Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Wacky Wednesday

sfgiantsjosfgiantsjo member
Ancient Membership 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
edited December 2014 in Nest Book Club
1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays?

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break?

3) Any traditions this time of year?
Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores

Re: Wacky Wednesday

• 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? I took Christmas Eve off so that I can have the 24th through the 28th off.

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? Lots of family dinners. Christmas Eve, day and boxing day. Then my nephew's first birthday party on the 27th.

3) Any traditions this time of year? TONS! :) Too many to name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays?
    Yes & I can't wait to be away from this hell hole!!  I have 12/24-1/4 off.

Christmas Eve at my house with my Dad, Christmas Day at my Mom's.  The break will just be hanging out with the kids, no real plans.

Not really any I can think of, I'd like to make some with the kids though. 

Jessica, Married to Brian 12/27/03, Mom to Alex 6/27/94, Devin 10/29/04, and Emily 1/15/07
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? Friday is our last day at work, and we don't go back until the 5th.

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? I had a bunch, but broke a tooth yesterday and now have to try to schedule emergency dental surgery at some point over the break. So that sucks. 

3) Any traditions this time of year? We always have dinner on Christmas Eve at my Aunt's house.  Lots of loud Cubans "discussing" (arguing) everything from football to politics to family gossip. We also have one gift box that travels from person to person. If you have it, you have to give someone a gift in it. Then the next year, they have to give it to someone. All of our dogs are included in this tradition as well. Josh has it this year, so we are thinking about giving it to my cousins dog. We'll give him a big bag of treats or something. My parents and sister and Josh and I get together early Christmas morning to open gifts. We put our pjs back on and have cinnamon rolls and coffee. I love it.
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? I am taking this Friday off and won't be coming back to the office until the 29th!

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? Mostly trying to avoid my ILs at all costs, but they aren't making it easy! I am hosting Christmas dinner this year so I'm really excited about that.

3) Any traditions this time of year? We used to have a lot, but with it being our first year without my grandfather living at home and my ILs acting insane we will be doing all sorts of new things. I missed Thanksgiving, but my mom has been droning on and on about how depressing it was with my grandfather in the nursing home and she doesn't want Christmas to be as miserable. So I'm looking forward to some new stuff this year and spending some time at home with MH before he has to leave for a work trip in two weeks.

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? I have off all next week, which I plan to fill with baking.  So. much.baking.

Well other than baking, on Christmas Eve I am going to a couple of hours north and have dinner with my step family.  Unfortunately my husband is working, so that I will be doing alone.  Then Christmas morning he and I are going to have cinnamon rolls while we open presents from each other at our house.  Then we'll trek across town to my grandfather's house and do lunch and presents with my family.  Trek back to our house where will be prep dinner, and then his family will come over and we will have dinner and presents!  And then a week of nada, and then a boozy New Years.  A very very very very very boozy New Years.  Give me 2015!!
    3) Any traditions this time of year? Well we've already done a bunch of them.  We set up our Lego Winter Village after Thanksgiving.  Set up the tree and decorated it the next day.  Listened to Transiberian Orchestra while wrapping presents.
    My favorite tradition we did last night.  We took our godkids (first year with two of them instead of just one!) to Hershey Park for their Christmas celebration.  We started doing that with our goddaughter kind of randomly when she was one.  Now she is four and she talked about going throughout the whole year.  When she realized that was where we were going she was so excited.
    It was awesome.

my read shelf:
    Miranda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
    "I don't much care where –"
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Nope I don't work Christmas eve (it's my normal day off) or Christmas. But the 31st is my last day of work so I am working every other week day between now and then.

My parents will be here Friday and leave on the 26th and my Big is coming up for the week between Christmas and NYE. Other than that it's trying to catch up around the house and get stuff done in the baby room.

Building LEGOs. Our Christmas village is the LEGO winter village. We now have every set that has been released (we have purchased 2 a year for the last 3 years) so next year it will be only one new set to build and add to our collection. This year and Santa and reindeer :)

I also make cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I am hoping to make them today and freeze them so it's easy peasy Christmas morning.
    DD born 1.25.15

• 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? We get Dec. 24 & 25 off as well as Jan.1.  I will also be taking Dec. 26, 29 and Jan. 2 off.  I can't wait.  I really need a break from work.

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break?  We are having family over on Christmas Eve so I have to clean and cook to get ready for that.  My kids want to sign up for a basketball tournament Dec. 27-28.  I'm not too excited about that.  I like watching them play but they play every Saturday for the next 2-3 months. This was our only free Saturday.

3) Any traditions this time of year?  Not really just spending time with family and going to Christmas Eve mass.  We'll probably drive around one night to look at lights.

After Friday, I have 3 weeks off! Yay!

Lots of sleeping.

Every 23rd we have friends over to watch Love Actually and drink hot rum cider. 
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? I'll probably have two 4 day weekends, 25th-28th and 1st-4th. 

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? Lots of sleeping and eating and reading. A few fun times with my daughter like going to see Into the Woods on Christmas Day and maybe ice skating. I'm also thinking I might bake this year. 

Every year on the 23rd I go to a friend's house to watch Love Actually and drink hot rum cider. 

Every Christmas Eve my daughter and I have dinner then watch either Home Alone or Home Alone 2 and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon not the Jim Carrey creepiness) and maybe Charlie Brown Christmas. Plus we open one gift, usually new Christmas pjs. 
    I get a day and half for both Christmas and News Years, I'm taking the morning of Christmas Eve off and I'm taking the day after New Years.  I've had a hellish time for the past few months and I really wish I got more time.  

Sleeping, family time for Christmas and for my little New Years break reading and movies.  

My family always does our gifts on Christmas Eve, we all get together at my place and it's nice.  We also eat junk food, it's wonderful. 
    Books read in 2011: 111

Books read in 2012: 100
    Books read in 2013: 75
    Books read in 2014: 130
    Books read in 2015: 98
    my read shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    aggiebug
    I'm taking 3 weeks off in total. We have 5 holidays this year, since none of them fell on a weekend! 24-26 Dec, 31 Dec, and 1 Jan. In addition, I'm taking 10 vacation days.

Going to Cambodia (and Vietnam). We're flying to Ho Chi Minh City, and then spending a few days on a river cruise around the Mekong delta. Then we cross the border into Cambodia and have two weeks to visit Kep, Phnom Penh, Battambang, and Siem Reap.

Traveling! The city shuts down for a few days around Christmas (not even groceries are open), so that combined with the holidays means that I usually use the chance to travel.
    aggiebug
    I had foot and calf surgery yesterday, so I am off work for two weeks.  Yay.

Recovery

Church on Christmas eve. We'll celebrate my birthday on Sunday, too. We can't travel anyhow (despite my foot) due to DH being a pastor, but it's ok.  We like each other's company. 
    :D
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? I'm a SAHM so when the kids get out of school, I'm on overtime! =)

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? Relaxing and spending time with family

3) Any traditions this time of year? We have been doing a fun advent calendar. We've gone to our local zoo lights and done a lot of Christmas projects
    Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85

• 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? Yes today was my last day until the 29th. I work the 29th and 30th and then I'm off again until the 5th. I make my own schedule though, so..

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? Lots of cooking (for family dinners and for my sister, who is due with her baby Christmas day) and baking. Some shopping. Lots of reading and family time.

3) Any traditions this time of year? I always make my grandmother's Christmas cookies, either with her or with my youngest sister in law. DH and I always get tipsy and eat a lot of junk on Christmas Eve night; that's also when we exchange gifts.
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? Last Thursday was my last day through January 5 - I get to keep the same schedule as my students this year :)

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? I'm visiting my nephews and niece right now, and after Christmas I'll visit my grandmother

3) Any traditions this time of year? The usual - a viewing of It's A Wonderful Life with my parents, Christmas parties, and tree decorating.  I think we may start a new tradition and go to the midnight mass at church instead of the evening service.
    image image image
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays?  I'm a SAHM so yes.  DD is off from school for 3 weeks starting today.  DH will be off the 24-28. 

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break?   This has been the year of the house repair.  On the 23rd I'm sitting at home all day waiting on two different repairmen while trying to entertain  a 4 year old.  Super fun.  On Christmas Eve our immediate families come over for dinner and we exchange gifs with them.  It's always very fun!  This year for Christmas Day I think we will just stay home which makes me happy.  Usually we go to my mom's house but they have other plans.

3) Any traditions this time of year?  We've hosted Christmas Eve at our house every year since 2009.  Christmas morning we make a big breakfast and just lounge around watching DD play with her presents.  Nothing too exciting!!  We do try to make cookies and this year we will introduce Christmas movies.  Honestly I've had a very hard time getting into the spirit this year.  I just kind of want January to come so we can put this year behind us.  
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? I get the 25th - 28th off so I am happy enough!

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break? We are having Christmas Eve at our house, Christmas day at my in-laws, then hosting Christmas again with my family the 27th.

3) Any traditions this time of year? Nothing to major, on the 23rd we always drive around to look at Christmas lights, and I am starting a new tradition where the elves deliver new jammies on Christmas Eve morning to wear.
  • 1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays?  I have the 26th off.

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break?  No special plans.  I will most likely follow my every day routine.  

3) Any traditions this time of year? Just taking down the christmas decorations on Dec 26.  We have no christmas traditions.
    90 books in 2015?
  • MrsJenEMrsJenE member
    Seventh Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    1) Do you have any time off for the Holidays? Nope, except for the actual holidays.

2) What are your plans for the Holidays/Winter break?  Other than spending time with family on Xmas, I'm just working.

3) Any traditions this time of year?  Arguing with H over Christmas tree lights.  I give him passive-aggressive responses to the questions he asks while watching tv as I string up the lights myself.

75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
    It's slippery as waterweed.