Delaware Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How old is "too old"?

How old do you think is too old to have a baby? I see these celebrities having babies well into their 40's but at what age do you think that even if they still have the potential to reproduce they shouldnt?

I just saw where a 47 year old woman just had a baby. I think 47 is way too old. Adopting a baby at 47, ok, but actually giving birth at 47? Maybe I am being a bit close minded, but how fertile could a 45+ year old woman really be? You cant tell me that all these celebs over 40 are getting pregnant the good old fashion way. Or all the ones having sets of twins.

Maybe I am just bitter. But what do you think?

Re: How old is "too old"?

• I don't think I'd want to be pregnant at 47. My cousin got his girlfriend pregnant at 42, naturally, and even then people were like "woahhhh". I guess it's different for everyone but I would like to, fingers crossed, be done having kids by 35. That's assuming all goes as planned though and we all know that almost never happens.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't know...that is a tough one. I'm like @amcourt09 I want to be totally done by 35. I know nothing is guaranteed and what not, but I would like to still be young enough to enjoy my grandchildren. I know having a kid at 19 isn't under the best circumstances, but hell, A will be 21 when I'm 40. There is no way I would want to be pregnant at that age, but if someone got married later in life, and then decided they really wanted children, whatever floats their boat.
    A: 10.02.03    M: 01.28.11
  • I think its kind of old to be pregnant, but more so what would stop me from having a kid at 47 is the fact that I would be almost 70 when the kid graduated from high school!

• I feel 47 is too old, but it's situational as others said. I'd like to stay under 35 just to prevent the added risks, but to each their own.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 47 is too old for me. We're done at two, but we wanted to be done by the time M turned 40.
  • My cousin had a baby at 44, but it was when she got married. Hopefully, I'll be pregnant with #2 by 35. I don't think there will be more. The risks scare me.

• my SIL had her girls at 38 and 39. that sounds old to me, but she doesn't act old so it didn't bother me in her case....
  • I can't imagine having a kid at 47...for the same seasons posted....being very old when they graduate and not being around for grandchildren. I also hope to be pregnant or done by 35 depending how quickly I get pregnant again.
    Met 6.12.09 Engaged 09.29.10 I Do 10.22.11 
    BFP #1 8.19.12 Ectopic 8.29.12
    BFP #2 1.14.13 DS 10.6.13 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 3e4e397b-bd1a-4854-a3fc-944df770c8e5_zps809b131e.jpg
  • Mrs.Skiz said:

How old do you think is too old to have a baby? I see these celebrities having babies well into their 40's but at what age do you think that even if they still have the potential to reproduce they shouldnt?

And just imagine, they're probably actually older than we think they are!