Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Hi Ladies, I have a question.

My husband recently moved to AZ (from OH) for work. Because I am a teacher, under contract, we won't be joining him until June of 2010.

My daughter is having a rough time with it. We skype,  about once a week, but it's hard due to the time difference. Does anyone have any advice?

I realize he is not serving the country, but I thought you guys might have some tips.

Re: Hi Ladies, I have a question.

• Difficult how so? Like finding a time to skype while she's awake?

(Help Myrtle out ladies. She's sweet. Smile)

• Yep. He doesn't get home til 9 our time, which is 2 hours after her bedtime.

She has been very clingy, and when she has a melt down, she says, "Daddy, daddy, daddy." 

All of a sudden she is pairing her toys up so there is a mommy toy and a daddy toy.

When I say clingy, I can't go to another room without a total meltdown.

I just wish I could find a way to ease this for her a bit.

• And thanks for the vet, Leah!
  • Hmm...

I know one thing that is always recommended on here is having the father tape himself reading bedtime stories. You can put them on before she goes to bed and that way daddy can read to her. 

I'm trying to think of another way that she could see him live. What about in the morning? Would he be willing to get up early a couple times a week to have a little date with her?

No problem. :)

• I have no advice since I have no kiddos, but I wanted to tell you that the siggy is adorable!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Lace&Josh:
    I have no advice since I have no kiddos, but I wanted to tell you that the siggy is adorable!

lol Ditto. I keep meaning to tell you that on ML. The caption makes me laugh every time.

• Wow, that's a long time. :( Sorry for you guys, but you can do this! Kids are resilient. I only have furbabies myself, so this advice is just some I've seen given on this board.

Have you thought about having her write her daddy letters (or draw him pictures) whenever she is sad? Or any age-appropriate craft project she can do to "make daddy happy." Also, he can write her letters that you read to her when she feels sad. 

Even though he isn't deployed, once a week or so, you could send a "care package." During the week, the things she makes can go in the care package.

Also, when it's getting a little closer (after Christmas) and you have a definite move date, you can make a paper chain. Every day, remove a link to help her count down. 

GL! HTH

• Thank you for those suggestions!
  • Cheesy and cliche but I would ask him to make her a "Build a Bear" and record his voice with a special message. She can hug it and cry with it when she goes into meltdown and she can talk to the bear when she feels like it.

Or Daddy blanket!

http://fabricfamily.com/

Or both!

Good luck

• image moaningmyrtle:

My husband recently moved to AZ (from OH) for work. Because I am a teacher, under contract, we won't be joining him until June of 2010.

My daughter is having a rough time with it. We skype,  about once a week, but it's hard due to the time difference. Does anyone have any advice?

I realize he is not serving the country, but I thought you guys might have some tips.

Dude, why do I not know this? I don't have any words of wisdom...sorry! :(

I hope you figure something out for Penny though!

Missed M/C 11/5/2010 @ 5 weeks, 3 days* D&C 12/3/2010 at 9 weeks, 3 days
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers