Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

ok I know this sounds weird.... Long

But here's the backstory. DH & I have been staying with his parents to try to save some money to buy a house & have some time where we want to live. Here or move to Missouri. Since dh is just getting out of the Army things are pretty unsure so we didn't want to sign a lease on a new house for a year & regret it later. DH has been looking at rentals but the cheapest ones are in a not so great area, in the trailer park. They are small & dirty & seems like a waste of money to dump into each month. Well while DH was in Iraq he started talking about just buying an RV for now and we can live in it until we buy a house. He's been talking about it for almost a year now. I was not too excited about the idea... until I saw what we could afford to rent each month. So dh has been scouring Craigslist for a good buy.  Well he found one, we went to look at it & he bought it. It's old and needs some cosmetic stuff definately. But for the price we paid, it would have been about 2 months rent. So I guess we are moving out of his parents living room & moving into the rv, as soon as I get it cleaned & some things inside fixed. We will be parking it in his parents driveway so we still have access to all of the convieniences that we need. I am actually a little excited. Now we can save money and have our own space & some privacy. And it will be lots of fun for camping and lake trips. So I guess we bough our first home together.... lol. I know it sounds a little redneck but it's a step closer to us buying our dream home.
"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap and tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap and tell them about me?" DD 9/22/03 Our little sassypants! DS 4/10/10 My little man is growing so fast

Re: ok I know this sounds weird.... Long

• One thing I want to warn you about is the "squatting" laws in Denver. My Aunt was living in her RV on the side yard at my parents' house for a while after her divorce with the same idea that she would have all of the conveniences of my parents' house if she needed them.

Then, the police came by to tell my Aunt that she couldn't live in her ?RV because it was considered squatting. If I were you, I would look into the laws, rules, and regulations, and how much it will cost if you have to move to an RV park.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I would just hate to see you having to deal with that type of stuff later on.?

• Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  And I would imagine the privacy would be worth anything you have to sacrifice.  One step at a time, you know.

Truthfully, my DH would LOVE to live in an RV.  He talks about it all the time.   Except he wants the kind that goes on the bed of a pickup truck.  He thinks it would be so fun to travel around with one of those on the back.  While I love to camp and doing the RV thing sounds like fun, I would require a little more room than a glorified cab of a pickup truck.  If I can't stand up inside, it ain't happening!! :)

Married July 21, 2007

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you guys planning on putting baby plans on hold? I cant imagine living in an RV with just DH let alone two kids!
  • image layla1704:
    Are you guys planning on putting baby plans on hold? I cant imagine living in an RV with just DH let alone two kids!

Yeah ttc is on hold until at least after the summer. I needed a break & since things are so up in the air we decided to just wait.

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap and tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap and tell them about me?" DD 9/22/03 Our little sassypants! DS 4/10/10 My little man is growing so fast
  • image KatieKeller#2:

One thing I want to warn you about is the "squatting" laws in Denver. My Aunt was living in her RV on the side yard at my parents' house for a while after her divorce with the same idea that she would have all of the conveniences of my parents' house if she needed them.

Then, the police came by to tell my Aunt that she couldn't live in her  RV because it was considered squatting. If I were you, I would look into the laws, rules, and regulations, and how much it will cost if you have to move to an RV park.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I would just hate to see you having to deal with that type of stuff later on. 

We live in Pueblo West & we are good to go, law wise. We live in a quiet cul-de-sac & his parents have said it's legal for us to stay here in the driveway. Smile definately something that could throw kinks in the plan for sure! we had looked at an rv park & the cost is reasonable so if that happens we are still good, just not our ideal place to stay. It is definately a short term plan. Plan is to be in a house by the end of the summer, hopefully in Missouri!

• image CholeCO2006:

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  And I would imagine the privacy would be worth anything you have to sacrifice.  One step at a time, you know.

Truthfully, my DH would LOVE to live in an RV.  He talks about it all the time.   Except he wants the kind that goes on the bed of a pickup truck.  He thinks it would be so fun to travel around with one of those on the back.  While I love to camp and doing the RV thing sounds like fun, I would require a little more room than a glorified cab of a pickup truck.  If I can't stand up inside, it ain't happening!! :)

Yeah dh had a long road convincing me!!! Thankfully its more roomy than what your dh would love to do! It's about the size of a single wide trailer. It's not a long term solution but it will definately work for the next couple months.

• I lived in an RV. 

When I was in second grade we moved up to Longmont from Littleton. My parents put our house on the market expecting it to sit for a little while but they got someone right away who was willing to pay like $10,000 over their asking price so we packed up. Our house in Longmont wasn't done yet so we actually lived in our RV inside our garage for a couple months. My dad got the plumbing in the basement so that we could go in there to take a shower, use the toilet, & brush our teeth. Then after we lived in our RV we actually lived on air matresses in our living room for about a month.

It's totally do-able.... It was me (7 y/o), my brother (14 y/o) and both my parents. Looking back on it, we actually always talked about how much we enjoyed it. We would play lots of board games and have a lot more family time that we did when we had our own domains.

-ashley & jake-
    TTC #1 since August 2008 -
    C/P - May 2009 - - M/C @ 6w1d Feb. 2013
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/28wgjdc.jpg[/IMG]

Est. June 2008 - Vail, CO
  • Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do - no harm there.  Think how great it will feel when you can buy your home!
    [IMG]http://charliesweblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_9813-copy.jpg?w=452&h=800[/IMG]
  • image RoxBride:
    Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do - no harm there.  Think how great it will feel when you can buy your home!

Definately! & then we have a great rv for camping & lake trips :)

• I have a friend with a DH in Marines - active duty & relocating every 6-12 months.  They have 2 kids too.

For a while they lived here & bought a house in Lafayette.  Since her DH was going to be at 3 different bases in a year, they decided to stay in the house & let him go solo.  A few months later, they all missed him so much that she bought an RV, put their house up for rent & they all traveled together for the next couple of years. 

She's a wannabe-Martha Stewart, so I was shocked that she could handle it for so long.  She said that it took a couple months to get used to it, but that they really loved that time.

He's still in the military, living in the RV in CA.  She's here right now because they got really screwed by a renter who didn't pay & trashed their house.  I think they'll go back to RV-living next year though.

PHOTOS REMOVED

• YesHey, congrats - you bought a home together...  I don't care if it is a van down by the river, you discussed goals, made a plan, and you are following thru with it, together as a family. You have a roof over your heads (and you can drive that roof around, if you need to). Two things made my "dream home" - security in that home, and knowing I was going to be safe inside it with DH each night.  That RV sounds like the perfect little home right now.

Congrats again!

Potter the Wonder Doggie, and Todds_kid, Cooper :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Spirit of Power
    Eat, Drink, and be Keri
  • Hey, no flames here... no matter what stigma may still exist for some people when it comes to RVs, have you seen how nice they can be?  My grandparents had one they would take on the road one month each year and it was swank.  Granted, the space might get to be too confining for you after a while, but for the interim it sounds like it was just right!  Good job, DH!

Waiting for some innocuous creativity... I'll let you know.
  • thank you ladies for being so supportive. I know we made a good decision for our long term goals & Keri you are right those 2 important things in a home are what matters most to me! When we got engaged I told him I'd live anywhere he wanted... guess I meant it! And now when we want to go on vacation we dont have to pack!!!! ha ha