International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Teaching in the UK

I tried to find a teaching position in the UK a year ago and they said that I wouldn't be able to get sponsored for a visa...but then I believe tofumonkey or someone else on here said that wasn't necessarily true.

I have a multiple subject teaching credential from California, with an authorization to teach middle school biology/general science.  Does anyone have any advice when it comes to finding jobs in the UK with those qualifications? (I know we just got to Korea...but it never hurts to plan ahead!)

Thanks so much!

Food Blog: Cate's World Kitchen
Ellie Jane - 9/12/11
Post-partum races!
11/6 - Kennedy Drive 8K: 36:27 (7:20 pace)
12/4 - North Face Trail Half Marathon: 2:10 (9:27 pace)
12/11 - Arts and Sciences 5K: 21:56 (7:03 pace)
1/8 - Golden Gate Park 10K: 44:30 (7:09 pace) PR!
1/22 - Waterfront 5K: 20:54 (6:43 pace) PR!

Re: Teaching in the UK

  • I'm really not an expert so am sure people will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's fairly difficult. Unless you are qualified in a particularly needed area (when it's just a matter of luck), then I think you need a UK qualification.

    That said, I'm sure I've heard of Americans (who wouldn't have trained in the UK) teaching over here...

    My guess is if you're qualified, apply for jobs. If htey want you - i.e. they can't find anyone else (so someone who wouldnt' need a visa, that is from the UK or EU), then they'll apply for a visa for you. It's possible...

    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Two of my coworkers (in a London school) were canadians who were sponsered by the school. My visa was a spouse visa. My certificiation is from Maryland. I was not trained in the UK.


    Call teaching agencies and see which ones will help with sponsering. I know one of the Canadians worked with SmartTeachers.


    Definitely go through an agency though. a) they are VERY hepful, b) many schools won't talk to you if you are international unless you are through an agency, and c) you make more money through an agency than on your own.


    If you want to work long term, then you can work on your certification in the UK. You can start it after you have been teaching over here for a year. Its not that hard to do. You have to pass a test and make a portfolio.

  • Not to be a debbie downer, but teaching jobs are *really* hard to come by right now.  My AIL is a head teacher and has worked in the US and UK and hasn't been able to find a new job (she's facing voluntary redundancy, but currently teaches outside of london).

    There was an article the other day that saying teaching vacancies are at their lowest ever and a further 500 teachers are facing losing their jobs in Scotland.  Another article said figures obtained from North Lanarkshire Council showed that for one post advertised earlier this year there were 500 applications for a primary job and the average number of applications for a teaching job in the authority was 239. 

    So at least in Scotland it's a bit nuts!

    ?Transatlantic Blonde?
    it's called a kilt, he's scottish
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards