Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Trying to clean out the filing cabinet....?

Hello all,

I am working on cleaning out the filing cabinet that is overflowing and I was wondering on how far back do you keep bills? Are there certain ones I don't need to worry about keeping at all? Just wondering how you all do this.

TIA

Re: Trying to clean out the filing cabinet....?

• Typically, I don't keep anything past 1 year, and if a service has been terminated, I shred everything older than 6 months, as long as I have proof of cancellation. Don't throw anything tax-related out. You should keep those, as sometimes loans and mortgages require back taxes of up to 7 years. 

It might be best for you to start keeping things digitally - saves room and trees, and you can organize it easily, too!
  • We actually keep everything from the past 2 years. Every year we throw out the old stuff and start a new section.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image

• for most things it's two years, except taxes i keep back 10 years. I think technically you only need 7 years for taxes, but because of a tax situation hubby ran into, I'm keeping things longer. Also any records for debits paid I'm keeping for a while to make sure I have documentation in case anything pops back up on our credit reports as being  unpaid. At least for a few years after they've been paid.

• irkirk member
    First Comment
    Most of my bills that I pay monthly I don't keep but a yr. Anything tax related stays 10 yrs to be safe. I also separate all insurances and warranties. Have a completely different file for investments etc...