Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Alexander Hamilton bios

I'm reading Alexander Hamilton: American by Richard Brookhiser right now, and I'm kind of struggling with it.  Did anyone else read this one?

Of course I know that Chernow's book would've been a better book, but I copped out and went with the shorter one instead. 

The writing is kind of killing me, and this dude is SO biased, it's exhausting.  I get that biographers tend to lean a bit in favor of their subjects, but last night I read a 2 or 3 page ramble about how weak was James Madison.  Anyone who could be seen as a political rival of Hamilton's is just castigated in this book, and often unjustly so, I think.  And I'm only about 60 pages in. 

It's only a 200-something page book, so I'm about 1/4 through.  Do I quit and read Chernow's book instead (probably not right now, though), or suck it up and finish?  I'm usually all in favor of setting aside books I don't love, but in this case, I really want to read a Hamilton bio, and I don't know that I want to dedicate the time it'll take me to read 800 pages on him right now.

Re: Alexander Hamilton bios

• I have the complete Federalist Papers in my kindle, so if I quit on this book, I might just read that instead.

Speaking of Federalist Papers - we were made to read certain issues of the Federalist Papers in law school for Constitutional Law class, and I totally did not appreciate what I was being made to read back then. 
  • Confession: I've never read the Federalist Papers. For college or law school.

I would probably just quit. It's one thing to be bored and wonder if the book will get better. It's another thing to be viscerally annoyed throughout the book.
    image imageimage
  • I read Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow and I really enjoyed it.  So I would say abandon this one and read the Chernow version, life is too short for boring books. 
    Books read in 2011: 111

Books read in 2012: 100
    Books read in 2013: 75
    Books read in 2014: 130
    Books read in 2015: 98
    my read shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)