Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

MoroccoJade - Re: ECg

Hey Jade... just wondering if you can share your ECg story of those first few months. I didn't start N until he was 7 months, but I want to start earlier this time around. This past weekend, N woke up ~3hr after going to bed to tell me he had to pee... I was SO excited!! his daytime is good, but we still diaper him for bed/nap and if we're gone for the day (although on the weekend he was in undies to go grocery shopping, and went pee there).

anyways, I am just looking for any tips with starting with a newborn. I'd really appreciate to hear your story. Thanks!

Re: MoroccoJade - Re: ECg

• Hooray!  Great to hear you want to start even earlier this time.  You *won't* be disappointed. 

It was super easy.  I had a flippin' cesarian, so I was pretty useless the first week of DD's life.  But then my mom entered the scene. 

She held her granddaughter for about 30 minutes then said, "Well that was nice!  Now it's time for you to start using the potty."

I had a plastic bowl from the dollar store.  Probably 8" in diameter.  Mom laid DD down on her change table, took off her diaper... lined the bowl with a disposable diaper liner to make it a bit more comfortable...  and she held her feet up and put her little tush in the bowl.  Mom said "ssssssssssss!" and DD peed *immediately*.  Then she praised her and said, "Ok, time for a poop."  She held DD upright- supporting her under her knees and on her back over the bowl.  Mom made a slight grunty/pushy noise, and ....... voila.  DD pooped. 

It seriously is that freaking easy at the newborn stage.  No animal - (humans included) - will instinctually pee/poo in their own space.  So that's why as soon as the diaper comes off a newborn will do his/her thing all over the place.  But, we train that out of them and get them used to diapers and going on themselves.  

So how did I follow up?  At most diaper changes I'd offer her the bowl.  9 times out of 10 she'd go.  If she didn't need to go she'd fuss a bit, so I took her off immediately.  When she woke up in a good mood?  On the bowl.  If she got fussy during a feeding - DEFINITELY time for the bowl.  Instincts tell us it's not nice to eat and pee/poo in the same place at the same time.  So she'd use the bowl, then return to nursing nicely.

So in the earliest days, I'd just offer at strategic times and when I was in the mood.  Then I got good at noticing her cues.  We all know our baby's 'poop face'.  And her little eyelids would turn pink when she'd need to pee.  I'd tell her to "WAIT!" and she *always* would.  Even when she was only weeks old.  Perhaps it was just because I'd startled her and she wasn't relaxed enough to eliminate... but then the bowl came out, she'd relax and go.  

Of course, we had bad days where she was fussy and nursing was hell, etc... so we wouldn't offer the bowl all that much.  And that was fine.  You don't want to burn yourself out on it.  You want to have the energy/desire to see it through.

At 4 months we turfed the bowl and got a ring for the toilet.  She needed a lot of assistance to sit on there of course...  but it still worked great.  

At 7 months she was in panties for several hours a day.  After 8 months, I bet between DH and I we only had to change about a half dozen poopy diapers in the following year.  

She's been absolutely trained/accident free during the day for several months now.  Public loos were the final battle there...  Found a great solution if you're interested... 

And nights?  Just for the last couple months.  But I'm not complaining.  ;)  We were never nighttime ECers.  We let her pee in her diaper.  Now, she gets up once or twice a week for a 3 am pee which she sometimes needs assistance with.  (depends on her pajamas.)  But days?  She does the whole thing start to finish on her own.  All of a sudden she disappears and I just hear a flush.  If it was a poop she knows she needs help with wiping and I hear:  "Mommy!!  I had a big poop!  Help pleeeeeease!"   lol.

Sounds like you're doing well with your first little one.  It's going to go even better for your second.  I promise you!! :)

Sorry about the novel....  oops?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (sGpn)

• thank-you so much for writing the novel, Jade! I really appreciate it.

just wondering what you mean when you said your mom "lined the bowl with a disposable diaper liner to make it a bit more comfortable"? was the baby  touching the bowl, and she didn't want it to scrape her? or was the diaper right in the bowl (and you threw it away bc it got wet)?

Noah feels the same way about public washrooms... in terms of the loud flush. But with him, bc he's a boy, and wants to stand like daddy, we always just get him to stand on the seat. he doesn't pee or poo on his own on a seat insert. He really likes the little potty... lots of independance there. but toilet time (with an insert) is usually for reading books (he got used to this with my mom a long time ago). He knows when a pee or poo is coming, and just gets right on his potty and goes - or asks to stand on the toilet (or... pee on the grass - yeah, he's a country boy in that way!). He's still a little too short for our stool and he doesn't point & hold his penis in the bowl - so thats why he stands on it.

anyways, I love what you wrote - very encouraging!

• image Mrs.Rachel:

thank-you so much for writing the novel, Jade! I really appreciate it.

just wondering what you mean when you said your mom "lined the bowl with a disposable diaper liner to make it a bit more comfortable"? was the baby  touching the bowl, and she didn't want it to scrape her? or was the diaper right in the bowl (and you threw it away bc it got wet)?

These liner things look like a big roll of toilet paper.  I think they were made by Kushies.  (For CDs).  We decided to do EC rather than CD, so we used the liners to not have her butt come into contact with the hard plastic bowl.  It was just a comfort thing for her in the beginning.  Then when she'd pee/poo on it, we'd just flush it away.  

Noah feels the same way about public washrooms... in terms of the loud flush. But with him, bc he's a boy, and wants to stand like daddy, we always just get him to stand on the seat. he doesn't pee or poo on his own on a seat insert. He really likes the little potty... lots of independance there. but toilet time (with an insert) is usually for reading books (he got used to this with my mom a long time ago). He knows when a pee or poo is coming, and just gets right on his potty and goes - or asks to stand on the toilet (or... pee on the grass - yeah, he's a country boy in that way!). He's still a little too short for our stool and he doesn't point & hold his penis in the bowl - so thats why he stands on it.

I'd love to see him standing on the seat!  Hilarious!  But effective.  So I think it's just great.

How old is Noah?  My girl 100% got over her fear of public washrooms at 18 months.   What a relief that was. It was a real pain.

I don't know what you think of this, but I'm glad we went from infant bowl to a ring right away.  It seems hard to wean some kids off the floor potties.  Like you said, the independence is nice, but they often form a preference for the floor potty.  But they can't use that forever, they'll have to graduate some day... I just wanted to eliminate an extra step.  Also, I didn't want to clean the thing.  I didn't hate cleaning the bowl, but it was nice to get her directly on the toilet early.  Especially when she was on solids.  I just flushed all those stinkier poos away.  I had no contact with them!  lol. 

anyways, I love what you wrote - very encouraging!

I hope your new baby comes soon.  I also hope you have a very smooth labour and delivery.  Looking forward to hearing how newborn ECing goes for you.  :)

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (sGpn)

• I just wanted to say thank you for sharing on the board, very interesting to learn!!! My DH's cousin's friend had a baby (weeks old) also trained to pee/poop on command and never really wore diapers - I was amazed.
  • Jade... Noah is just a few days younger than your DD (Aug 18th he'll be 2).

Yeah, I wish he wasn't so stuck on the floor potty. for a few days/weeks he was great on going on the toilet all the time (and it is cute when he stands on it!). but bc my mom is his main caregiver while I'm working, she didn't push the toilet so hard, and just wanted him to use the potty. now, he doesn't want to go back to the toilet so much.

Its tough when you have different ppl doing this with your child. my parent's were away for a week in March (he was 18 months) and thats the week I decided no more day time diapers (more or less)... bc my mom was always upset saying she didn't want him peeing on her floor. Between my DH and I, we gave him our full attention and caught every pee (and my mom doesn't give him that full attention). after that week, he was golden. my parents were so impressed. Its hard to convince others about early potty training.

so glad to hear someone else's first hand experience! thanks :)