Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cleaning existing washer/dryer?

My fiancé and I just bought our first house (!!) and the current owner is leaving behind all of the appliances - dishwasher, range, washer, dryer, etc. They seem to be taken well care of, but when we move in, what's the best way to clean them -- most specifically, the washer, dryer, and dishwasher, so they seem "new" to us? Who knows what has been washed/dried in there before and I want to make sure my belongings go in and come out without any yucky residue or anything on them.

The washer is a somewhat older top-load - nothing fancy like those new front-load drums (we hope to buy one soon, though) that you can use the washer cleaners in.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Cleaning existing washer/dryer?

• White vinegar and baking soda will be your best options for cleaning. Make sure for your dishwasher that you remove the roll-out on the bottom and clean out the food trap. For the washer, make sure you run an empty load first so that you can get out any residual detergent, bleach, and clothing dye. In your dryer, you should make sure you disconnect the vent in the back and clean/vacuum it out and also vacuum out the lint trap on the machine as well. The last thing you want is a dryer fire, especially from someone else's dryer lint.
  • Thanks, that's all very helpful. I was hoping I wouldn't get the answer of "use bleach" since I'm sensitive to it and I worry it will stain whatever I run through the appliances after cleaning. Thanks again!