GP Moms
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: VENT and Question

I've already mentioned this to some of you ladies, but here's the vent:

We just found out yesterday that the ILs (including BILs and SIL) are on a family vacation right now to celebrate SILs birthday. No one invited us, or even told us they were going. They live local to us, so it's not like they have that excuse, and I know this was planned in advance because SIL has to give crazy notice for PTO. They do this all the time, even with littler things, like going out to dinner and inviting everyone except us. I know they don't intentionally not invite us, but they just don't put the effort in to think about us. If that makes sense. Anyways, the kicker is that they went on vacation to a town where DHs best friend lives, and they plan to visit him while they are there. 

The worst part though is that MIL constantly complains that she "never gets to see the baby", which is annoying for two reasons: 1) We make an effort to see them, they don't reciprocate and 2) "The baby" has a name..

So onto my question:

DH has decided that we (me, him and A) are going to go on our own vacation. So what kinds of places do you recommend/not recommend with a 5 month old? I'm thinking the beach, get a decent hotel room and just walk around and enjoy the view. Maybe visit an aquarium. FWIW, A is a pretty easy going baby. Does this sound like a good plan? Or am I crazy?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP: VENT and Question

• That would piss me right off!

I took DS to Cape Cod when he was 5 months old and we loved it. But it was August so...

We also took him to Cuba when he was 10 months - Cuba was fine, but not with a 10 month old who was trying to learn to walk.

Do you want to drive or fly? Go soon or wait until the summer?

First date July 31, 1999    Married January 28, 2009 

TTC#1 July 2010 PCOS dx April 2011 
    DS born: February 21, 2012

TTC#2 June 2013 MMC Sept 2013 (partial molar), CP 02/2014 DS2 born: December 5, 2014
  • We will be driving, and plan to go for my birthday next month. We live in California, so it's already spring weather, and the beach is only a couple hours away.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry @sgautschi. That's really messed up of them. FWIW, my SIL and BIL do the same thing. They planned a vacation with MIL and FIL and didn't ask us. It was only after the fact, but at that point we couldn't budget to even go. 

I think the beach would be loads of fun with A. I come from a family that loves beach vacations, so I'm partial. My parents started when I was 6 months old and did it every summer with my mom's sisters (which means my cousins and siblings have been going since they were small too). I'm sure the three of you will have an amazing time!

Anniversary

.. Living our happily ever after <3

sgautschi
  • Hmm, I don't have any advice on west coast beaches, but I would say that she will be fine! 5 months is a great time to travel with her as long as she doesn't mind her car seat and you guys are willing to give up the routine for a bit. Enjoy your bday trip!
    First date July 31, 1999    Married January 28, 2009 

TTC#1 July 2010 PCOS dx April 2011 
    DS born: February 21, 2012

TTC#2 June 2013 MMC Sept 2013 (partial molar), CP 02/2014 DS2 born: December 5, 2014
    sgautschi
  • We took Ava Nichol to the beach when she was 5 months. We brought her activity center so she could sit up and out of the sand and she had fun.
    imageimageimage"Image">image"Image">image
    Our Little Raspberry-Born 3/27/12
    We Said I Do 09/06/09
    We love our Frankie Dog (5yo pit) and our Paco Kitty Dx Endo 12/09 Lupron 3/10-9/10 BFP 08/11 Bday 3/27/12 Lap Surgery 2/26/13
    image"Birthday"">
    sgautschi
  • I think the beach might be a great experience for her, although she's not likely to do very much. My niece was around 10 months the first time she went on a beach. The first time she felt the sand, she was less than thrilled, but she warmed up to it after a little while, and my sister spent a couple of hours with her out there the next day. A will likely be a little afraid of the waves, but staying where they just roll up over her feet might be fun for her to experience, if the water is warm enough.
    image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
    sgautschi
  • I think the beach sounds like an awesome idea!

I would be upset with ILs if they did that, especially "the baby" that would drive me insane! I'm so sorry they left you guys out. I hope you get to have an awesome family vacation. 
    DX: 6/2012 PCOS  TTC: 6/2013  BFP: 9/6/2013  Attempt Natural m/c: 10/29/2013 D&C: 2/20/2014
    BFP 2: 7/7/2014 Beta 7/8: 115, Beta 7/12: 638, Beta 7/16: 3793, Beta 7/21: 21,625

Pregnancy Ticker
    sgautschi
  • Oh and we get "the baby" all the time because family members didn't like that she has two names. So they just refuse to say her name at all. It is dumb and still bothers me.
    We Said I Do 09/06/09
    We love our Frankie Dog (5yo pit) and our Paco Kitty Dx Endo 12/09 Lupron 3/10-9/10 BFP 08/11 Bday 3/27/12 Lap Surgery 2/26/13
    image"Birthday"">
  • @wiggylilsis That's annoying. They need to get over the fact that it's her name, always will be unless she decides to change it. Luckily I know they love A's name and are probably just saying that because it's easier or whatever, but it is really annoying.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is annoying! She is a person with a name. Do you make a point of using her name? Like they ask about the baby and you say well A is doing this and this?
    We Said I Do 09/06/09
    image"Birthday"">
  • It is annoying! She is a person with a name. Do you make a point of using her name? Like they ask about the baby and you say well A is doing this and this?

A little, but not always. I'll need to get in a better habit of it. I usually just ignore it.

Pregnancy Ticker