International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mother is frustrating the h*ll out of me

Augh.

So my mother is convinced that the average salary in the UK is the exact same number as an average salary in the States. ( ie: 60,000 dollars average salary in the States is equivalent to an average salary of 60,000 pounds in the UK )

My aunt works as a vice principle in the states and makes 100K ( dollars ) a year. She wants to do the same job in the UK, and my mother has basically called me an idiot because I told her the average salary for that job in the UK is between 50-65,000 pounds - which is an excellent salary here from what I understand.

However, my mother, who has never lived outside of her home country, worked in the UK or been here other than a tourist obviously knows better.

Snarl.?

Chronically hilarious - you'll split your stitches!
I wrote a book! Bucket list CHECK!

Re: Mother is frustrating the h*ll out of me

• Haha!  My mom is like that too- she tells me places to go visit in China and how the Chinese people act, even though she's only left the US to go to Canada... but in her defense, she watches a lot of Travel and Discovery Channel Wink

Just try and let it go.  Tell your Aunt to do her own research and she'll figure out which one of you is right!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicInternational Nestie!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have found that a lot of people do not understand currencies. I'm sure your aunt will figure it out pretty quickly that she won't be making 100k pounds per year as a deputy head in a school :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mothers always know best, don't they? Wink

In all seriousness, I'm sure your aunt will figure it out when she starts to actually look and apply for similar positions in the UK. I would just ignore your mom, in the 'smile and nod' manner one also uses with little kids. She doesn't know any better, and I'm sure she means well...

• Your aunt is in for a bit of a shock, isn't she?
  • It was more how she said it, not what she said. Something along the lines of: That is ridiculous. Nobody with a masters degree would work for less than 100K, it would just not be worth it.

and no, my mother does not have a masters degree. She just idolizes it. Apparently a masters degree is the end all be all of the universe.?

• Tofu - you've had a name change!

And yep, you're aunt will get the right steer as soon as she checks the job adverts. Smile and nod, smile and nod. You know you're right.