Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help me, and formal introduction.

Hey there! I'm MM, and I'm a compulsive overeater with a pure hatred of physical activity and battler of Hashimoto's Disease (hypothyroid precursor).  I'd like to join the skinny girl club.

Backstory: I'm trying to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon after almost 5 years of being on and off. I'm 5"4, and my BMI is 27.4. I've lost about 5 lbs since January, but fizzled out and have been maintaining within 1-2 lbs of my current weight. This past week I decided to try and take it seriously while my FI, who is an incredible cook (and baker of fresh bread, curse him) is out of town.  I use WW e-tools to track my foods and weight, a vestige of the days when I used WW to lose my post-NYC-living/law school weight. 

I am trying to have a realistic goal of getting down to the lowest weight I can remember being as an "adult," which is 135.  I've got 25 lbs to go. I'm also planning to get married next year, which you would think would be supremely motivating, but being the incredible procrastinator I am, it's just not doing it for me.

So I need some help. I know what I have to do food wise- stay strong and stay away from the carbs. For all intents and purposes, I'm a vegetarian. I keep strictly kosher and kosher meat, cheese, and fish is not widely available where I live (and is supremely expensive) so it's all too easy to turn to the pasta, potatoes, and rice.  But thanks to Alisha_A and some others, I've gotten some great ideas for healthy and filling salad and meal ideas and have discovered the joy that is fat free greek yogurt.

What I'd love from you guys is some help figuring out just about how many points/calories I should be eating and the best way to get on an exercise plan- and how to adjust my eating accordingly. Whenever I've had bursts of motivation and ran/walked for weeks at a time, I gained weight without changing my eating habits. This freaks me out. WW has me on a 22 point (1100 cals/day) target, with the extra 35 points per week to spread out (1350 if I eat on average 5 extra pts. per day, which I seem to do). I've calculated my BMR which is 1517 on some sites and 1617 on others....?

I work from home and have plenty of time, and a treadmill, 3 lb free weights, a medium resistance band, and a yoga mat. And access to FitTV.  And a pedometer. And steady stream of dogs that come and go (we foster) that would love to go for walks. Joining a gym is not an option right now- besides, when I had a gym membership in the past, I never went and wasted about 3-4k. Not cool.

Any ideas for me? Any advice on how to go about incorporating exercise into my routine without the dreaded "not eating enough" causing my body to hang on to every ounce? I'd love to retry C25k for the 3rd time (first time, fizzled at week two, 2nd time, fizzled at week 3) as running is free and seems like a worthwhile pursuit. But I'm not sure 3 days a week is really enough...

TIA if you've made it this far!

Re: Help me, and formal introduction.

• Hi MM!  It's been a while, hope you're doing well! 

Have you heard of/tried Jillian Michael's 30 day shred DVD?  It's currently all the rage on the nest, so you've probably heard of it.  I think it's a great way to get into a fitness routine because it's only 20 minutes long.  Who doesn't have 20 minutes?  Most people see results pretty quickly too, so it's a good motivator.  The best advice I can give you for sticking with a program is to try to do it at the same time every day so that it becomes habitual.  I do the 30 day shred every weekday morning right when I wake up.  I run in the afternoons right when I get home.  I find that if I do my workouts before getting caught up in something else, like housework, the dogs, horses, etc., I'm more likely to do them. 

As far as the eating and WW, I don't have a lot of advice there.  I've battled off and on with a mild eating disorder, so I try to just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.  Easier said than done and it does take a conscious effort.  I've seen WW work well for people though.  My dad has taken off about 80 lbs and has kept it off for 5 mos.  My mom lost 25-ish lbs and has kept that off for over 6 mos now I think.  GL!

• It's great to "see" you on here too horsegal! It's been forever. I'm heading to  NC tomorrow morning to drop my newest foster off for her transport to NY :) It never ends!

I have seen all of the info about the 30DS and maybe I should go bite the bullet and buy the DVD if it's really all that and a bag of rice cakes. I have oodles of time, I just loathe moving- so it's not really a time issue, KWIM?

• Hi MM =)

If I were you, I would continue documenting everything I eat. I wouldn't follow WW though, as it seems your caloric intake is extremely low. At 1100 calories a day, you're not going to have the energy to want to work out and you'll probably end up bottoming out...from lack of calories or lack of satisfaction.

I would eat at least 1500 calories a day, or alternate between 1100 and 1500 if it makes you feel better to consume the amount they've told you in order to lose a specific amount of weight. BUT, keep in mind that with 1100 calories, chances are you probably aren't getting enough nutrients. You said you use your extra points daily (usually) so switch off between 1350 and 1500 calories a day. Once a week, maybe up your calories to 1800 to "trick" your body. This will keep is guessing and keep your metabolism from slowing down, which in essence keeps the fat on your body. ?

As far as exercise - because you have time, I would start by walking 30 minutes to an hour a day and slowly increase your pace until you're jogging/running. If the c25k is what you feel comfortable doing because it's scheduled, do that. Just make an effort to do at least 30-60 minutes of cardio a day. Also, get heavier weights...maybe 10 lbs to start with and start incorporating weight training into your exercise!

I don't know how you are not 200 lbs living with a chef and a bread maker! I would be in absolute heaven! I have little self control...we have to keep the bad stuff out of the house!

As far as not being motivated by the wedding...girl, DH and I didn't get serious until about 8 weeks out. At that point, it was go time! You'll get there!

Good luck!?

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6575230315_917bcd4ff6_m.jpg[/IMG]

[url="http://growingalemon.blogspot.com/"]BABY BLOG[/url]
  • Hellooo MM!

I think you need to keep developing a healthier household lifestyle. I know your H does most of the cooking when he's around, but now and then you should cook a meal that is healthier. Also do things like take some time on a nice day to hit up a farmer's market and get some great local produce. I feel so much more into produce when I learn about how good it is for me (I love www.whfoods.com and www.vegparadise.com/highestpercharchive.html) or when I hit up a farmer's market. There are also (at least where I live, but I know you must have farmer's markets!) a lot of variations that I wouldn't get in a store. I thought I hated cucumbers but lemon cucumbers were so cute I had to try them. Well actually, it turns out I LOVE cucumbers, all kinds.

As for exercise, you have to find what you like. I just hate running. Really hate it. I keep trying to talk myself into it, but I can't take the dogs really, I get bored, its just not me. I love the gym, but quit when I broke my arm and I know I won't go over summer, so I'll join back up in the fall. For now I will get more exercise in fun activities like kayaking, walking with the dogs and friends and dancing, house upkeep and gardening (hey a good spring cleaning really burns calories!), and exercising while I watch tv. I almost never ever just sit while I watch tv. Even if I'm just stretching, I do something.

• Thanks so much for the advice! Yeah, I can't really do the 22 pts/day thing most days. And it sucks because I hate seeing the points "debited" from the bank like that- it feels like failure or something. Wah.  

Would you suggest doing C25k every day? It's a 3 day/week program but I really need something more consistent than that to keep me in the habit.  Any thoughts on whether I should alternate that with something else? And what kinds of exercise demos should I be looking to use with the weights, if I went out and bought 10 lb-ers?

image delem:

I don't know how you are not 200 lbs living with a chef and a bread maker! I would be in absolute heaven! I have little self control...we have to keep the bad stuff out of the house!

As for this, I was rapidly heading in that direction. Seriously- there are two of us. You want to hear what he cooks for the two of us while he's here? Fettucini alfredo (with 4 cheeses, heavy cream, omg) from scratch, two 3 ft. loaves of challah (egg bread), prime rib roast and french bread (for sandwiches), chicken "wellington" (chicken wrapped in puff pastry). It's sheer insanity- it's almost a relief eating salads and veggie sandwiches on whole wheat while he's gone, his food is SO rich.

There are worse things, but it's out of control when *I* have no control. Yeah.

• image mm1569.:

Thanks so much for the advice! Yeah, I can't really do the 22 pts/day thing most days. And it sucks because I hate seeing the points "debited" from the bank like that-?it feels like failure or?something. Wah. ?

Would you suggest doing C25k every day? It's a 3 day/week program but I really need something more consistent than that to keep me in the habit.? Any thoughts on whether I should alternate that with something else? And what kinds of exercise demos should I be looking to use with the weights, if I went out and bought 10 lb-ers?

image delem:

As for this, I was rapidly heading in that direction. Seriously- there are two of us. You want to hear?what he cooks for the?two of us?while he's here? Fettucini alfredo (with 4 cheeses, heavy cream, omg) from scratch, two 3 ft. loaves of challah (egg bread), prime rib roast and french bread (for sandwiches), chicken "wellington" (chicken wrapped in puff pastry). It's sheer insanity- it's almost a relief eating salads and veggie sandwiches on whole wheat while he's gone, his food is SO rich.

There are worse things, but it's out of control when *I* have no control. Yeah.

OMG! Heaven!! I completely understand the need for salads/veggies. If I eat bad 3 days straight I find that I'm anxious to get back on track...it's exhausting eating so badly sometimes! At least you realize this - that's a good start!?

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6575230315_917bcd4ff6_m.jpg[/IMG]

[url="http://growingalemon.blogspot.com/"]BABY BLOG[/url]
  • image Alisha_A:

Hellooo MM!

I think you need to keep developing a healthier household lifestyle. I know your H does most of the cooking when he's around, but now and then you should cook a meal that is healthier. Also do things like take some time on a nice day to hit up a farmer's market and get some great local produce. I feel so much more into produce when I learn about how good it is for me (I love www.whfoods.com and www.vegparadise.com/highestpercharchive.html) or when I hit up a farmer's market. There are also (at least where I live, but I know you must have farmer's markets!) a lot of variations that I wouldn't get in a store. I thought I hated cucumbers but lemon cucumbers were so cute I had to try them. Well actually, it turns out I LOVE cucumbers, all kinds.

As for exercise, you have to find what you like. I just hate running. Really hate it. I keep trying to talk myself into it, but I can't take the dogs really, I get bored, its just not me. I love the gym, but quit when I broke my arm and I know I won't go over summer, so I'll join back up in the fall. For now I will get more exercise in fun activities like kayaking, walking with the dogs and friends and dancing, house upkeep and gardening (hey a good spring cleaning really burns calories!), and exercising while I watch tv. I almost never ever just sit while I watch tv. Even if I'm just stretching, I do something.

Yeah, umm, I'm a big fat do-nothing-er while watching TV and on the laptop. My @ss is glued to the sofa.

I do need to start cooking more and finding recipes that he can modify to suit what he wants to eat.  One thing I saw someone mention on one of the boards was doing tacos for the DH, and doing a taco salad for themselves. I have to keep searching for things like that, and when he feels like making 10 loaves of bread, I just have to stay strong and let them go bad if he won't eat them and doesn't give them away. It's not my job to be a walking, talking garbage disposal and feeding my tuchus /= feeding starving children in Ethiopia.

• Holy cow! Those foods...wow.... I just can't eat like that. I think I'd be in the bathroom! I pretty much have a stomach of steel but I don't think the human body is really meant to tolerate so much cooked fat and cream. I may be biased though, I hate hate hate alfredo.

Also find ways he can sub without it changing. Using egg beaters or whites in place of eggs in baking or omelettes.

And get up more. Walk away from the computer. Shall I harass you on that one? I can see you.... hahahaha.

• I'll let the experts answer your questions.  I've just never heard of anyone else with Hashimoto's!  I was diagnosed when I was 16. I've had to spell it out and explain it to some doctors.  It took months for them to figure out what was wrong when I was in high school.  My thryoid levels are not at a point where they want to medicate me - apparently the medication is very hard on your body.  I get them checked every few months and we'll see where it takes me.

I don't have much to contribute, just some friendly encouragement! 

Happy Spring!.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Alisha- you can be my taskmaster to make sure I exercise every day! I should do it when I first wake up for sure, before I get wrapped up in other crap.

Stephanie- my first endo didn't want to medicate, but I had really terrible symptoms and got a second opinion. So I'm on Synthroid (my vet thinks I should switch to Armour, like Maggie, ha!) but it doesn't do much for me. I'm still cold all the time, sluggish, and don't lose even when I have the stomach flu! It's a PITA.

• Have either of you seen a naturopath for the condition? I know there are more natural ways to deal with thyroid issues, and while I'm not familiar with the condition, I think it'd be worth a shot!
  • image Alisha_A:
    Have either of you seen a naturopath for the condition? I know there are more natural ways to deal with thyroid issues, and while I'm not familiar with the condition, I think it'd be worth a shot!

How would I find a naturopath?  I've never been one for alternative medicines, but I'm willing to try.

mm - when I met with my new endo when I moved down here, he said the medicine they'd put me on wouldn't even help with my weight.  I haven't been back in a while, but my regular doctor monitors my bloodwork, and my med tech mom makes sure I'm getting the right test done.  :)

Happy Spring!.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker