International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Labor Day

May 1st - woo hoo!  Party!!!

Who else has tomorrow off?

Re: Labor Day

• May Day is still a National Holiday here, they just don't call it that any more Smile
  • is tomorrow labor day?

edit: ok i always get memorial and labor day confused as to which is summer and which is fall. but labor day is fall isn't it? and memorial day is summer - but not until around the end of the school year I thought. I always had finals in HS on memorial day...

• In the US, labor day is in the fall and memorial day is in the spring. ?In Europe May Day (called Labor Day in some countries that don't want to deal with the Communist history of May Day) is in the spring.?
  • No real plans!  We forgot it was a holiday until this week!

We'll probably head to the park and enjoy the sunshine.  And stay up late involuntarily because of the Russ buses.

Tell me, do you guys get Russ buses down there?  That is one tradition that blows my mind (and my eardrums).  I've been told it's mostly a B?rum thing, and Russ in other parts of the country just pile into someone's old car.

(For those of you who don't have the fun of living around Oslo in May, the high school graduates [aka Russ] have a tradition of renting buses - yes big ol' tour buses, equipping them with huge speakers, and then driving them all over the city as mobile discos teeming with drunken 18-year-olds.)

• That makes sense. I didn't even think about it being a different holiday with the same name somewhere else - how quickly I fell back into the "America is the center of the universe" now that I'm living here again. yikes!

Does the UK have a bank holiday this coming Monday? I can't remember if they celebrate this or not...

• Yes, my husband has the day off (bank holiday) on Monday but not tomorrow (we're in London).
  • It's called Workers' Day here and everyone celebrates it but it's not an official national holiday so DH will still be working.
  • We have Monday off for the Bank Holiday. We are spring cleaning our house. I am mean.
  • image GilliC:

Tell me, do you guys get Russ buses down there?  That is one tradition that blows my mind (and my eardrums).  I've been told it's mostly a B?rum thing, and Russ in other parts of the country just pile into someone's old car.

Yes we do, but I thank God we don't live anywhere near B?rum.  That's where the super rich, super spoiled kids live so I don't imagine their behavior is very appropriate.

They Russ kids are pretty chillaxed (at least in public) here in the boonies, because they save their wildness for the big gatherings versus every day insanity.  My boss was telling me that outside Oslo tonight the biggest gathering in Norway happens, and there will be arrests and chaos.  So stay indoors tonight! 

• No labor day here, but I guess they are celebrating in India, since DH doesn't have a status call this afternoon at work because India is on public holiday. Which means he gets to come home earlier, yay!