Getting Pregnant
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

GTKY Your TTC/GP Story – PGR & Long

When DH and I were dating, we knew we wanted kids.

We were married in 2004, fresh out of college. We were not going to TTC right away. We had friends who had done that who were divorced, unable to buy a home, unhappy in their careers, etc. We wanted to get our lives started first. I am so glad we did. I think if we had had a kid right away we would be divorced now. We weren’t ready and we knew it.

We were each busy with our careers, sorting out purchasing a home, job changes, a couple moves, etc. The economy slowed around the year 2007 or so (was it 2008?), there were a lot of layoffs and we were lucky to have jobs. So we plugged along, but there wasn’t a lot of chance to be promoted or change jobs. When the economy finally loosened up, DH and I both changed jobs around early 2012.  

We were now talking seriously about a timeline to TTC. We were happier in our careers and we weren’t getting any younger.

The spring of 2012, I got off of BCP for the first time after about 10 years on them. It wasn’t that bad actually. My cycles were normal within a few months. We were still preventing.

I waited until I had been at my job for long enough to qualify for FMLA and we started TTC. It didn’t take long. I can’t decide if the first month “counts” or not (due to timing). Anyway, we were PG within about one to two months of TTC.

It’s kind of a funny story. Not sure if I can tell it in a funny way online here. Anyway, the month we actually got PG, I wasn’t temping, but I had a pretty good read on my cycles due to timing them since coming off BCP about eight months earlier. And my cycles were longish but regular (only varied by about a day). Well, I tested when I thought I should have and it came back negative.

DH was disappointed and decided we needed to “redouble our efforts” he came up with an elaborate ST schedule (yes, really) and decided that “this would do the trick” (no knows nothing about fertility or timing or a cycle or anything, so I found this particularly amusing). I wasn’t worried because I knew it could easily take us a year. I told myself I wasn’t even going to start “worrying” until about six months into TTC. DH normally doesn’t ask about my cycles at all, but all of a sudden he was asking me once (twice?) a day when I was going to get my period because he wanted to implement his “schedule”.

Well, one day (Friday after Thanksgiving) he was bugging me again and I thought “actually, I *should* have gotten my period”, so I took a test. It was a very very very faint line (a real “squinter”). I couldn’t tell. I came out of the bathroom holding the stick and asked DH if he saw anything. He said he didn’t see anything. But I knew a “line is a line” and I knew I needed to re-test in the AM. I tested in the AM with FMU and it was a +. I told DH and we were so excited.

We each told a couple friends, but we kept it very secret. On Christmas/Christmas Eve we told our families. We picked out picture frames and printed a poem to go in them and wrapped them for each family member. We placed our Mom’s present under the tree and hid the others. My Mom cried and cried when she opened it. DH’s Mom was also excited when she opened hers (we do Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with DH’s). It was a very memorable Christmas for me. I will treasure that chance to surprise them.

We did an official “announcement” after the 12 week NST results to everyone else. I told my boss right away but the rest of work at about 20 weeks or so.

"How long till my soul gets it right? Can any human being ever reach the highest light? Except for Galileo, god rest his soul, king of night vision, king of insight." ~ Indigo Girls Anniversary
When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
OceanHuttApollo11235lfk2013islandmonkey8

Re: GTKY Your TTC/GP Story – PGR & Long

• cinderincinderin member
    Ancient Membership 2500 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014

Below is:

The Nursery

Martin - Newborn

Family

Martin - 1 year

Martin - 15 months

"How long till my soul gets it right? Can any human being ever reach the highest light? Except for Galileo, god rest his soul, king of night vision, king of insight." ~ Indigo Girls Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
    sgautschi

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
    sgautschi

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
    sgautschililliesandvino

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
    sgautschi

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013
    sgautschi
  • Haha I love your H's enthusiam with TTC when you were already pregnant (just didn't know it). And love the pictures!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • He's adorable!! And I love all of the colors in the nursery.
  • What a beautiful family!

"You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss

TTC #1 August 2014. BFP 9/26! EDD 6/9/15
    Baby A born 6/17/2015
  • That is a sweet story, and Martin is such a handsome guy!
    Married 2-20-10        Dx PCOS 1-2013         Metformin 500mg 3x/day  Will Start TTC Aug. 2015
  • Hahaha. I almost wish your husband got to implement his schedule. I can on,y imagine how proud he would be if it worked!
    TTC 24 months, IUI #3 BFP 6/4/14 Beta 6/5 58, 6/9 508, 6/11 1227 TWINS! EDD 2/15/15
    With heavy hearts, we said goodbye to our precious angels on 8/12 at 13 weeks 2 days.
    IVF #1 Lup/Brav/Meno, ER 11/28 10R/10F, ET "Rudolph" 4AA embryo 12/3, 7 frosties.
    BFP! Betas: 12/12 225, 12/15 706, 12/17 1512. EDD 8.21.15
    12/29 hb 120. 1/5 perfect, GRAD DAY! 1/15 perfect at OB. NT 2/6 PERFECT, HB 158!

Baby Girl born 8.9.15 at 38.2 due to IUGR 4lb7.8oz 17" 
    Our princess is being watched over by her older siblings every day <3
    Anniversary