Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: Need marathon advice please

I've been wanting to do this for months now, and have finally committed to the idea. Once I figure out what days to book our trip, I'm going to register for the Disney Marathon in January. WHAT FUN!

I'm not sure whether to return to DC the day AFTER the marathon (enjoying the days before at the parks, not exerting myself too much, not drinking too much) or doing the marathon the day after I land in Florida and enjoying Disney in the days afterwards.  

For any of you amazing women who have already run one, what do you think?

I've run a half marathon before and had no issues - felt fine the next day. I also walked 40 miles (26 Saturday, 13 Sunday) for the Avon Walk with very little training beforehand. I did call in sick the day after that because it hurt to walk, but then that was 40 miles and no training. I plan on running slow, with walk breaks (average about a 12-minute mile), with "only" a goal of finishing. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

TTC since Mar. 2010; 6 IUIs 2011 = 2 CPs; BFP (conceived naturally) 12/9/11; m/c 1/7/11

Re: XP: Need marathon advice please

• Good for you!  I know that Disney closes quickly, so make sure it's still open before you book flights.  I would register for the race before you make travel plans.

I recommend saving your fun for the days after the marathon.  In the days before, you should stay off your feet and not be spending your days walking the parks.  You will feel fine afterwards and be able to enjoy Disney without feeling nervous about sapping your legs for race day.

• If you plan on running slow and not trying to make a PR time, why not stay for an extra day or two?  I don't know that you'll be in the mood to do Disneyland after going through 26.2 the day before but the day after mine, I wasn't sore, just completely drained.  I just laid around all day and veg'd.

Good luck with everything - how exciting!!

• Congratulations!  Watch out...marathons are addicting.  I did my first as a "once in a lifetime" thing and now I'm training for #8.

I vote marathon early, then stay a few days to play in the parks.  Luckily you don't have a time change to worry about,  But, drink a lot of water on the plane so you don't get dehydrated!

• Thanks, ladies! After reading your responses and the ones from my local board, I think I'd like to arrive Saturday, run Sunday, and then have fun maybe Monday through Wednesday. Monday morning might not be pleasant but hey, that's what pool time is for! Thanks for your help!  
    TTC since Mar. 2010; 6 IUIs 2011 = 2 CPs; BFP (conceived naturally) 12/9/11; m/c 1/7/11
  • I ran the 1/2 in Jan.  We flew in on Thrusday and ran on Sat and then stayed until Thrusday.  I like doing it this way b/c I felt we were able to enjoy the park, have drinks and stay up later and not worry about running a race.
    Married 7/23/06 DS 4/21/09 Bfp 3/12/11-Lost twin #1 at 18w5d and twin #2 Baby Lainey 19w6d