Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is anyone around today?

I'm at work and trying my hardest to avoid all the things.

How was your Christmas? 

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again?

Did you get any book-related gifts? 

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays?

What are your plans for NYE?

my read shelf:
Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Is anyone around today?

• Lauren620 said:

How was your Christmas? HECTIC.  Christmas is all about running around for me.  I passed out by 9:30 p.m.

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again?  Both.  I'm happy the stress of it is over, but I'm sad because it's usually a fun time of the year.

Did you get any book-related gifts?  No one in my family gave me anything book-related.  It's like they don't know me anymore.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays?  The Dream Thieves

What are your plans for NYE?  Dinner and drinking.

75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
    It's slippery as waterweed.
  • How was your Christmas?  Busy but nice.  

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again?  I'm glad it's over, I love Christmas but it's a lot of work before, during and after.  My home still isn't undecorated and cleaned up.  

Did you get any book-related gifts? I got 3 books from my in-laws, the Harry Potter Creature Vault, a newish Gail Carriger and a book in the Outlander series (which I can't remember).  

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays?  I reread Dark Fever, so good.  

What are your plans for NYE?  We might go to the movies Wed. afternoon after I get home from work but we'll see.  

Books read in 2011: 111

Books read in 2012: 100
    Books read in 2013: 75
    Books read in 2014: 130
    Books read in 2015: 98
    my read shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'm sitting around waiting to find out if I should be at work today. I was supposed to start my new job today but I've received no details about where I am supposed to show up (as in what floor) or who I should be asking for. I just got an email after I accepted saying "Your estimated start date is Monday details are forth coming after you get us the paperwork and we do a background check". I got the job through an agency so I called the recruiter first thing this morning, then I called the person who sent me my paperwork (she said she'd talk to my recruiter and get back to me also background checks take 5-10 days so she doesn't think they'll make me wait that long to start), called my recruiter again and then emailed him. Still nothing so this is fun. Christmas was good, no books but I did get a GC for my birthday so I bought books with that. No plans for NYE yet.
    Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.”
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• How was your Christmas? Almost non-existent. We ended up with one very sick kiddo who required a couple of emerge visits with fever, strep infection and an ear infection that led to a ruptured eardrum.  Oh... and we had to put my family dog down. So... MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? Both. I'm kinda wishing we could have a do-over, but I'm also looking forward to getting back to reality. I was actually looking forward to coming in to the office today.

Did you get any book-related gifts?  I did! A couple gift cards, some book themed trinkets and copies of How to Love and Just One Year. We still have to do gifts with my MIL and she'd asked for a book wishlist before Christmas, so I'm thinking there's more coming.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? The manual for my new camera.

What are your plans for NYE? We are hoping to go downtown for the kid's concert and festival to see Fred Penner and do a hayride/fireworks, but it all banks on my kid feeling better by Wednesday night. We'll do yummy snacks and probably watch movies at home if she's not well by then.

• How was your Christmas?  My Christmas was really nice this year!  We mostly kept to ourselves and turned down some invitations for things and spent a lot of time hanging out around the house. 

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? I'm sad that my week off of work is over, but not that Christmas has passed.  I'm looking forward to Christmas next year with a little one around!

Did you get any book-related gifts?  I didn't get anything book-related this year.  I do have an Amazon giftcard that I might spend on books if I don't spend it on something for the baby.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? I started The Martian and I like it so far.  I've been reading at a snail's pace though.

What are your plans for NYE? Absolutely nothing and I can't wait!

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• @MrsJenE It's weird because when family asks what I want and I tell them specific books or B&N GCs they never get that for me.  I got the Amazon GC in Dirty Santa, so it's not like it was intentional.

@jenndawnp We did minimal decorations for Christmas this year, so while it won't take long to put it all away I am still putting it off.

@NorthernLghts I would plan on a day at home in my pj's if they still haven't gotten back with you, they can wait until tomorrow!

@AshleyT121 Is A feeling better?  I am so sorry you have had such a rough week.

my read shelf:

• @lauren620 My mom still does stocking stuffers for me and my sister.  She's always going on and on about how hard stocking stuffers can be sometimes.  HELLO!!!!  B&N gift cards!!!
    75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
    It's slippery as waterweed.
  • Lauren620 said:

@MrsJenE It's weird because when family asks what I want and I tell them specific books or B&N GCs they never get that for me.  I got the Amazon GC in Dirty Santa, so it's not like it was intentional.

@jenndawnp We did minimal decorations for Christmas this year, so while it won't take long to put it all away I am still putting it off.

@NorthernLghts I would plan on a day at home in my pj's if they still haven't gotten back with you, they can wait until tomorrow!

@AshleyT121 Is A feeling better?  I am so sorry you have had such a rough week.

@Lauren620 - Thank you. She's a little better, but still pretty sick. Feverish this morning, not really interested in eating much and doing a lot of sleeping still. Complaining that her ear and tummy hurt. Poor thing... it's now day 6.
  • @Lauren620‌ I just made one last phone call to say "guess I'm not starting today, please call me back with details as to when I am". I've been unemployed for 5 months, I guess I can wait one more day.
    Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.”

• Our Christmas was good. The kids made out like bandits. I got a few GCs for Amazon and BAM and a new tablet. My Christmas stuff came down today to make room for toys. I've been in between books and can't decide what to read next. Plans for NYE? Nada. DH is just looking forward to being off, and we can't find a sitter.
    View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image

• How was your Christmas? We had a good Christmas.  This weekend was busy because of my kids basketball tournament but overall it was a good holiday.

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? The main thing I like about Christmas is getting a few days off work.  I have enough vacation time built up that I can take a few days off regardless so I don't mind waiting another year for all the shopping and stress.

Did you get any book-related gifts? No, but I'm ok with that.  I'd rather pick out my own books anyways.  I got some money and gift cards so I have plenty to spend on anything book related I might want to purchase.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? I read Landline which I really enjoyed.  I started The Raven Boys last night.  I want to get it done before New Years.

What are your plans for NYE? My twins are New Years babies so for their birthday we got them tickets to a Cleveland Cavaliers game which is on New Years Eve.  They are big Lebron fans.  We'll take them to that and go out to eat.  

• How was your Christmas?  It was exhausting, busy and wonderful. Something to do every day of my long weekend.

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? Christmas is my favorite holiday so I am always sad when it is over.

Did you get any book-related gifts?  I received an Amazon gift-card and The Pioneer Woman's cookbook.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? I was so busy I didn't have much free time to read, I am fixing that today to start back up.

What are your plans for NYE? Absolutely nothing. Cooking a nice chicken meal, and playing some games with the kiddos, then going to bed.

• How was your Christmas? Busy but drama free so it was nice.

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? A little of both.  I love Christmas but I'm ready for things to slow down.

Did you get any book related gifts? Yes, I got a Pretty Little Liars book, the new Macy Beckett book and I got my mom the new Janet Evanovich book which I will be borrowing soon.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays?  I barely looked at my books and I was off for over a week.

What are your plans for NYE? We are having a quit NYE again this year.  We are going to get some take out for supper, make some snacks for later and watch a movie with our kids.

- Jocelyn my read shelf:
    Jocelyn's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • How was your Christmas? Personally it was fine.  But it was drama filled on the family front.  And not on the side that my husband and I were expecting!

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? I'm happy that this particular Christmas is over.  I struggled getting into it.  But I'm sad because I am usually very into Christmas.

Did you get any book-related gifts? My brother gave me 1000 page Archie Comic book. 
    =)) After Christmas though I bought Unsouled with some Christmas money.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays?  Nada.  No time I guess.

What are your plans for NYE? Going to a friend's house for a party.  Booze and Board Games.

my read shelf:
    Miranda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
    "I don't much care where –"
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

• How was your Christmas? It was great

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? Sad. It went too fast

Did you get any book-related gifts? just a little bookmark from a friend.

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? as much as I can. I still need 2 books to reach my goal! ack

What are your plans for NYE? hand around home. no big plans

Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85

• How was your Christmas? Good. We spent a few days at my parents' and had a nice, mostly low-key Christmas. The boys had a blast and we played Taboo and my mom made about 1000 cookies and enough food for an army each day. 

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again?

I didn't do much Christmas prep since plans were up in the air until the last minute this year so I vow to do more traditional fun stuff for the kids next year. 

Did you get any book-related gifts?  YES! I got and gave a lot of books for presents this year. I told Paul that was pretty much all I wanted. Between Christmas and my birthday two days later, I think I ended up with a bunch of the books on my wishlist. The Colorado Kid, Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne (which I'm reading right now and it's super good), How to Create a Mind by Ray Kurzweil, Only the Good Die Young and The She Code by Chris Marie Green, Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay, A Curious Man, and I think one or two more than I can't remember right now. My Kindle is pleasantly full. =) 

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? I finished my friend Alison's book Breaking His Rules which I highly recommend for romance fans and then started The Colorado Kid. 

What are your plans for NYE? No plans yet. We might have movie night at home or do a game night with friends. 

image image
  • Lauren620 said:

How was your Christmas?  Great, but EXHAUSTING!!

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again?  See above.  The whole month of December was nothing but running back and forth from here to there for me.  I mean, I love celebrating, but with this year being as hectic as it was it kept me from enjoying it as much as I usually do.

Did you get any book-related gifts? A kindle paperwhite from my husband. :)  I'm loving it so far!

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? Finished Outlander (FINALLY!!) then started DIA.  I'm in love with this series and I'm so glad I gave it another chance!

What are your plans for NYE? Doing nada.  And I'm perfectly OK with that.

Siggy coming soon....
  • How was your Christmas? Really good!  So much better than last year's running around and drama.

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? Really sad.  I got a bad case of the post-holiday blues.

Did you get any book-related gifts?  Nope

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? Finished Damsel Distressed finally!

What are your plans for NYE? Dinner at my parents' then DH and DD will fall asleep and I'll drink champagne alone at midnight.  LOL.

Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • fabkfabk member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2014
    Our Christmas was great. We all had a great day. Both happy and sad it's over. I love the time off with Alex, rely and mh, but glad for the end of the chaos. Not really. I got a chapters gc, but that was it. Not much reading happened. Newfie new year! Celebrate with our Newfoundland counter parts at 10:30pm and be in bed by 10:45!
  • I'm at work and trying my hardest to avoid all the things.

How was your Christmas? It sucked, honestly. DH got sick on Christmas eve and I fell victim on Boxing day. We're both still stupidly stuffed up, coughing like fiends, and sound like foghorns. Plus my foot is bugging me tonight. I think the swelling is up again because I had to run a couple of errands today and my foot hasn't been up enough. Womp womp.

Are you happy it's over or sad we have to wait an entire year for Christmas again? Indifferent

Did you get any book-related gifts? B&N gift card. 

What are you reading/did you read over the holidays? I'm currently reading Conversion by Katherine Howe, but I've done a lot of reading over this break. I haven't felt much like reading the last two days though.

What are your plans for NYE? No plans this year. Just recuperation.

• Lauren620 said:

How was your Christmas? 

It kinda sucked.  One case of influenza (me), three cases of the stomach bug (DH & DDs) spread out over 4 days.  Plus, we had to send a cat to kitty heaven.  :(  I'm ready for spring!!!

Well, we haven't celebrated with my family or DH's family yet so I don't know about book gifts from them... but DH got me my annual HP page-a-day calendar!  :)

I reread The Raven Boys & started The Dream Thieves.

Nothing special at midnight.  Earlier in the evening we may celebrate Christmas with DH's family.

• Lauren620 said:

How was your Christmas? 

It was good.  There wasn't any over-the-top drama, nobody was mad at anyone else, none of the toddlers had an accident or a major melt-down.

Happy it's over.  Getting ready is exhausting and expensive!  I need to sit in a corner and lick my financial wounds for several months.

I got a B&N giftcard in my stocking.

I finished The Martian (excellent!!!) and am thisclose to finishing MOBY.

Nada!  Some friends typically throw a party and we were kinda counting on that.  No dice this year.

• @GreenBride624, I'm so sorry to hear about you all being sick and having to send your kitty to heaven.  How sad! 

Christmas was okay.  Rough this year being the first without my FIL.  A lot of our traditions were broken which I expected.  I'm happy the year is coming to a close.

Book related gifts: I got Dog Songs by Mary Oliver and Mistakes I Made at Work: 25 Influential Women Reflect on What They Got Out of Getting It Wrong which I'm very excited to read.

I read Y: The Last Man over the holidays and started the Happiness Project.  I'm also reading Good to Great by Jim Collins.  I'm in a self-help kind of kick lately.

NYE plans:  Our friends that live nearby are having a party so we're going to walk on over.

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

GreenBride624