour with my first pg.

• That is horrible about your godmother.

You would need to talk to your OB - CDN doctors aren't as willing to do a c-section on request as American doctors.  Remember, a section is MAJOR surgery, and you are in a lot more pain once you get home.  You are also in the hospital longer.

Most inductions do NOT end in a c-section.  I'll be honest with you - I was induced with pitocin (not because I was overdue, but because my OB swept my membranes (without me asking her to), and my water started leaking but I wasn't going into labour) and it was not a pleasant experience.  It was a long, painful labour (almost 21 hours...and then I had some issues getting a doctor to actually be available to deliver her for another 6 hours).  I had tried to do it naturally, but after about 18 hours, I couldn't take anymore. 

I already know that if for my next one I have to be induced I will get the epidural right away.  I wouldn't opt for a section though unless I really needed one.  You heal much much quicker from a vaginal delivery.

• I understand exactly how you feel. I, too, have heard a ton of horror stories about being induced and I really didn't want to be. My son was 10 days overdue and I was scheduled for an induction a few days later and I was seriously considering not showing up for it. I really didn't want to be induced- partly because it always seems to go wrong, but partly because I firmly believe that just being overdue isn't reason enough to force things along. Yes, there are legitimate medical reasons why someone would need to go into labour, but imho too many doctors decide to induce strictly by looking at the calendar and I didn't agree with that. My son was 10 days overdue, like I said, and he was only 7 pounds. And they had been offering to induce me for the past three weeks! If I had agreed to be induced at 39 weeks like they suggested he would have been what, 5 pounds only?

Anyway, back on topic... I really wanted to schedule a c-section rather than be induced, it it came to that. My friend is an L+D nurse and she said that inductions go well only if the mother's body is near labour anyway. Some women are so close and a little boost is all they need (but, I figure, if you're that close anyway, why not just wait?). Women who aren't ready to go into labour are the ones who have the problems because their bodies fight against labour.

There are so many doctors who are pushing c-sections these days, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem requesting a c-section if it came to that. But give your body a chance to do it naturally- being overdue isn't a valid reason in and of itself to be induced. The average first-time pregnancy is 41 weeks, 1 day- so it would seem that the 40 week model is something the medical establishment forces on us, rather than the way nature intended it to go.

All that being said, there are a ton of horror stories out there about c-sections, too- and natural deliveries, if you get right down to it. People who have ideal inductions don't tend to talk about them as much so of course we only hear the bad.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was induced at 13 days overdue, and I'm happy with the way it all went (13 hrs from when the gel started working to having him). I had bad back labour, and recovery was really really bad, but thats probably bc he was so damn big (his head, let alone his weight). even with all of this, I'm happy I went naturally, and wouldn't want a c/s if I could help it... of course I didn't want the induction either, but at that point I was exhausted of being pregnant and huge. overall it was a great experience... so there is another positive induction story.
  • Well, I can understand why the thought freaks you out, but I'm sure the horror stories are by far in the minority. You probably just don't hear the stories about the many uneventful inductions. Mine went fine. It's not really how I hoped my labour would go, stuck in bed with an IV the entire time, but it was fine, the baby arrived safely, and I suffered no extra trauma as a result of the induction. I'm glad I was still able to deliver vaginally and would have been upset if they'd wanted to skip straight to a c-section.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • From what I have read, many inductions end up in c-sections because the patient's body wasn't really ready for the induction. I would continue to do more research (factual and anecdotal) so that you are able to properly advocate for what you think is best for your body and your baby.

Give yourself time too! No need to worry so much about something that is a long way off.

• I was induced with pitocin.  My water broke but I was not contracting, so they had to move things along.  Once they started the drip, it took 12 hours for DS to come.  All the drugs did cause my blood pressure to skyrocket for 3 weeks, but that is much better than having to recover from surgery in my opinion.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wanted to avoid a medical induction at all costs.  (Success!)  I also wanted to avoid a cesarian at all costs.  (Fail!)

The cesarian was no picnic. The recovery was awful at times.  I will do absolutely everything in my power to have a VBAC.  

Have you read _The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth_?  The author, Henci Goer, is definitely a 'less is more' kind of girl when it comes to birth.  But it's worth a read.  I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about the birth you want to try for. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (sGpn)

• image Blondie22:

This, exactly. Don't assume that jumping to a section is best. I had one, because DS was too big for me, and my pelvis was too tiny. They tried to induce me (somewhat, just with gel, but never with pitocin), but the baby couldn't fit into my pelvis and I never dialated, even a fingertip.  Like pp said, it was major major surgery, hard to stand up, hard to lie down (I slept on the couch for weeks because my bed was too high up!), hard to move around while holding the baby, I never labored so my milk took forever to come in and I didn't ever really produce a lot, etc.

Take some time to learn more about all the options so that you can make well informed choices when you need to. Every single L&D is different, and there are some decisions that you may have to make that you cannot possibly plan for! Just learn as much as you can so you can make informed choices. And like everyone has said, you always hear the horror stories, not the good ones, so keep that in mind too :)

• I think you've gotten some really good advice here, but I just wanted to add that, for some reason, people LOVE to tell pregnant ladies horror stories of their births, their sibling/cousin/aunt's birth...their friends dog's breeder's daughter's birth.  I don't know what it is, but, at least I have found, that people just loooooove to freak a pregnant lady out.  You have to learn to let it go in one ear and out the other or else you will be a mess.  Plus, you're so early in your pregnancy to be worrying about things like this.  Enjoy the fun of being pregnant and try not to worry about the rest.  :)
    Read my blog!
    Mom, why are you washing my feed in the sink?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends on your circumstances if they give you the option or not. Scarlett was too big for me and between the doctor and I we decided it was the safest course of action.??

My c-section wasn't a picnic I won't lie to you but if you do what the doctors tell you and walk a few times a day it does help speed the recovery. I was back in my own bed (which is high up) in a week and driving in three. I wasn't completely pain free but it was doable and in the same circumstances I would do it again.?

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/35mekjq.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/vkuma.jpg[/IMG]