Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

siblings sharing a room

We are considering buying a house that has master + 2 bedrooms.  We have three kids, so our boys (currently 7, 2) would share.  In our opinion, the sharing bedroom is plenty of space for two twin beds on the floor (or stacked as bunk beds), dressers and closet space.  This is a long term house for us so we don't plan on moving before our kids are grown so they will share until the 7 yo graduates/moves out.  We don't see any immediate ways to remodel or add on for an additional bedroom, but could be a possibility in a few years.  

What are your feelings about kids sharing a room?  Pros or cons for us to consider?  DH and I both shared with a sibling for a few years growing up but it seems most families want a room for each kid.  A friend of mine thinks we are crazy for even considering it because of this.  We love everything else about this house.  

Re: siblings sharing a room

• Meehhh, I think it's ok but my girls will have to share a room too, 6 and 7 months.  I mean it might be a pain for the oldest when she is a teenager, but maybe we can get room dividers or something.  
    TarponMonoxide
  • beenbizzy said:
    We are considering buying a house that has master + 2 bedrooms.  We have three kids, so our boys (currently 7, 2) would share.  In our opinion, the sharing bedroom is plenty of space for two twin beds on the floor (or stacked as bunk beds), dressers and closet space.  This is a long term house for us so we don't plan on moving before our kids are grown so they will share until the 7 yo graduates/moves out.  We don't see any immediate ways to remodel or add on for an additional bedroom, but could be a possibility in a few years.  

What are your feelings about kids sharing a room?  Pros or cons for us to consider?  DH and I both shared with a sibling for a few years growing up but it seems most families want a room for each kid.  A friend of mine thinks we are crazy for even considering it because of this.  We love everything else about this house.  

I still say sharing a room is a great idea!

I came from a generation where nearly nobody had their own room, if they were part of a group of siblings where they had a same-sex sibling.

If there were 3 girls, a parent or parents and 3 bedrooms, the parents got one, the 2 youngest girls shared a room and the oldest girl got the third bedroom, by seniority status.:)

You could also get a trundle bed to save space. That's a bed that pulls out from underneath the "top" bed; the bed underneath would be where the boxspring is. Bob's Furniture and tons of other places carry them.

• I always thought siblings only shared a room if the parent's couldn't afford a larger home. I only had one friend growing up that shared a room with her brother at that, but finances was the reason. Other than finances, I don't see a reason not to give your child their own room. I couldn't imagine growing up without the privacy of having my own room.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I don't understand why siblings can't share a room.  It's a luxury to be able to have a separate bedroom for each child- most people just can't afford a house like that.  Neither is detrimental or helpful.  It just is what it is.
  • People can make anything work when they have to, but I think if there's a way to have them not share a room it would be preferred.  Especially as the children get older.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My parents and us lived in a two bedroom apartment when I was between my 10-16 yrs of age.  We are four children, two girls/two boys and we shared the one bedroom.  We had two sets of bunk beds, the boys slept on the top bunks and my sister and I slept on the bottom bunks and we never had a problem.
  • Five years is a pretty big age span, especially later.  What are you going to do about different bed times, different study needs high school vs. elementary or middle school?  Of course, we only have the one boy and he has two bedrooms of his own! LOL!  I'm laughing right now trying to picture him sharing his space, video games, alone time with ANYONE. 
  • I think you will run into problems as they get older, just mainly because of the age difference. Your older one is starting school and may be on a different sleep schedule then your younger one. That will only get greater as they get older. If you can at least create a space outside of the rooms for them to do their homework, so that way if one has to stay up later then the other to do homework, they aren't bothering the other. If they were closer in age I think it would be easier because they would be on the same schedules.
    KyraNerys
  • edited August 2015
    I see nothing wrong with sharing a room if that's the way it has to be.  But I would imagine it would be a bit hard for a school-aged child to get the rest he needs to get up and function at school when a toddler is in there crying/waking up a lot etc. and disturbing his sleep.  JMO of course.
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x200p0.jpg[/IMG]
  • If it has to be that way, then so be it. If there is a choice though, I would think privacy and separate rooms is better.