Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone have RA or another autoimmune?

A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and my doctors think it is Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I am wondering if anyone else is dealing with something similar and if so what you do to keep yourself feeling good.  I know exercise is supposed to help but it's hard to get up the motivation when I'm so tired.  Plus, when I push myself too hard during a workout I end up feeling so much worse.  If you have discovered anything that keeps you healthier, I'd love to hear it.

Re: Anyone have RA or another autoimmune?

• I have Hashi's. Before I started treatment I was so depressed and had zero energy. Honestly, making myself keep exercising is what I think saved me from being sicker than I was.

Yoga has really helped me. I also take a multi, calcium, and omega vitamins everyday. I've heard great things about RA and water workouts...so maybe you could look into that.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. I know how it feels to not feel well, feel like there's nothing you can do about, and have no one understand. Hang in there! It does get better!

• I've got Pernicious Anemia (antibodies attack the paretial cells in my stomach, making it impossible to absorb B12 from food), and like frdmgir7, before I started treatment I was very depressed and had absolutely no energy.  Before the diagnosis, I just thought I had gotten really lazy, as I had gone from working out 5-6x/week to barely being able to walk around the grocery store without being overcome with fatigue, in the course of about a year and a half.  Just getting diagnosed and getting treated was a huge step, and even though I feel fine now (with monthly B12 injections), getting a ton of sleep, eating well, and getting a good dose of exercise several times a week is so important to feeling good and not being depressed.

Good luck, and hopefully you can start treatment to minimize the RA symptoms soon.

• I have 2 clients who have RA and one has it very severe and the other has that and lupus but her symptoms don't present as bad client #1.  I do strength training and Pilates with them and just try to work within their tolerable limits.  If you have access to a classically trained Pilates instructor then I would do some private sessions of 30 minutes with one. 

Good luck...fortunately it seems like RA is something they are constantly researching and trying new drug combinations, etc.

• I was diagnosed with SLE and I find that working out helps a TON. I might feel super tired afer, buyt my hips always thank me.

Try to stick to light to moderate activity...no running