Getting Pregnant
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What do you think?

Anniversary 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
~TTC Buddies with akcrrr and amandaf6383~
~Knottie/Nestie Besties with *ecinereb* - Congratulations!~
TTC since June 2011 dx: PCOS
Clomid+IUI: Cancelled b/c didn't respond (June 2012)
Femara+Trigger+IUI #1: BFN :-( (July 2013)
Natural Cycle (8/7/13)- BFP!  Beta #1 (9/10/13): 509 Progesterone: 18.64  Beta #2 (9/12/13): 1118
Baby N born 5/9/14

Re: What do you think?

• I think the RESOLVE representative said it well near the end that when done legally, ethically, and responsibly it is a great way to give deserving people a chance to become parents. The examples given of it going wrong seemed to me to have fairly straightforward preventive measures that should have been taken beforehand. This lady should be working to give people resources to craft solid legal documentation and get proper psychological care rather than stopping the process outright.

"You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss

TTC #1 August 2014. BFP 9/26! EDD 6/9/15
    Baby A born 6/17/2015
    sparklingdiamondMRads
  • I think she's off her rocker. Based on this comment from the article "As a 20-year pediatric critical care nurse, Lahl said she also worries about the “primal wound” when a child is separated from its carrier." Um, does she also want to outlaw adoption??

I'm sure there are instances where surrogacy is abused, but that can be said for ANYTHING and I'd be willing to bet that isn't the "norm". If a woman wants to be a surrogate for someone else, why not? I think that there should be a strict contract written out between the parties involved that outlines as many situations as possible,(though I know it's impossible to get them all) so that instances like the abortion example she gave doesn't happen, but I even think that was likely a one-off type deal. Sad, but again, not the norm. I think banning it isn't the answer.

In Christ alone my hope is found. He is my LIGHT, my STRENGTH, and my SONG!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

T-TTC since Dec 2008. PCOS/nonexistant cycles(anovulation) and endo. HSG in '10 revealed both tubes blocked. Lap surgery in Dec '10 to correct. Failed Clomid/IUI and injectable(Bravelle)/IUI cycles so far.  

arj14sparklingdiamondApollo11235
  • I think the RESOLVE representative said it well near the end that when done legally, ethically, and responsibly it is a great way to give deserving people a chance to become parents. The examples given of it going wrong seemed to me to have fairly straightforward preventive measures that should have been taken beforehand. This lady should be working to give people resources to craft solid legal documentation and get proper psychological care rather than stopping the process outright.
    I totally agree with this!  Instead of trying to ban it altogether, why not work to help people who truly this in order to have a child?
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ~TTC Buddies with akcrrr and amandaf6383~
    ~Knottie/Nestie Besties with *ecinereb* - Congratulations!~
    TTC since June 2011 dx: PCOS
    Clomid+IUI: Cancelled b/c didn't respond (June 2012)
    Femara+Trigger+IUI #1: BFN :-( (July 2013)
    Natural Cycle (8/7/13)- BFP!  Beta #1 (9/10/13): 509 Progesterone: 18.64  Beta #2 (9/12/13): 1118
    Baby N born 5/9/14
    Apollo11235
  • The comment about separation makes me enraged. That woman can STFU. I think surrogacy is a beautiful gift if all the ducks are in a row legally.
    TTC #1 since Feb. '12. dx: "unexplained" IF
    After 2 shitty IVF cycles and 1 loss at 6+2 (EDD 11/7/14), DH and I are pursuing DIA.
    11/17/2014 - ACTIVE AND WAITING!
    Pregnancy was never the end goal; being a mom was.
    I've been holding out on GP: I got drunk once and started a blog: Here it is (11/7 update)
    3T<3

sparklingdiamondislandmonkey8
  • This woman is obviously on a campaign to end any and all means of reproduction that do not occur 100% naturally, which pisses me the eff off. Her arguments are weak, and problems that have occurred are easily remedied with the right contracts/legislation (since for some bizarre reason there are states out there who won't allow the use of a contract...wha???).

Payment for surrogacy should not be illegal, but should occur as the parties involved see fit. Counseling for all parties involved should be legally required, though, to make sure everyone is as prepared as possible for any situation that could evolve during the surrogacy/at delivery. 
    image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
    sparklingdiamond
  • This woman is an idiot, plain and simple. I'd like to see any sort of "evidence" that shows that babies born via surrogacy experience psychological harm after being taken from the surrogate and given to their BIOLOGICAL parents. 

The "examples" that she used could all have easily been addressed with a better written contract at the very beginning, and I agree with Lucky that counseling for all involved should be a requirement. Lastly, the question that the little girl asked seems innocent and typical enough. Kids ask questions like that. Grow up and don't take things so personally.

TTC since 3/2012 
    DH - 36; nml swimmers; Me - 36; almost no AMH (last 0.081), low AFC, nml FSH/LH
    Clomid + IUI #1 (6/2013) - BFN; #2 (7/2013) - BFFN
    IVF 1.0 5R/5F/2T (ET 6/11/2014) - no frosties, but BFP 8dp5dt (EDD 3/1/2015) 
    Lost our sweet baby boy, Lincoln Alexander 10/3/2014 (19w)
    IVF 2.0 - ER 3/25/2015 - 3R ZERO mature.
    Ovaries are done...
    DE IVF ER - 12/2/2016 (17R/10F = 8 frosties); FET 1.0 (1/27/2017) - BFP 6dp5dt (EDD 10/16/2017)
    sparklingdiamond
  • Fuck her. No.
    sparklingdiamondFutureMrsWright2012
  • Truth be told, I really don't know how to answer some of the questions she raises. That tells me that surrogacy is not for me, not it is my place to say that it's not for anyone else. Maybe she just knows a lot more about the subject than I do, but maybe she's just a bossy B.
    Married 2011.
    Baby Boy 2015.
  • Truth be told, I really don't know how to answer some of the questions she raises. That tells me that surrogacy is not for me, not it is my place to say that it's not for anyone else. Maybe she just knows a lot more about the subject than I do, but maybe she's just a bossy B.
    What questions? It sounds to me like she has already decided for everyone else why surrogacy is so "wrong". She doesn't give a shit about the fact that couples (same-sex or hetero) may only be able to have a biological child with the aid of a surrogate. I wish she and others like her who think it's okay to decide for other human beings how they can/should live their life would just go away... far far away...

TTC since 3/2012 
    DH - 36; nml swimmers; Me - 36; almost no AMH (last 0.081), low AFC, nml FSH/LH
    Clomid + IUI #1 (6/2013) - BFN; #2 (7/2013) - BFFN
    IVF 1.0 5R/5F/2T (ET 6/11/2014) - no frosties, but BFP 8dp5dt (EDD 3/1/2015) 
    Lost our sweet baby boy, Lincoln Alexander 10/3/2014 (19w)
    IVF 2.0 - ER 3/25/2015 - 3R ZERO mature.
    Ovaries are done...
    DE IVF ER - 12/2/2016 (17R/10F = 8 frosties); FET 1.0 (1/27/2017) - BFP 6dp5dt (EDD 10/16/2017)
    BruinsBabe33LuckyAngel07
    What questions? It sounds to me like she has already decided for everyone else why surrogacy is so "wrong". She doesn't give a shit about the fact that couples (same-sex or hetero) may only be able to have a biological child with the aid of a surrogate. I wish she and others like her who think it's okay to decide for other human beings how they can/should live their life would just go away... far far away...
    I think it is fair to say that there are some questions involved in surrogacy that are not easily answered. 

That doesn't mean you do away with surrogacy. 

There are lots of ethical questions around a lot of things we do as people/humans. That doesn't mean we necessarily need to stop what we are doing, but I think it is OK to raise questions. 

As far as the particular woman in the article, she seems nuts.  
    "How long till my soul gets it right? Can any human being ever reach the highest light? Except for Galileo, god rest his soul, king of night vision, king of insight." ~ Indigo Girls Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013