Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Open water race next weekend

I am thinking of signing up. Help me decide between the 1/2 mile or the mile. I want to improve my 1/2 mile swim for my upcoming tris. Right now I can do it in about 13 min. The one thing I need to work on is the start,just swimming right through the chaos and finding my own little path to the finish line. If I can do that I am sure I can drop some time, the rest is cake. I could definitely do the mile but I just kinda don't want to. I've done this particular race in the past and place 6th in my age group. So the potential to place high is good. I've been going to practice a lot this summer. What should I do??

Re: Open water race next weekend

• Definitely do the half, since it sounds like you most want to work on a strong start and speed.  Good luck!
  • If the 1/2 miler is more in line with your race distance and it's speedwork that you need, then of course, the 1/2 mile makes the most sense for you in your training plan.  Now, if you were 2-3 months out from your sprint and wanted to build up your long slow distance swim, then the mile would potentially prove more beneficial.  Have fun and enjoy the swim practice!
    I agree, the start and dealing w/ people is tricky for me too. 
  • Can I just tell you how jealous I am that you can swim a half mile in only 13 minutes?  It takes me twice that long!