Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How easily do you abandon books?

I'm listening to Euphoria by Lily King.  I've been listening to it for like a year and a half.  It's not a long book, but I just can't finish it.  I WILL finish it today (see? I have to convince myself), but it's like pulling teeth.  For some reason I just can't abandon it.  Maybe it's because it's a short book and I feel like I should just be able to plow through it.  Maybe it's because I already put a sizable dent in it and don't want to have 'wasted' my time.

I have several books in my TBR pile that I refuse to give up on even though I've tried several times to read each of them.  Several, I know have amazing reviews.

WIMOHB -Don't hate me, I'm halfway through!
Mistborn - I've stared this twice and am only 7% in.
The Great Hunt - Started twice as well
Dead Wake - I've been working on this 2 pages at a time for 4 month.
Heart Shaped Box - I'm not sure this counts since it's only been a month.

I feel like I should the adopt the philosophy of there's not time to waste on bad books, but I don't know that I think these books are bad.  Just slow?  Random musings for a Friday.  How easily do you abandon books?

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Wes: 10/8/2012

Re: How easily do you abandon books?

• I have to finish a book even if it's bad.  I know it's a waste of time but I can't help it.  

• ^^^^What she said.  I usually like to give books a chance to get better and by the time I have decided it's terrible, I'm far enough in that I feel like I have to finish it.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I have the hardest time giving up books. I think I've only put down five books in my life.  I will suffer through to the end.  I just listened to Life After Life on audio and it took me about two months. It was so slow and I didn't always feel like listening so my library check out ended twice and I had to wait for it again.  I should've given up on it after the first time my hold expired but for some reason I have to finish!

• I give it about 10%.  If I'm not hooked, I put it down.  I'm pretty good at knowing if a book is going to grab me by then (basically by the writing style - if the story seems dumb but it's an easy read, I'll probably keep going.  But if it's a hard read, I have an easier time giving it up ).  There are too many books to read for me to read a "bad" book.  If I get farther into a book and am still struggling (like I am now with The Lake House), I will just skim.
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • Nope.  No time in my life for books I'm not enjoying, and too many that I really want to read to waste that time on bad ones.

When I used to have reading goals for the year, it was harder to give up on books, because I would feel like I had just wasted so much time trying that bad book, so I should finish it so it can count toward my goal at least.  But then I realized that just didn't make sense, and I was essentially forcing myself to read stuff I wasn't into.  I also don't set goals anymore.  I try to read more than I did the year before, but I'm not strict about it.

There are plenty of books that I find slow, but I keep reading anyway.  It took me something like 3 months to read Thomas Jefferson's biography.  It was a great book, just very big and very slow.  I read something about the history of cancer research a couple of years ago that was the same way.

I quit on Dark Witch last night.  I feel no remorse.  I gave it something like 30%, it wasn't getting better and so many NBCers were dissing it, I just couldn't do it.
  • I have a really hard time putting down a book too, however I have a hard time getting into most books. As PP's have said, usually I get 50 - 100 pages in before I say it's really not good, but I'm so vested I have to keep going. My issue is that I don't put them down and come back to them later, so it just takes me longer to read that book.
  • I really really really have a hard time giving up on a book. So I rarely DNF. A couple times my perseverance has been rewarded when I finally finish book I didn't enjoy the whole way through, but when it was finished, and I thought about it a bit, I realized I loved it. That's only happened like twice, but still. :)
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • I really really really have a hard time giving up on a book. So I rarely DNF. A couple times my perseverance has been rewarded when I finally finish book I didn't enjoy the whole way through, but when it was finished, and I thought about it a bit, I realized I loved it. That's only happened like twice, but still. :)
    This just came up on another thread. I had a REALLY hard time with "We Need to Talk About Kevin" but the very end was like phew thank goodness it was really good. I'm always glad when there's a good ending to reward you for sticking with it.
  • I just gave up on Lena Dunham's book. If I'm reading and IJDGAF about anything that is happening, that's the point I give up. It's a rare thing for me, though.
  • When I was little my Dad told me I wasn't allowed to abandon a book until I read 60 pages in to it. 

Nowadays, I make myself finish every book. I hate that I have all these incomplete books and I'm working to finish them, interspersed with new books. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can't bring myself to quit. I only have three books that I've ever given up on (and one of them I started by mistake, because it had the same title as an IRL book club selection).

That said, I do have 5 books that are on my "currently-reading" shelf that I started years ago and set aside for some reason or another. But I fully intend to finish them eventually!
  • For the record, I did end up finishing Euphoria, and I probably should have abandoned it.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• The books I'm interested in reading vastly outnumber the time I have to dedicate to reading, so if a book is difficult for me to get into and it hasn't grabbed me by 50ish pages (maybe 100 if it's a long book), then I don't feel bad for moving on. Sometimes I come back to it, but more often than not, I don't. 
  • It seems that the older I get, the easier it becomes for me to abandon a book that I'm not into. Up until about 2-3 years ago, the only book that I ever DNF'd was The Grapes of Wrath. Now I'm in the camp that gives the book about 100 pages, depending on the size of the book. 

• I guess it depends on the reason it's slow going for me. If I pick something up and I don't like the author's voice or it's got cliches that drive me crazy, I usually just put it down. If I feel like it starts slow but has potential to be good, I usually push it out until 10% or so and see if I'm still not into it. If I've made it past 25% I rarely give up though. It feels like I've put all of this time into it already that I should suck it up and finish. 
    image image
  • I'm pretty quick to give up on a book I just don't care about.  I do tend to finish any book I have strong feelings about, even if I dislike it, just because it's eliciting strong feelings.  I'll also finish a book that has discussion value or artistic value (classics or book club choices) or slower books on a subject I want to learn more about.
    image image image
  • I have started abandoning books pretty regularly.  It's taking more and more to get my attention, so if a book doesn't draw me in early on, I'll probably be putting it down.  In the past I had a really, really hard time abandoning anything and now I just can't stand to read something I don't really even want to read.

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Ditto. I don't know why I have such a hard time stopping, I always feel guilty lol.
    Jessica, Married to Brian 12/27/03, Mom to Alex 6/27/94, Devin 10/29/04, and Emily 1/15/07
  • I think for me it's about my mood at the time I'm reading said book.  There have been books I've started and set down because I wasn't in the mood for them at the time.  I've gone back to them and enjoyed them.  I find that I tend to enjoy books less if I have to force myself to finish them.

I also tend to put physical books aside more easily than I do audiobooks.  The only audiobook that I've abandoned was a recent one.  The Thinking Woman's Guide to Magic.  I hated it.  Hated everything about it so I quit.  I don't care if it ever gets better.  And that reminds me that I need to get it back to Audible so I get the credit back.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• It depends on the book, though I really hate giving up on any book that I spent money on. But if it's a book that's mostly gotten great reviews, I'll struggle through and probably end up finishing it so that I can at least discuss it with others. If it's one I got for a Kindle daily deal or for 50 cents at Goodwill I'm more likely to give up after about a fourth of the book if it's not any good.