Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Question re: The Book Thief (spoilers)

First of all, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who recommended this book.  I stayed up most of the night last night reading it--I just couldn't put it down once I started.  The vignette The Word Shaker was one of the most poignant pieces of writing I've read. 

So here's something I'm wondering about:  Did Liesel and Max get married?  At the end, when Death comes for Liesel, he mentions her thinking about her husband and children.  Then the next chapter is where Max finds Liesel again.  But there's never a definite connection between the two.  Are we just supposed to assume that that is what happened?  It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of the book, but one nuance I'm wondering about.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Question re: The Book Thief (spoilers)

• Wasn't it so good?!  I didn't get that impression about Max and Liesel.  I thought they were just good friends.  But I could be wrong, I'm curious to hear what everyone else says.
    image image
  • That thought did occur to me, but I wasn't really sure what to think.  That's the one thing I wish the author had done differently...explained more about what happened with Liesel and Max after the war ended.
    ~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
    Our Blog!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So glad you enjoyed that book- it's one of my favorites, probably ever.

I did not get the impression that she married Max, but I really wish she would have! I did find myself wanting more info on her life in between. 

image image image
  • I ended the book HOPING it was Max that she married. I hated that we didn't really know what happened with Max because he was really my favorite character, so I kinda linked them together in my head because it is what made me the most happy, and I imagine it would have made Hans most happy, too. 

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't think they did.  I think they stayed friends.
  • image Young_Love:

I ended the book HOPING it was Max that she married. I hated that we didn't really know what happened with Max because he was really my favorite character, so I kinda linked them together in my head because it is what made me the most happy, and I imagine it would have made Hans most happy, too. 

Ditto this.  I think the author left it open-ended so that you could read whatever you want into it.  Such a great book!

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • I don't think that she married Max. I took the lack of info about her husband and children to mean they were unrelated to the previous time of her life that we had read about.
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne