Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Book Pirating Site - authors?

So I've been searching for accounts and ways to tighten up my blog security and in doing some have come across a pirating site using one of my reviews as the blurb for a pirated copy of A Shot of Sultry.  Other than issuing a take-down notice for the review itself, is there anything I can do to report the pirating of the book?
imageimage image

Re: Book Pirating Site - authors?

• edited October 2014
    There's a way to report pirated links to Google that keeps them from appearing in search results, but I'm not sure how it's done. Reporting these assholes is like the world's most annoying game of whack-a-mole. 

I wrote this! 
  • This makes my blood boil a little. There was a post in a local expat Facebook group last night, where a guy was complaining about how people were posting links to illegal PDF copies of the Norwegian language textbooks. It generated a ton of traffic overnight, and for the most part he was the one being flamed for it! I was appalled!

The gist of the (admittedly ill-framed) complaint was, "If you can afford to pay $$$ for Norwegian classes, you should pay $ for the books instead of stealing them," and "If you truly can't afford $, use some of the gobs of free language-learning resources available online."

Excuses I saw mentioned before I got too depressed with the world and had to back away:

- "This guy foundout this after he paid his books"

- "The course books are periodically updated - when there is no need for them to be. The only reason for this is to make the previous publication defunct. This denies the student the opportunity to buy the books second hand from the previous years students."

- "The game that I developed 2 years ago got pirated. and i didn't lose nothing."

- "Not everybody is working in Norway. And not all students have free language courses. And not all people working in Norway can afford courses. But some of those people still want to learn the language."
    [This comment came well after multiple mentions of the free online resources.]

- Also "The ones who don't need help shouldn't take it and should buy their own stuff but they shouldn't judge and condemn the ones who don't manage."

- "If you open some of the pdf's you will see that those are 'photocopy/scanned' so nothing illegal there"
    [???WTF???]

I hate days when I realize/remember that there really are people out there who truly don't believe that downloading copyrighted material is theft.
  • I wish more file-sharers realized how crucial library sales are to authors. Many libraries will only order the big, buzzy titles and those requested by their patrons. As of right now, more people have illegally downloaded Alienated than the number who purchased it. And I guarantee these are some of the same folks who email me asking if there's going to be a third book in the series. They don't see the correlation at all.

I wrote this! 
    Skeezon
  • I wish more file-sharers realized how crucial library sales are to authors. Many libraries will only order the big, buzzy titles and those requested by their patrons. As of right now, more people have illegally downloaded Alienated than the number who purchased it. And I guarantee these are some of the same folks who email me asking if there's going to be a third book in the series. They don't see the correlation at all.

Holy crap.  That's awful!
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

taylormillgirl

This makes me ragey
    imageimage image
  • It makes me ragey, too.

Someone recently told me that the numbers you see on torrents aren't a true representation of actual downloads, (something about bots), but it's still a kick to the gut. Two months before Alienated released, some a-hole uploaded the digital galley to a bunch of file sharing sites. One torrent showed over 9k downloads...and this was BEFORE the book had released! Imagine how many more have taken place in the 8 months since then. 

I wrote this! 
  • Can't your publisher try to shut some of these things down?

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• RevJen said:
    Can't your publisher try to shut some of these things down?
    I pay for a service that issues takedown notices on my behalf, but I wasn't joking when I said it's like a game of whack-a-mole. Even if the site removes the file (and that's a big "if"), someone just uploads it again a few days later. It's a never-ending cycle. The main reason I stay vigilant about searching for links is because it's an outlet for my hate. :)

I wrote this! 
    Skeezon
  • It's so frustrating. I've found my book on lots of sites including foreign sites (Russia, Phillipines, etc). All I know to do is report to my publisher who has a entire department to go after these jerks. It sometimes seems like a losing battle.
    I write sexy books. I read all the books. I love dresses & macarons.

image image image 
    image image image