My MIL and I have never been super close, but I've never had to spend more than 3 days with her at a time, meaning I've always done my best to get along with her. Recently my husband and I moved a few states away for my job, and she was the biggest opponent of our move, even going as far as to try and convince my husband I was being selfish. Either way, we moved and invited all our families to visit as they wanted. She was the first to want to visit, and both my husband and I were surprised when we received her itinerary by e-mail for a three week visit. Ugh.
She's currently here and nit-picking everything I'm doing. In order to keep up my spirits I've been texting my best friend whenever my MIL makes wild claims or ever so slightly makes a remark about me and my best friend attempts to cheer me up. In the light of keeping a good sense of humor, and living through the 3 weeks, I wanted to share.
For your reading pleasure, "Reasons Why My MIL is Currently Angry With Me" (and yes, I wish I was making this stuff up):
- I mentioned we do not wear shoes in the house (she wore them anyways).
- I told my husband he didn't need a lid on the pot in order to steam broccoli, even though my MIL insisted he did.
- I don't have "proper" salt and pepper shakers, although I'm still not sure what that is.
- Our tiny town doesn't have a vegan restaurant (she's not vegan).
- My husband and I eat wheat.
- She has arthritis, which she never told anyone about, but we were supposed to know before suggesting a nice walk.
- We use our dishwasher instead of washing everything by hand.
- We tried to take her to a huge outlet mall for fun.
- I asked if she wanted help cutting veggies, because she was taking 10 minutes on 1 tomato.
- I refused to pull over to the shoulder of a busy major interstate so she could take a picture of something.
- I told her I didn't prefer human names for pets after she asked me directly.
- She only drinks decaf coffee, and we were supposed to know this.
- We don't get up at 7am on our days off.
- I have to go to work while she's visiting (because I can't take 3 weeks off work at her whim).
- I asked her to please not describe her eye surgery in detail, as I have a phobia (she ignored me and continued to describe).
Hope you've enjoyed. Hopefully the list won't get much longer over the coming days. Wish me luck!