GP Moms
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pregnancy acne

So, I look like I did when I was 14...yay. What do you use? I know a lot of things are off limits like retinols etc. I generally try to stay paraben free and LOVE St. Ives stuff, but not sure about the salcylic acid...I've read conflicting data.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Pregnancy acne

• Same thing happened to me during 1st tri. Once 2nd tri came, it cleared up a bit. Once about 16w hit, my skin has been great! I never changed my face wash routine. I've kept it to washing with Tea Tree Oil face wash from The Body Shop in the morning and using face cleansing wipes to get my makeup off before bed. That's it.
    My Chart
    My Goodreads Read Shelf

* After 22 months and 2 failed IUIs, we finally got our BFP *
    DS delivered naturally at 41w6d on 4/18/14
    * TTC #2  March 2015 *

• I still use Proactive. Well, I stopped until 10 weeks but went back, it's not worth suffering through the cystic acne I was getting to avoid the chemicals. I avoid other things like my Rx cream, and I've kept it at bay for the most part. And generally speaking, I try to avoid most other things with chemicals (hairspray, nail polish, deoderant, most makeup, OTC meds, etc.) so this is the one thing I allow myself. I really didn't want to go through pregnancy feeling like a monster!

TTC September 2013 | BFP 11/21/13 | Chart | EDD 8/3/14 | It's a girl! 

DD born at 42 weeks 1 day | 8/18/14 5:33am | 8lbs 4oz 20.25in of perfection!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't had much problem in this area since switching to Goat Milk Stuff's tea tree oil soap. I've been using it for over a year now (wow, I just realized it had been that long!). I rarely need to apply the benzoyl peroxide spot treatment I keep on hand (which I probably won't even buy more of once it's all gone).

You can find straight tea tree oil at many stores (I know I've seen small bottles of it in Target's pharmacy section, and natural food stores will definitely have it). Dabbing a bit of it on problem spots can help clear them up without using the typical chemicals.
    image image
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
  • I changed to Boscia black. I get it at sephora

imageimageimage
           Me: All Normal DH: .5% Morph
    Cycles 1-14 (Natural) all BFN
                                  Starting IUI#1 procedures Nov '13
                          IUI Cxl'd due to surprise natural BFP 11/1/13
            Calvin born on June 19th, 2014 via emergency c-section at 3lbs7oz

• Thanks for the input, I've never heared of Boscia...sounds fancy :) I've used tea tree oil in the past for my acne and rosacea, but haven't used it for a while b/c I haven't had problems. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'm sick of looking like a 14 year old/having people ask if I went snowboarding b/c I look so windburned! I will have to try some new stuff! Where do you get the Goat's Milk Stuff?

BabyFetus Ticker

• Just Google Goat Milk Stuff. They're a family-run online business. I always get my soap within a couple of days of placing my order!

image image
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    Badge Unicorn
  • Dessert Essence Tea Tree Oil cleanser followed by their moisturizer.  You can find it at Whole Foods
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • my dr and midwife vetoed tea tree oil :( So...I found a different face wash they approve. It's sulfate and paraben free...it's pretty much just soap that smells like oranges...we'll see how this goes. (there were a few more on their "ok" list but I'm allergic to coconut, so couldn't use any of the other ones either) It was also impossible to find a moisturizer that was coconut free that was also all the pregnancy no nos free! I ended up getting a "man" facial lotion for sensitive skin that seems to be doing good...Hopefully together they work :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Why in the world did they veto tea tree oil? Did they explain why?

image image
    TTC since July 2012
    Badge Unicorn
  • My acne was actually better during pregnancy. After having DD is when the problem really started.

I am no help but good luck :)
  • She said as it is toxic when ingested, and they are unsure how much is absorbed by the skin. There have been little to no studies on safety of it during pregnancy other than during labor (where it decreases contractions and elongates labor) and it is reccomended for use only under supervision of your doctor, and she said no, so I'm not using it. My rosacea is looking better already though with the mens cooling after shave lotion, and zits...we'll see about those...

BabyFetus Ticker