Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Facebook question

If someone blocks you on FB does it basically appear as though they don't exist? Like their comments just disappear? Or does that mean they have deleted their account? I am trying to figure out if my brother has deleted his account or if he just blocked me, my sister, and my BIL. I suppose it doesn't matter ultimately. I'm just curious.

Re: Facebook question

• If you're blocked it's as if they don't exist to you. I've been blocked by a friend and found out I was unblocked recently when I could go to their facebook page again. 

So yeah, in this case, the only way you'll know if he deleted it or blocked you is if you ask him. Blocking basically is just like deleting except in only affects those blocked. 
  • Ok, got it. Well, I can't ask him since I don't have his current phone number. I guess I could ask his daughter if he is still on there, but I don't want to start anything. Hopefully he will get over it and quit being childish. He blocked us because he didn't want to hear our "liberal crap" but was perfectly fine with spewing his conservative crap all the time. Whatever.
  • Ok, got it. Well, I can't ask him since I don't have his current phone number. I guess I could ask his daughter if he is still on there, but I don't want to start anything. Hopefully he will get over it and quit being childish. He blocked us because he didn't want to hear our "liberal crap" but was perfectly fine with spewing his conservative crap all the time. Whatever.
    Don't ask her, that seems like it could start a fight.  He either blocked you or deleted his fbpage.  Either way he doesn't want to see your fb and he doesn't want you to see his.
  • Yeah, I am not going to bring it up. I found out from my sister that before he blocked us all he said some really horrible things about me and my husband (whom he has never even met) and was treating her very badly too. I don't think I am even going to try to salvage this if he's going to act like that. I am hurt and upset, but I'm not going to let him treat me and my sister like garbage.
  • I unfriended my husband's niece because I found lots of her posts distasteful and degrading to women... and I'm hardly a prude. I simply unfriended her, no bashing, no comments and I was accused for causing a rift. For me, Facebook was a way to keep in touch but some people choose to use it as a platform for their extreme beliefs, to get a rise out of people, air grievances or let the skeletons come rushing out their closets. I may be shutting my account down soon.
    Good luck to you. Sounds like your brother over personalized this. There's no reason for him to say hateful things.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't post political things on FB please. Seriously its super annoying to everyone, but no one wants to tell you or your BIL.  Let it be.  Its only FB its not real life.  The only thing I would address is your real life relationship. 
  • Why don't you search him on Facebook with different FB account?
  • Usually it means they have blocked you.

FB really sucks --- people sure get political and strange about things. Sometimes you'll be blocked and you'll never know why they did it.

Moral to the story: don't take it personally. It's "Them" and not you.
  • Normally I don't. He posted something that was factually incorrect and I responded. My sister agreed with me and he acted like a huge baby and now has cut us both off. Oh well. His loss.