Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What birth control method do you use?

I use the pill. I have for about 10 years now and I take it at the same time every day. I am very responsible with it and it has never failed me. I recently lost my  job and therefore losing my health insurance. I will be on a new insurance plan, but it does not provide maternity coverage (nor are me and DH ready to have children anyways). Knowing my luck, the pill will fail me.... now. So I want to start using a second birth control method to be on the safe side. So what do you use, besides the pill, and what do you like to use (compared to other forms)? Thanks!

Re: What birth control method do you use?

• We use condoms. I like it because it's easy to use and makes clean up nice and simple.?
  • im not on the pill...i was on it in high school and it made me so emotional..that was 9 years ago though and wanted off of it...so we've been using condoms ever since...we dont really like condoms but id rather not be an emotional wreck, so the rubber it is...
  • If you're really that concerned, you could look into getting an IUD.  Some docs won't place them if you haven't had children yet........but there are plenty of docs out there that will.

I just use the NuvaRing.  I've never really worried about it failing me and have never seen the point in double-dutching unless I had a reason to suspect that my birth control wouldn't work.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Maybride2:

If you're really that concerned, you could look into getting an IUD.  Some docs won't place them if you haven't had children yet........but there are plenty of docs out there that will.

I agree, but with your insurance sitch, you may or may not have to pay for it out of pocket.  The initial price can be steep, but it usually ends up being much more cost effective in the long run.  If you decide to go that route, you can look at clinics like Planned Parenthood where it will probably be discounted. 

• I have the Mirena.. I've never had kids but they put it in anyways b/c I was a good "candidate."

Love it, but I would only get it if you're not planning on kids for a few years.. it lasts 5 years.

no periods! no side effects.. it's great! I'll miss it when we start TTC next year!

(most will say it hurts when inserted but if you're on your period when they do it it hurts no more than your normal cramps)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Prayer...kidding.

I was on the pill for 5 years and went off because it made me really emotional.  So, we've started using condoms.  It's not easy because we got really used to not having a barrier between us.

• pill + spermicide
  • Just sayin' that if you've used it for 10 years w/out fail, you should be fine. I have used it for many years w/out a backup or a slipup as well.
  • ArtNutArtNut member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker
    Fertility Awareness Method.  Obviously you can't use it to double up with the pill, but the two PP's who use condoms should check it out.  It's soooooo nice not to have to use condoms. 
  • image americanrumba:
    image Maybride2:

If you're really that concerned, you could look into getting an IUD.  Some docs won't place them if you haven't had children yet........but there are plenty of docs out there that will.

I agree, but with your insurance sitch, you may or may not have to pay for it out of pocket.  The initial price can be steep, but it usually ends up being much more cost effective in the long run.  If you decide to go that route, you can look at clinics like Planned Parenthood where it will probably be discounted. 

This. There are places were you can get it steeply discounted or free. I use Yaz and have only used pills or condoms.

• Mirena IUD.

I know that with the Paragard IUD you can go on a payment plan.  I think the details are on their website.

• image ArtNut:
    Fertility Awareness Method.  Obviously you can't use it to double up with the pill, but the two PP's who use condoms should check it out.  It's soooooo nice not to have to use condoms. 

This. Except we still use condoms except for the days that I know for sure I'm not fertile. I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and have been doing this for about 3 months.

• DH and I have always used condoms.  For the longest time I didn't have insurance so couldn't affort BCP, and then once I got insurance and started researching BCP, I just didn't want to deal with the weight gain and the low sex drive so we just stuck with condoms ever since. 
  • We've been using condoms and/or a diaphragm (with spermicide). The diaphragm is super old-school, but it's an OK alternative to the condom. (I don't use it too many days in a row to avoid a UTI.)

We like the barrier methods so that my hormones aren't compromised with a pill or the Nuva Ring. If your periods are regular enough, you can rely on the fertility awareness method, but certain things can throw your schedule off-wack, so be careful.

• If you want to stay on the pill, it would make sense to just add some spermicide, or do they still even make that foam stuff?  I think it's just spermicide.  Spermicide alone won't be so effective in preventing pregnancy, but will kill many of his little swimmers just in case. 

I have a Paragard IUD, and don't use anything else.  It is as effective as they come with no chance of human error, like the pill has.  I like that there are no hormones.  I always felt as though I had no libido on the pill, so I wanted to stay as far away from the hormones as possible.  Also, I have never had children, and my doctor did it.

• My friend tried that, and she got pregnant after a month!
    Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • image anna2029:
    My friend tried that, and she got pregnant after a month!

What was she using?