Inland Empire Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm torn...OB question

I only see a PCP right now (actually a PA) so I am going to be getting a referral to an OB. I have always used St. Jude for everything but the furthest North they go is Diamond Bar which is where my PCP's office is.

I know she'll suggest a St. Jude OB, but is OC (they are usually in Fullerton near the hospital) too far to drive? Especially once I'm further along? Should I look for one closer to Upland?  I would love to deliver at St. Jude but is that unrealistic given how far away I live?

Please tell me if I'm overloading you with baby/pg questions....I'm in that "overwhelmed I don't know anything what did I get myself into" stage!

TIA =) 

Re: I'm torn...OB question

• My OB was at Loma Linda which is 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic and some days that felt like WAY too far. How long would it take you to get there? And when you are too far along and cant drive yourself (if you come to that) can someone take you and wait for your appointment and take you home? Would you feel comfortable being in labor and making that drive to the hospital? Would you rather deliver closer to home so family/friends can come see you? I think you should answer these questions and see what you think. I am still so thrilled that  you are pregnant!
  • I think you will soon find out. If you love them you'll travel. :) I was lucky & loved our OB. Some girls on the board were not & had to "shop" around. I hope it all works out.

Congrats again!

• I had St Jude and loved my PCP & OB in fullerton but once I moved further down to south OC I got more lazy about going. One time I got super sick and was not motivated to go to the drs so I ended up deciding to wait it out until I got even more sick and ended up at urgent care.

I think it's up to you if you're willing to make the drive. If you need a St Jude OB rec let me know I really liked the one I use to go to. 

• For me I preferred to have my ob closer. During this pregnancy there were a lot of times that I needed to go just to pick up labwork and other things.?

And towards the end it does get really tiring to even drive. Especially after having to wait in the office for an hour, than you would have to drive home in traffic.

But you do need to have an ob to feel really comfortable with. Also some ob work with a couple different hospitals. So I would call around and ask if anyone closer to you delivers at St Jude

• My OB's office was about 20 mins from where we live, but since she was on my way to & from work, it wasn't too bad. ?I like my OB, so I'd make those trips whether she was on my way to work or not.

The hospital I had the boys at was also about 20 mins away from our home -- we got there in plenty of time.

Ultimately, it's what you feel most comfortable with. ?

Good luck!

• Now that I am closer to the end and have appts every week, it is really nice to have my OB so close to me. My appts are really short, 30 minutes at most (with waiting time and exam), so to drive far for an OB appt would have been annoying and tiring for me. It was also nice that I could go to my appts before work and it was on the way to the office/ or home depending on when my appt were. Regular appt were short too, I would have spent more time driving than at the actual OB's office.

I love that SACH is close to home too. It also helps that I have heard such great things about it and we know a NICU nurse there if we need one. It is nice to know that I can do some laboring at home before I have to head to the hospital and not worry about traffic or anything like that.

In the end, you need to do what feels right for you and go with an OB you are comfortable with.

• Thanks for your input. My PA said it's totally up to me. I don't even get to see the OB until 12 weeks so I have awhile to go before I even get to meet him.

My H (or mom) can take me to appts. as necessary so I'm not as worried about the drive. It can take up to an hour to get there or back with traffic though so that is my concern.

I apparently have to switch my PCP in order to see a non-St. Jude OB though (unless my dr.'s office is wrong about that) which I'm not happy about. Then I would have to try to get back in with my PCP once I've had the baby and they haven't taken new patients in awhile so I hope they'd just let me back in.

Grr. I should have just changed doctors when I moved here and I wouldn't be having this problem now. 

• I agree with Sher. I'm so glad I chose SACH. DH's godmother is a RNP at Redlands and she tried to get me to switch to her office. I knew it would be a hassle driving out there all the time. My appointments were also really short sometimes, so the long drive wouldn't have been worth it. But still, if you are comfortable with your choice that's all that matters.

If you decide to stay close to home, I can refer you to my ob. I was VERY pleased with his entire office.

• For now I am sticking with St. Jude. I think ultimately right now I want to be with doctors I trust. I have loved everyone I've seen with St. Jude and when I talked to them today they understood that I come from a little further away and were nice enough to schedule all my appts. on my days off (Mon/Tue) so that helps.

• I know that this is different, but my RE is 35 miles away, and I am so glad I didn't "settle" with someone closer. ?Yes, sometimes it sucks to drive down there 3 times a week, but I trust my doctor and the care she gives me and it makes the travel worth it. ?(Not sure I would be saying the same thing if I were 30+ weeks pregnant, though.)?

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • One word ... Traffic.

?

I LOVED the OB/GYN I had when I lived in Pasadena, and kept her after I moved out here. ?But when I got pregnant, the office said "what if you go into labor at 6 a.m?" ?That's a 2 hour drive to Glendale at that time. ?So I found one out here. ??

• I'm with Kim on this one. My OB is in West Covina and I had to drive from Riverside, a 45 min drive each way, to see him.

Yes it was a total PITA, especially when I was seeing him weekly, but totally worth it to have a Dr. I trust and respect seeing over P and my health.

My water broke at 2 am, we waited till 7:30 to leave, got to the hospital at 9 am and we were just fine.

• image G_Lo2be:

I'm with Kim on this one. My OB is in West Covina and I had to drive from Riverside, a 45 min drive each way, to see him.

Yes it was a total PITA, especially when I was seeing him weekly, but totally worth it to have a Dr. I trust and respect seeing over P and my health.

My water broke at 2 am, we waited till 7:30 to leave, got to the hospital at 9 am and we were just fine.

Amy, thank you!! Hearing from someone else who used an OB that was further away makes me feel better.  I am so so so ridiculously afraid of losing this baby that I don't want to see a doctor I am not 100% comfortable with. I <3 St. Jude. 

• Amy, thank you!! Hearing from someone else who used an OB that was further away makes me feel better.  I am so so so ridiculously afraid of losing this baby that I don't want to see a doctor I am not 100% comfortable with. I <3 St. Jude. 

Your welcome Mama!

And

1. I was terrified of losing P too so it's normal to feel that way. Or if it's not "normal" it seems like most of us go though the same thing.

2. no you are not asking too many questions.

• image G_Lo2be:

1. I was terrified of losing P too so it's normal to feel that way. Or if it's not "normal" it seems like most of us go though the same thing.

2. no you are not asking too many questions.

1. I was terrified of losing R too, especially since I had already had a loss. We never "celebrated" our pregnancy until well into the 3rd tri. In fact, many of the shower gifts I received remained unopened until she was actually here. That's how scared/cautious I was about assuming that everything would be ok. I totally understand your fears.

2. I agree with Amy. Ask away!