Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

@RevJen - Deathly Hallows & HP series spoilers

packfan20packfan20 member
5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
edited October 2013 in Nest Book Club
I disliked that Snape was good.  Really.  I didn't like that all of his awful actions we really for the good.  I just didn't buy it and I wanted him to be bad.  Just how I felt.

#alwaysasnapehater
Books read in 2009: 112
Books read in 2010: 153
Books read in 2011: 160
Books read in 2012: 134
Books read in 2013: 110
Books read in 2014: 151
Books read in 2015: 153
Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
<a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
ThisModernLove

Re: @RevJen - Deathly Hallows &amp; HP series spoilers

• What would it have added to the story if he had been pure evil?

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• Snape ISN'T good, though. He's still a total dick...obsessed to the point of being creepy, he was legit awful to Harry through the series, he's not a nice person. He did some things that redeemed him, but I wouldn't call him GOOD.
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    MrsC7katienichols08
  • Snape ISN'T good, though. He's still a total dick...obsessed to the point of being creepy, he was legit awful to Harry through the series, he's not a nice person. He did some things that redeemed him, but I wouldn't call him GOOD.
    @Young_Love put it perfectly.  Snape had at least one redeeming quality, but he wasn't "good." 
    image imageimage
  • True.  I felt that because Dumbledore always trusted him, JKR had to have Snape not evil, like the equivalent of a 'boy & girl living happily ever after" ending.  What would it have added to the story?  I don't know.  But what if Dumbledore had been wrong the entire time?  What if Snape really killed Dumbledore because he was just a nasty wizard, not because it had been planned?  Harry says that Snape was the "bravest man he knew".  Would you consider a guy who is just cruel to be brave?  And then Harry names his kid after him? 
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • I didn't like it at first either, tbh.  But over the years, I've come to realize just how brilliant his character is.  He's probably one of the most lifelike characters ever.  I include him in the Jamie and Claire category in that he could just step off the page and breathe.

I never got the happily ever after vibe from his story.  And yes, I think that someone can be a right bastard but do something altruistic.  That's what it was.  As sad, bitter and misguided as he was, he protected Harry to the best of his ability for Lily's sake.  Even when his feelings for James spilled over onto Harry.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

katienichols08booknerd226
  • RevJen said:
    I didn't like it at first either, tbh.  But over the years, I've come to realize just how brilliant his character is.  He's probably one of the most lifelike characters ever.  I include him in the Jamie and Claire category in that he could just step off the page and breathe.

I never got the happily ever after vibe from his story.  And yes, I think that someone can be a right bastard but do something altruistic.  That's what it was.  As sad, bitter and misguided as he was, he protected Harry to the best of his ability for Lily's sake.  Even when his feelings for James spilled over onto Harry.
    This is what I thought as well. It's part of what made him so real to me.

Brie's Blog 10.11.08  The Top Shelf Bookshelf

my read shelf: Brianna's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I agree with RevJen. He is such a complex character and I loved wondering all along whether he was good or bad. I was shocked during The Prince's Tale chapter but loved how it was all wrapped up.