Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

RamaLamaDD

Why are you posting on SO MANY old posts???  You're pulling stuff from weeks and months ago.  What's the deal?

Re: RamaLamaDD

• This is just plain weird.
  • I didn't know they were that old! I have posted an apology on the Relationships board since that's where it was brought up.
  • No need to apologize.  It was just weird that you were bringing up all these old posts!  ;)
  • In ramalama's defense....it's not exactly like there's a ton of new stuff being posted every day.

Besides - as long as the thread is still up, people can still read problems/advice if they're in a similar predicament.  If Ramalama feels like something should be added to the conversation, maybe adding it (even late) will help someone new viewing the threads.  More than just the original poster may benefit from additional words of advice.

Right?  I never understood the need to post immediately - or never.  That (to me) seems weird.

I am actually of the opinion that the Nest needs to restructure the order of their boards.  Keep threads in chronological order, according to the original post date, and then have a separate section (small column on the side, or the first three threads, or something) of "popular now" threads.  That would solve the problem of resurrecting old (which aren't actually all that old) threads when you comment on them.  Would that seem reasonable?
  • OtterJ said:
    In ramalama's defense....it's not exactly like there's a ton of new stuff being posted every day.

Besides - as long as the thread is still up, people can still read problems/advice if they're in a similar predicament.  If Ramalama feels like something should be added to the conversation, maybe adding it (even late) will help someone new viewing the threads.  More than just the original poster may benefit from additional words of advice.

In theory I don't disagree with you.  But some of these posts are OLD and basically dead.  Yes, sure, she can add to them but I guess I don't see the point when I doubt the original poster is actually still reading the post.  A LOT of posters seem to post and run anyhow. 

She's not doing anything wrong, but it just seems pointless.

• I guess I'm just thinking of the long term, bigger picture. 

If these threads were designed to only help the original poster, and that's it - then the original posters would have the ability to remove the thread once their question has been satisfactorily answered.  Since the thread stays, it means that they're designed to stick around and help future readers who lurk around to seek advice as well.  In this case, more opinions/options/suggestions/advice couldn't in any way hurt the thread. 

The only annoyance is that giving more advice late in the game pops the old thread to the top of the board.  That's something that the Nest should worry about fixing - not late commenters.