Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Speaking of computer security issues...

My e-mail account got phished a week or two ago (I think that's what you call it - everyone of my contacts got spam from my account). Ever since then my internet (firefox) has been occasionally freezing up temporarily and hourglassing. I saw something on the news about how viruses can harness your processing power to use for other things and am wondering if that's happening here. (not saying that's why it's happening, my laptop is also an old piece of crap that will be replaced soon.)

But what I can I do to make it better? My Norton is up to date. I run scans all the time. I changed all my passwords on a different computer. Do you think downloading free spyware or adware software would help?

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.

Re: Speaking of computer security issues...

• That's not phishing (not sure what its called other than hacking). Phishing is when someone sends you an email that looks exactly like a reputable company that you do work with (eBay, PayPal, Bank of America) and say that you need to log on to verify your account or password. Obviously, the link leads you to a fake website (also looks exactly like the real thing) and you put in your log in info. They then use that to steal your identity, at least part of it.

The free spyware & adware may help some. Norton is a good program but there are better. It may be worth it to take your computer in for a tune up/clean up.

I don't know what else to suggest, I'm only slightly technically literate :)

HTH & GL 

Life is a roller coaster, enjoy it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lighthouse State Beach, Santa Cruz.

• I work for a company that makes a web browser based on Firefox.

There are many causes to a browser freeze or crash. It could be the amount of extensions installed; it could be that your profile has been corrupted (not by a virus). If it reaches a point where it's just too frustrating to use, the best would be to export your bookmarks and to run the browser with a clean profile (i.e fresh).

As a general rule, it's always best to get the latest update of a browser. Firefox releases security patches and bug fixes quite regulary.

Make sure your antivirus software is always up to date. 

But unfortunately, even secure sites are not always safe... Not long ago (around December), there was some news about how some SSL certificates were issued when they shouldn't - putting a lot of private info at risks.

In any case, I think you're doing a good job at being careful, though. I can't think of anything else you could do for now.

(ETA: sorry, I'm not feeling so good tonight , so I might not be writing/explaining all this well)